Crusader Invoker Thorns Build
Welcome to our build guide for Invoker Thorns Crusader in Diablo 3. Here, you will learn everything you need to know to play this build at the highest level. This build is updated for patch 2.6.4 and Season 16.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our follower guide, which contains detailed advice on choosing the skills and the gear of your companion.
The Thorns of the Invoker set unlocks a powerful, retaliation-based playstyle with what used to be the laughing stock of stats, Thorns. This tanky, utility and cooldown-oriented playstyle is available in both Greater Rift solo progression and regular Rift farming variations, explained in that order.
2. Quick Reference
2.1. Skill Setup
The basic skill setup of the Invoker Thorns Crusader is displayed below. Read the dedicated Skills page for detailed information on choices, alternatives and build customization.
|Punish Celerity Steed Charge Endurance 1 Laws of Justice Decaying Strength 2 Iron Skin Reflective Skin 3 Consecration Bed of Nails 4 Akarat's Champion Prophet|
|Punish Celerity Steed Charge Endurance 1 Laws of Hope Wings of Angels 2 Iron Skin Reflective Skin 3 Condemn Vacuum 4 Akarat's Champion Prophet|
3.1. Gear Setup
The required gear setup for the Invoker Thorns Crusader is listed below. Check the Gear page for detailed information on choices, alternatives, gemming, Kanai's Cube and Paragon distribution. It also includes detailed explanations for Season 16 adjustments.
- Helm: Crown of the Invoker (or Andariel's Visage in Season 16)
- Shoulders: Burden of the Invoker
- Gloves: Pride of the Invoker
- Chest: Aquila Cuirass
- Belt: Belt of the Trove
- Pants: Renewal of the Invoker
- Boots: Zeal of the Invoker
- Bracers: Shackles of the Invoker
- Amulet: The Traveler's Pledge
- Ring 1: The Compass Rose
- Ring 2: Justice Lantern
- Weapon: Pig Sticker
- Offhand: Akarat's Awakening
3.2. Legendary Gems
- Legendary Gem 1: Bane of the Trapped
- Legendary Gem 2: Boyarsky's Chip
- Legendary Gem 3: Bane of the Stricken
3.3. Kanai's Cube
4. Role in the Current Meta
This build is ranked as a Top Tier solo pushing build for its class in the current Season.
This build is oriented mostly at solo Rifting (Greater and Normal). Due to its mediocre mobility on long distances, it is not recommended for Bounties. It is also not recommended for group Greater Rifts past the point where every party member can handle the content on his own.
- 24 Feb. 2019 (gear page): Item and skill recommendations revised further to reflect the meta.
- 24 Feb. 2019 (this page): Item and skill recommendations revised further to reflect the meta.
- 24 Feb. 2019 (skills page): Item and skill recommendations revised further to reflect the meta.
- 17 Jan. 2019 (gear page): Added suggestions for the baseline Ring of Royal Grandeur for Seasonal characters.
- 17 Jan. 2019 (this page): Guide was revised with additional recommendations for Season 16.
- 17 Jan. 2019 (skills page): Information was reviewed and approved for Season 16 with no changes required.
- 20 Sep. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 15.
- 14 Jun. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 14.
- 31 Oct. 2017 (this page): Guide updated to reflect the Patch 2.6.1 buffs.
- 31 Oct. 2017 (speed farming variant page): Adapted the speedfarming variant to the 2.6.1 changes.
- 31 Oct. 2017 (gear page): Changed weapons to reflect Thorn's changes in Patch 2.6.1.
- 31 Oct. 2017 (skills page): Replaced Provoke with Consecration.
- 02 Jul. 2017 (this page): Updated for 2.6 and moved to new guide format.
- HotA Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)
- Archon Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Rend Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)
- Some ideas to make a Rapid Fire build viable
- New'ish Build: Blood God Build
- Seismic Slam Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)
- LoN Singularity Necromancer (Patch 2.6.4)
- Leapquake Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)