Demon Hunter Shadow's Mantle Fresh 70 Starter Build (Patch 2.7.1 / Season 24)
This build is a starter build for fresh Level 70 Demon Hunters who have access to the Shadow's Mantle set.
This guide is part of our Demon Hunter Seasonal Progress Guide, which also includes a leveling build and other early builds for fresh 70 characters.
Fresh 70 Build
|Bolas Thunder Ball Impale Ricochet 1 Fan of Knives Pinpoint Accuracy 2 Vault Tumble 3 Companion Bat Companion 4 Shadow Power No rune chosen|
How to Play the Build: Skills and Rotation
The Shadow playstyle is quite different from other Demon Hunter builds, almost exclusively pursuing Elite enemies to take advantage of its massive single target potential, and skipping many disadvantageous trash fights. Big single targets is where the Shadow set shines, especially once the 6-piece bonus is acquired — the massive bonus to Impale damage will decimate any imposing, but singular threat. Companion Bat Companion will passively mitigate your resource spending, but Hatred will inevitably go low from Impale spam — when that happens, pop the active component of Bat Companion for an emergency refill. You will also have a generator at your disposal, so use Bolas liberally. When you pull bigger fights you will still have to single out enemies with Impale, but will also augment your AoE clear with Fan of Knives. To reposition to safety or get a better angle on an engage, you will use Vault. Finally, you will have permanent Shadow Power with all its runes from the 4-piece bonus — just do not forget to activate it at least once per game.
The spec focuses on The Shadow's Mantle set's unique single target capabilities, as well as its focus on melee weapons. The recommended split is:
- Slot 1 — Damage: The role of a primary damage dealer in a beginner Shadow set build is best left to Impale, due to the massive bonus inherent from the 6-piece. The rune Ricochet is preferred simply for its consistency (bouncing daggers vs narrow lined shots). This rune also offers elemental synergy with Fan of Knives, your supplementary damage dealer, taken with the lightning rune Pinpoint Accuracy in an early game spec. As an added bonus on top, the additional hits of Ricochet proc the unique property of Karlei's Point dagger, which is a priority item to obtain (discussed below).
- Slot 2 — Generator: While you can technically run several Hatred generators in this slot, Bolas offer you convenient elemental damage synergy with Ricochet and can be used with a melee weapon, which the Shadow set focuses on.
- Slot 3 — Supplementary damage: Early on, the spec will struggle to break out of its single target niche. Your closest shortcut to reliable AoE damage prior to obtaining Holy Point Shot is found in Fan of Knives, taken with the strongest damage rune — Pinpoint Accuracy Once you acquire a Holy Point Shot (your most sought after, and highest gamble priority item), you can repurpose this skill with the defensive Bladed Armor.
- Slot 4 — Mobility: Unchanged from the leveling build, Vault Tumble gives you the best ground covered to Discipline spent ratio, making it the preferable skill for the purpose.
- Slots 5 & 6 — Utility: You will keep Companion like a swiss knife at your side, but you will adjust its utility according to your preferences; it is likely you will struggle with Hatred in an early Impale spec, so you can safely fall to the Bat Companion crutch until you acquire key legendaries to stabilize resources with. The Shadow set will also lend you an indefinite Shadow Power with all its runes for the mere cost of a skill slot. You should activate it immediately upon entering the game to passively enjoy its damage reduction bonuses, movement speed increase, and increased Life per Hit.
- Passives: For early game Shadow progression, it is advisable to keep part of the leveling setup ( Blood Vengeance and Tactical Advantage), but abandon Custom Engineering and Steady Aim for Cull the Weak and Ambush, as they better reflect the close range, burst orientation of Shadow set builds.
Gear and Builds Using This Set
The build above is specifically created not to require any additional sets or legendary items. In order to transition to a late game-oriented spec using the same set, we have a rough list of high priority items to obtain, as well as a link to the build they pertain to.
- Impale Build — Karlei's Point (dagger); Holy Point Shot (quiver); Aquila Cuirass (chest); Chain of Shadows (belt); Strongarm Bracers (bracers); The Compass Rose and Convention of Elements (rings); The Traveler's Pledge (amulet).
- 23 Jul. 2021: Reviewed for Season 24.
- 02 Apr. 2021: Reviewed for Season 23.
- 13 Mar. 2020: Reviewed for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- Blizzard Working on an Unannounced Open-World RPG Shooter
- Wyatt Cheng on Lessons Learned During Diablo 3 Development
- Diablo 4's New Game Director is Joe Shelly
- Diablo 4 Quarterly Update: October 2021
- Global Battle.net Maintenance: October 6th
- Activision Blizzard Reaches Agreement with the EEOC
- In Celebration Of Diablo 2: Resurrected, We're Discounting Our Premium Subscription
- Overwatch 2 Executive Departs from Activision Blizzard