Barbarian Whirlwind Build With Wrath of the Wastes
Welcome to our build guide for Whirlwind Wastes Barbarian in Diablo 3. Here, you will learn everything you need to know to play this build at the highest level. This build is updated for patch 2.6.5 and Season 17.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our follower guide, which contains detailed advice on choosing the skills and the gear of your companion.
This end game Barbarian build elevates the power of the Wrath of the Wastes set to the next level with its synergistic weapon set, the agile and adaptable Bul-Kathos's Oath. The build is available in both Greater Rift solo progression and regular Rift farming variations, explained in that order.
2. Quick Reference
2.1. Skill Setup
The basic skill setup of the Whirlwind Barbarian is displayed below. Read the dedicated Skills page for detailed information on choices, alternatives and build customization.
|Ancient Spear Rage Flip Whirlwind Blood Funnel 1 Ignore Pain Ignorance is Bliss 2 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity 3 Battle Rage Bloodshed 4 War Cry Impunity|
|Furious Charge Merciless Assault Whirlwind Hurricane 1 Sprint Marathon 2 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity 3 Battle Rage Ferocity 4 War Cry Veteran's Warning|
3.1. Gear Setup
The required gear setup for the Whirlwind Barbarian is listed below. Check the Gear page for detailed information on choices, alternatives, gemming, Kanai's Cube and Paragon distribution.
- Helm: Helm of the Wastes
- Shoulders: Pauldrons of the Wastes
- Gloves: Gauntlet of the Wastes
- Chest: Cuirass of the Wastes
- Belt: Pride of Cassius
- Pants: Tasset of the Wastes (or Swamp Land Waders in Season 16)
- Boots: Sabaton of the Wastes
- Bracers: Ancient Parthan Defenders
- Amulet: Hellfire Amulet of Strength
- Ring 1: Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac
- Ring 2: Convention of Elements
- Weapon: Bul-Kathos's Solemn Vow
- Offhand: Bul-Kathos's Warrior Blood
3.2. Legendary Gems
3.3. Kanai's Cube
4. Role in the Current Meta
This build is ranked as a High Tier solo pushing build for its class in the current Season. If high leaderboard position without strict adherence to the meta is attractive to you, consider using this build.
This is a versatile build, able to handle all three major activities in the game (Greater Rifts, Normal Rifts and Bounties) with the adjustments outlined in this guide. It is not recommended for group Greater Rifts past the point where every party member can handle the content on his own.
- 13 May 2019 (gear page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 13 May 2019 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 13 May 2019 (skills page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 20 Jan. 2019 (gear page): Added a small clarification on stat priority for the rings to better reflect the possible rolls on the Zodiac ring.
- 16 Jan. 2019 (gear page): Added suggestions for the baseline Ring of Royal Grandeur for Seasonal characters.
- 16 Jan. 2019 (skills page): Information was reviewed and approved for Season 16 with no changes required.
- 16 Jan. 2019 (this page): Guide was revised with additional recommendations for Season 16.
- 20 Sep. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 15.
- 14 Jun. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 14.
- 26 Nov. 2017 (this page): Revised the build's weaponry composition to better reflect 2.6.1 buffs.
- 26 Nov. 2017 (gear page): Switched from the Istvan's Paired Blades to the Bul-Kathos's Oath set.
- 26 Nov. 2017 (skills page): Revisited the skills to reflect the build switching from the Istvan's Paired Blades to the Bul-Kathos's Oath set.
- 31 Oct. 2017 (this page): No changes necessary for Patch 2.6.1, but the changes to other builds made this one drop from Top tier to Mid tier.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for 2.6 and moved to new format.
- Diablo Immortal: Potential Monetization Model
- Season 17 Guides: All Classes
- Season 17 Guides: Crusader, Demon Hunter and Monk
- LoN Builds to Enjoy in Season 17 Part 2
- Season 17 Guides: Barbarian and Necromancer
- Challenge Rift 99 Guides
- Patch 2.6.5 Now Live + Patch Notes
- LoN Builds to Enjoy in Season 17 - Featuring Deadset
- Poison Dart Witch Doctor (Patch 2.6.4)
- LoN Solo Skeletons Necromancer (Patch 2.6.4)
- s17 LoN builds
- Demon Hunter Natalya's Vengeance Set Dungeon
- LoN HotA Barbarian (Patch 2.6.5)
- Avarice Conquest
- Wizard question
- Grasp Witch Doctor (Patch 2.6.4)