LoD Rapid Fire Demon Hunter BiS Gear, Gems, and Paragon Points
Below, we detail the items and gems that you should use for your LoD Rapid Fire Demon Hunter in Diablo 3 and why. We also list your paragon points and Kanai's Cube items. Updated for patch 2.6.6 and Season 18.
Best in Slot Gear and Alternatives
Since the build is based on the Legacy of Dreams power, you have some flexibility in the items you choose to slot across your gear, provided they are ideally of Ancient quality, have the appropriate stats, and do not form any other set bonuses (meaning you can temporarily run individual set pieces, if necessary). As a rule of thumb, focus on synergistic stats like Crit Chance and Damage, Area Damage, and Rapid Fire skill %. You will also be striving to reach a 37% CDR breakpoint for permanent uptime of Vengeance, attainable from Paragon points, Flawless Royal Diamond in the helm and 3 other items with max CDR rolls, distributed as you see fit (i.e. on shoulders, gloves, and one ring).
The Legacy of Dreams power allows you to run any legendary item combination while not losing out on the damage amplification and reduction associated with the traditional 6-piece sets. You can obtain this power in two ways; the older way is equipping the two rings — The Wailing Host and Litany of the Undaunted — as your only active set bonus. The newer (and more powerful, since it also opens your ring slots for legendary jewelry) method is the Legacy of Dreams legendary gem.
In a setup with Legacy of Dreams, you will be wearing your two best rolled rings and cubing the third between Convention of Elements, Unity, and Elusive Ring. Both Unity and Elusive Ring provide damage reduction through different conditions. Unity will cut incoming damage in half when paired with another on the follower, along with an immortality relic for him (i.e. Enchanting Favor). Elusive Ring is another massive damage reduction source, as long as you remember to use Shadow Power at least once every 8 seconds. Convention of Elements simply provides a massive damage increase during the Fire cycle of its rotation.
The recommended amulet is The Flavor of Time, whose revised legendary power now doubles the duration of Pylons — an extremely potent power that, with careful timing, can turn the progressively harder fights in Greater Rifts greatly in your favor. The former recommendation for the slot, Hellfire Amulet of Dexterity, remains a viable option, especially if you obtain one with a synergistic fifth passive like the cheat death of Awareness, the DPS boost of Archery, the mobility powerhouse Tactical Advantage or one of the basic recommendations from the skill page: Ambush, Cull the Weak, Numbing Traps, or Grenadier.
Most of your armor slots can be roughly split into three categories: Fire elemental damage items, Rapid Fire-boosting damage items and Utility items.
- Cindercoat, Magefist and Swamp Land Waders are able to bring up to 20% Fire elemental damage each, greatly amplifying your main damage dealer. While Magefist is a straightforward elemental DPS item, Cindercoat also brings Resource Cost Reduction value to the build, which brings the initial activation cost of Rapid Fire down and allows you to maintain the cubed Aquila Cuirass bonus. Swamp Land Waders provide an elemental damage increase, which is unique for the slot — but you should note that they need to be gambled on a Witch Doctor alt, as they are a class-specific item for WDs.
- To maximize the damage of Rapid Fire, you will be using both Mantle of Channeling and Hellcat Waistguard. The inclusion of Mantle of Channeling is pretty self-explanatory, since your main damage dealer is a channeled skill, and you can use every boost of damage and toughness you can get. Hellcat Waistguard is more mechanically complex; it has an unlisted 50% chance to proc, irrespective of the skill used or unique affix rolled. The belt increases the number of times grenades "bounce" and deal damage, counting the initial impact as the first bounce (and thus increasing your burst from the get-go). Notably, the final burst is 800% of the base damage, which somewhat lessens the impact of worse (less bounces) belts, and can even make them preferable for speedfarming to reduce the time between a shot and the final burst. This is especially important considering that grenades are very likely to bounce outside of a fight, or even outright disappear upon collision with a wall or a similar object. Nevertheless, for endgame pushing you will be looking for ideal circumstances — open area rifts, where the perfect 5-bounce Hellcat Waistguard will shine.
- You will round out your items with some utility extras. Exclusive to the Act 2 bounty cache, Illusory Boots will bring vital mobility to the build, which is rather slow and immobile compared to DH standards; the removal of enemy collision that these boots provide will be indispensable when positioning for optimal damage. You have some flexibility in your wrist slot; the general recommendation are Nemesis Bracers, which will spawn you an extra elite at every Pylon pickup, but you have a viable alternative in the face of Strongarm Bracers. The latter will bring extra damage to the build whenever you trigger a knockback effect, which can be procced at a reasonable rate via a worn The Ess of Johan in place of the Hellfire. You can even go the Strongarm route, which is when you simply slot The Ess of Johan on your follower.
The ideal weapon for the build is the one-handed crossbow Dawn — with Vengeance being a universally desired buff, reducing its cooldown up to 65% and achieving permanent uptime through gear is an opportunity you cannot pass lightly. Its companion will be the dedicated Rapid Fire quiver Sin Seekers, which has been reworked to include a massive skill damage buff on top of its longtime legendary power, the removal of the skill's channeling cost.
Bane of the Trapped is a potent source of additional damage, as it is its own multiplier in your total damage calculation. The gem will be procced by Zei's Stone of Vengeance, Thrill of the Hunt, crowd control secondary stats on your gear (Slow %, Freeze %), or Wind Chill in speedfarming.
Introduced in Season 4, Bane of the Stricken occupies a firm spot in your jewelry sockets during highest end progression. Building up your damage multiplicatively in prolonged fights and with a level 25 bonus specifically targeting Rift Guardians, this gem is designed to assist AoE heavy builds in 1v1 combat.
Your final slot is best occupied by the Legacy of Dreams legendary gem, which provides a scaling bonus for each legendary item equipped, as long as you have no set bonuses equipped. This bonus is multiplied for Ancient or Primal quality items, and when the gem is maxed out, it matches the Legacy of Nightmares ( The Wailing Host and Litany of the Undaunted rings) set bonus. This potent bonus allows you to play around with all your gear slots for synergistic legendary powers at the cost of a gem slot; in the older LoN setup, this socket would be occupied by Pain Enhancer.
|Torso and Pants|
Aquila Cuirass will halve incoming damage as long as Hatred does not dip below 90% of its reserve, which is relatively easy to maintain with the combination of Sin Seekers (for the channel cost of Rapid Fire) and Cindercoat (for the activation cost).
Your jewelry Cube slot is best filled by Elusive Ring, which greatly reduces incoming damage as long as you remember to use Shadow Power at least once every 8 seconds; in a facetanking build like the LoD Rapid Fire DH, this comes almost naturally from gameplay.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Revised item recommendations for Season 18.
- 16 May 2019: Guide added.
- List of Patch 2.6.7 Issues
- Balance Patch to Come Before Season 19 Start
- Official Season 19 Start Date: November 22nd + Season of Eternal Conflict Patch Notes
- Season 19 Almost Certainly Starting Next Friday, November 22nd
- Clarification on Season 19 Not Coming This Week
- A Letter from the Diablo 4 Game Director
- Patch 2.6.7 and Season 19 Patch Notes + S19 Not Starting on Friday
- Spell Combos, Ultimates, No Word on Monetization and More: The Big Diablo Immortal Interview
- Build Suggestion - Holy Shotgun with Valor set
- Gargantuan Witch Doctor (Patch 2.6.4)
- GRID is Recruiting All player For All Seasons
- Fever Clan recruiting for Season
- Monk Uliana's Stratagem Set Dungeon
- LoN Solo Skeletons Necromancer (Patch 2.6.4)
- Diablo 3 Crusader
- Looking for a Clan? Come to TAW!!!