LoD Poison Scythe Necromancer Trash Killer Variation
Greater Rift Group Speedfarm
The LoD Poison Scythe Necromancer can be adapted to be a group Greater Rift Trash Killing spec, especially when coupled with an appropriate team composition of support teammates. The build deviates in some ways from the base solo progression spec, most notably in the gear and legendary gem selection.
|Grim Scythe Cursed Scythe Skeletal Mage Contamination 1 Simulacrum Blood and Bone 2 Bone Spear Blighted Marrow 3 Siphon Blood Power Shift 4 Bone Armor Dislocation|
The entirety of your skill selection for group trash clearing will remain the same as your solo progression spec. For the sake of posterity, this is a short version of the reasoning behind each skill:
- Simulacrum Blood and Bone is the crux of your damage output, strengthened by the Haunted Visions amulet. The dual summons will mimic your Cursed Scythe spam.
- Grim Scythe Cursed Scythe is your primary damage dealing skill and a utility powerhouse with its curse-spreading powers. The rune is also poisonous, and will count towards the Nayr's Black Death stacks.
- Bone Armor remains a fixture in the build, considering the poisonous stack coming from Dislocation and the stun synergy it has with Krysbin's Sentence.
- Ideally, you will run three other poisonous skills in the build. We suggest Siphon Blood Power Shift (easy to use, no cost), Bone Spear Blighted Marrow (cheap, far range to draw monster aggro with), and Skeletal Mage Contamination (excellent synergy with Razeth's Volition). You can adjust some or all of them to your preference however, with other options like Death Nova Blight, Command Skeletons Kill Command, Bone Spikes Bone Pillars, etc.
- Your passive lineup should remain Swift Harvesting for the attack speed, Stand Alone for the extra armor, and the duo of Spreading Malediction and Eternal Torment for the curse synergy with Cursed Scythe.
Since your crowd control immunity should be taken care of by your Support Barbarian teammate, you should drop Ice Climbers from your gear and equip the Illusory Boots. In turn, this will free a slot in your Kanai's Cube lineup to store Depth Diggers in, and allows you to equip Swamp Land Waders for extra damage. The Swamp Land Waders are unique for the slot with their elemental damage increase, which compensates for their class-inappropriate legendary property; note that this piece needs to be gambled on a Witch Doctor alt, as they are a class-specific item for WDs.
Since you will not be responsible for CC immunity in groups, you should replace Krelm's Buff Bracers from the solo progression build for Ancient Parthan Defenders. Their potent damage reduction effect will be procced by the pre-nuke cast of Bone Armor Dislocation, as well as your supports — and makes you much more durable in the highly damaging environments of GR progression.
With the ample protection given to you by supports, you can easily add another damage multiplier in the build in the form of Squirt's Necklace, and offset its "increased damage taken" effect with the supports' protective buffs.
In Season 24, your ideal weapon during group Greater Rift progression will be Soul Harvest, which provides a unique and massive attack speed stacking mechanic, on top of unrivaled skill and pure stat bonuses will outperform any other alternatives. It needs to be rolled with the weapon power of Trag'Oul's Corroded Fang or Nayr's Black Death, and will ideally have the Final Service passive. Learn more about Ethereal weapons in our Ethereal mechanics guide, and read up on how to farm them in the Ethereal farming guide.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
You will maintain Legacy of Dreams (foundational gem for the build) and Simplicity's Strength (damage multiplication for your main source of DPS) from the solo progression build. Since you will no longer be responsible for taking the Rift Guardian down, you will replace Bane of the Stricken with Bane of the Trapped for another massive source of damage multiplication.
|Torso and Pants||
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
Adapting Kanai's Cube
You will keep Nayr's Black Death as your weapon Cube power; this is a major source of damage multiplication for the build, and your entire skill selection revolves around it.
You need to move Depth Diggers into the armor slot of the Cube, since their primary-amplifying powers are still invaluable, but the elemental damage boost of Swamp Land Waders is not part of its legendary power and thus cannot be extracted (ergo, needs to be worn).
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
Your recommended potion is Bottomless Potion of the Tower, whose Armor-increasing properties complement the naturally high All Resistances stat of Necromancers (due to Intelligence scaling Resistances) for optimal survivability.
- 22 Jul. 2021: Added S24 Ethereal recommendation.
- 01 Apr. 2021: Minor gear revision and added follower recommendation.
- 19 Nov. 2020: Added S22 Cube recommendation.
- 02 Jul. 2020: Guide added.
- Icy Veins Black Friday Giveaway Ends Today!
- Diablo Immortal Patch 1.3 & Hotfix Notes
- Icy Veins Black Friday Giveaway!
- Activision Blizzard Announces Formation of a Workplace Responsibility Committee
- Diablo 3 Season 24 End Date: December 5th
- The Reason Behind Jen Oneal's Departure, Bobby Kotick's Knowledge of Previous Sexual Misconduct Allegations: A Wall Street Journal Report
- Diablo 3 Season 25 PTR Is Live + Updated Patch Notes
- Season 25 Compendium for Diablo 3