Alarak Abilities and Strategy
Welcome to our Abilities page for Alarak. Here, we give you an overview of every ability in Alarak's kit. For each of them, we explain what it does, how to best use it, and how it works in combination with Alarak's other abilities. We also give you strategy tips to play Alarak efficiently.
Alarak's Tips and Tricks
- Use Discord Strike to Silence and damage your enemies, leaving them vulnerable.
- Use Telekinesis to propel yourself into range of a kill, or push yourself to safety. You can also push enemies into danger!
- Lightning Surge is a great way to recover small amounts of Health as needed. Always try to hit enemies with the center of its beam for extra damage.
- Deadly Charge can be channeled from the fog of war due to its huge range, allowing you to enter fights by surprise. Make sure your team is ready as you have no escape.
- Make whatever choices will help you establish dominance; even if that means sacrificing some of Sadism's bonus damage for utility options.
Alarak's Ability damage and self-healing are increased by 100% against enemy Heroes.
Repeatable Quest: Takedowns increase Sadism by 3%, up to 30%. Sadism gained from Takedowns is lost on death.
Alarak deals relatively low base damage with his Abilities when compared to other Assassins. Sadism serves to bring his damage more in line with other Assassins when using his Abilities on enemy Heroes; however, his non-Heroic damage remains mediocre. This helps to define Alarak as an anti-Hero who should focus on damaging and disabling the enemy team, rather than pushing lanes or clearing Mercenary Camps.
- Mana: 55
- Cooldown: 8 seconds
After a 0.5 second delay, enemies in front of Alarak take 175 (+4% per level) damage and are silenced for 1.5 seconds.
Discord Strike is Alarak's primary tool for disabling enemy Heroes. Because it requires a brief channel time, Discord Strike is best used in combination with Telekinesis. It can also be used effectively as follow-up for crowd control provided by team members. Sometimes enemies will be predictable, and can be hit without the use of Telekinesis. This is preferable, as it leaves Telekinesis open for securing kills or as an escape.
Discord Strike can be used to clear lanes effectively if Chaos Reigns is stacked. It should only be used this way if you need to quickly soak an empty lane. If enemy Heroes are nearby, Discord Strike is too important to waste on Minions.
- Mana: 30
- Cooldown: 12 seconds
Create a force, pushing Alarak and all enemies hit from the targeted point towards the targeted direction. Deals 48 (+4% per level) damage to enemies.
Telekinesis should often be used to pull enemy Heroes into Discord Strike. This is accomplished by casting Telekinesis and immediately following it up with Discord Strike. Landing the combo comfortably will take some practice, but it is important to begin casting Discord Strike before the Telekinesis animation is complete. If you wait to aim Discord Strike, your target will have time to move out of the way. Telekinesis can be applied in a variety of other ways as well. It serves as Alarak's escape, his only form of peel, and can be used to push enemy Heroes into active AoE crowd controls.
- Mana: 25
- Cooldown: 6 seconds
Deal 62 (+4% per level) damage to an enemy and an additional 100% damage to enemies between Alarak and the target. Restore 70 (+4% per level) health for each Hero hit.
Lightning Surge enables Alarak to poke most enemy Heroes from a safe distance, and will also heal him for a flat amount for each Hero hit. Sadism does modify this healing. If multiple enemy Heroes are struck by the beam, the healing can become quite significant. Use Lightning Surge to harass enemy Heroes whenever it is available. Remember that you can target enemy Minions and Structures directly behind your intended targets, allowing you to get a little more value out of Lightning Surge in many situations. You should always be looking for opportunities to hit enemy Heroes with the center of the beam. Playing a build specialized for Lightning Surge is a good way to practice this behavior, and can help you see opportunities to hit multiple enemies with each cast.
- Cooldown: 45 seconds
After channeling, Alarak charges forward dealing 200 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies in his path. Distance is increased based on the amount of time channeled, up to 1.5 seconds.
Issuing a Move order while this is channeling will cancel it at no cost. Taking damage will interrupt the channeling.
Deadly Charge can deal massive damage to several enemy Heroes, or deal fatal damage to a low health enemy who is fleeing a team fight. You will be fully committed after your charge, so make sure your team is ready before you charge in. If your team does not want to commit to a fight, you may cancel the channel at any time. Attempting to channel Deadly Charge while inside or behind an enemy Minion wave will not work, as the Minions will attack you and cancel your channel. Deadly Charge is more risky than Counter-Strike, because its defensive uses are limited.
- Mana: 50
- Cooldown: 30 seconds
Alarak targets an area and channels for 1 second, becoming Protected and Unstoppable. After, if he took damage from an enemy Hero, he sends a shockwave that deals 275 (+4% per level) damage.
Counter-Strike is a great Heroic option that can be used to save Alarak from high damage Abilities, hard crowd control, or simply to deal burst damage during a fight. When using Counter-Strike primarily as a damage source, enemy damage over time effects will proc the strike very reliably. You will need to think ahead and counter an enemy attack, which is much different than the hard engage you get from Deadly Charge. It is generally recommended over Deadly Charge due to the control and versatility it provides.
- 30 Aug. 2019: Guide reviewed to ensure meta relevance after balance patch.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Guide reviewed to ensure meta relevance.
- 16 May 2017: Abilities page updated following Alarak's rework in D.va's release patch.
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: October 11th
- Heroic Deals: October 8th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 8th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: October 4th
- Gamespot Interview with J. Allen Brack
- Heroes of the Storm Hotfixes: October 2nd
- Heroic Deals: October 1st
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 1st
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Varian
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters