Barbarian Wrath of the Wastes Fresh 70 Starter Build (Patch 2.7 / Season 23)
This build is a starter build for fresh Level 70 Barbarians who have access to the Wrath of the Wastes set.
This guide is part of our Barbarian Seasonal Progress Guide, which also includes a leveling build and other early builds for fresh 70 characters.
Fresh 70 Build
|Rend Lacerate Whirlwind Wind Shear 1 Battle Rage Bloodshed 2 Sprint Marathon 3 War Cry Impunity 4 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity|
The Wrath of the Wastes starter build will be fairly similar to the leveling and fresh 70 build, keeping its rotation and general strategy with minor adjustments.
How to Play the Build: Skills and Rotation
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the Leveling and Fresh 70 Build, but others will have to adapt to the set you are currently equipping. Abilities that synergize with set bonuses and complementary items take precedence.
- Your main damage dynamic will still be split by the resource-efficient, self-sustaining spender Whirlwind (taken with the thriftiest runes of them all, Wind Shear) and the massive DoT provided by Rend. At least early on, take the highest base damage of the rune Lacerate, with the added bonus of elemental synergy with your other spender.
- Empowered by the Wrath of the Wastes 2-piece bonus, Rend will no longer require the crowd control of Ground Stomp to be devastatingly effective; the slot will transition to the staple damage buff of Battle Rage Bloodshed.
- You will also be swapping out (or staying with, depending on your leveling approach) Leap for Sprint Marathon, as the 4-piece Wrath of the Wastes set puts a much larger emphasis on Whirlwinding for overall damage reduction, and Sprint does not interrupt channeling.
- War Cry is a utility-oriented pick, and you can adapt it to your needs; aside from the base toughness increase included in its unruned effect, you can adapt for additional resources with Charge!, or get some extra protection with Impunity.
- Last but not least, the mighty Barbarian buff Wrath of the Berserker will find a plce in your skill selection and pretty much never leave; on top of its base increases to attack and movement speed, crit stats and dodge chance, it also adds the multiplicative damage increase of the Insanity rune. Coupled with the potential to obtain all the runes for free when you find a Mortick's Brace, this skill becomes an essential in your arsenal.
- The focus on ceaseless Whirlwinding will also make Fury regeneration passives like Unforgiving and Animosity (weapon agnostic) and Weapons Master (stronger, but weapon-specific) more attractive.
- You will finish off your passive selection with the staple multiplicative damage increase vs. lower health enemies, Ruthless.
The build above is specifically created not to require any additional sets or legendary items. In order to transition to a late game-oriented spec using the same set, we have listed the top three priority items to obtain when starting out with this set.
- Ambo's Pride — this legendary sword is a centerpiece legendary for Wrath of the Wastes, marrying the two skills the mechanics of the set are based upon into a cohesive, synergistic whole. It brings two massive powers: first, it applies Rend to enemies you Whirlwind through and second, it deals Rend's 15 seconds worth of DoT (extended by the Wastes 2-piece set bonus) in a condensed, single second punch.
- Lamentation — this legendary mighty belt allows for the doubled application of Rend on a single target, drastically increasing the damge potential of an equipped Ambo's Pride.
- Mortick's Brace — this class-specific legendary bracer grants you the effect of every Wrath of the Berserker rune: from the staple 50% damage increase of Insanity, through the burst damage additions of Arreat's Wail and Slaughter, to the protective and utility bonuses of Striding Giant and Thrive on Chaos.
End-Game Wrath of the Wastes Builds
The mini-guide above is simply meant to acquaint you with the set and how a build with just the Haedrig's Gift (or a newly found set), and no supporting legendaries would play out. We have the following endgame-oriented builds that use the set, and encourage you to explore these much stronger playstyles!
- 02 Apr. 2021: Reviewed for Season 23.
- 13 Mar. 2020: Reviewed for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- All Class Skills for Amazon, Barbarian and Sorceress in Action in Diablo 2: Ressurected
- First Dupes Found on Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha
- Korean Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha to Be Extended, Possibly in the West as Well?
- Diablo 2: Resurrected in Ultrawide 32:9, 5120x1440
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Diablo II Resurrected Technical Alpha Starting April 8th
- Signs of the Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha: Korean Test Announced
- Razor Strop Fix for Game Freezes and Connection issues