Uliana Seven-Sided Strike Monk Speed Farming Variation
The Uliana Seven-Sided Strike Monk deals with regular Rift farming decently all the way through the highest Torments, making it a viable build for the task. We have solo speed GR rankings and solo speed T16 rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Exploding Palm Impending Doom Cyclone Strike Implosion 1 Epiphany Insight 2 Dashing Strike Quicksilver 3 Seven-Sided Strike Sustained Attack 4 Mantra of Conviction Annihilation
When you are speed farming regular rifts, parts of your playstyle will adapt to the lowered challenge and focus more on speed and utility.
When farming, the Uliana Monk beelines directly to the densest fight possible, using a combination of Dashing Strike Quicksilver and Mantra of Conviction Annihilation for mobility. Due to the powers of Madstone, your Seven-Sided Strike will apply Exploding Palm on its own, so you can simply focus on chaining elite kills to keep In-geom procced for infinite Dashing Strike mobility. If monsters are spread too far apart, pull them in with Cyclone Strike Implosion and resume the Seven-Sided Strike devastation. Reapply the powerful Spirit regeneration from of Epiphany Insight on cooldown.
During regular Rift farm, the timing and density-sensitive, additive damage increase of Assimilation is excessive; it can be replaced by the movement speed boost from Mantra of Conviction Annihilation (even more useful when grouped up, due to its party-wide nature).
Finalize the speed farming build with a swap of Blinding Speed to either Quicksilver for the extra charge (in T16 rift farming, since elite kills are easier to chain) or Way of the Falling Star for the sizable increase of post- Dashing Strike movement speed (in bounties, where greater distance crossed is more important).
In your passive selection, keep Beacon of Ytar for the Cooldown Reduction, and add some upfront damage with Momentum and Seize the Initiative. If you trust your survivability, you can consider dropping Near Death Experience for some extra movespeed via Fleet Footed.
You will still be taking advantage of the full 6-piece set bonuses of Uliana by wearing 5 pieces plus a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the Cube. However instead of the Cpt. Crimson set, you will be including a Madstone as your helm and Goldwrap as your belt. Madstone applies Exploding Palms so you do not have to do it manually, adding a lot of convenience to a speed farming spec. Goldwrap offers near-invulnerability through its interaction with a socketed Boon of the Hoarder and an Avarice Band (on your Follower or yourself).
A progression-oriented combo like Convention of Elements and the Endless Walk set will be too slow, defensive and timing-dependent for farming purposes. Convention of Elements is best replaced by a Cold damage Stone of Jordan which offers a smaller, but constant elemental damage bonus (instead of CoE's cyclical). It also adds a constant Elite damage increase on top. Note that SoJ is recommended for solo farming, since your Follower can wear Avarice Band and "Emanate" its valuable pickup radius effect to you as if you wore it yourself. When group farming, equip the Avarice yourself in SoJ's place. Your other ring should be Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac for the Cooldown Reduction, and your amulet should be either Squirt's Necklace (solo), or The Flavor of Time (groups).
Finally, you should swap one of the dedicated Seven-Sided Strike legendary weapons for In-geom during regular Rifts, as the cooldown reduction procs of the latter will ensure your near-limitless mobility and damage potential as long as you maintain elite killing streaks. Our general recommendation is to swap Lion's Claw and keep a The Fist of Az'Turrasq plus In-geom combo.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Altar of Rites
The former Season 28 theme, the Altar of Rites, has been revised and re-added to Diablo 3 as a permanent character progression mechanic. — For virtually all builds and players of all skill levels — from casual to advanced — we recommend progressing through the Altar tree using the path outlined below. The suggested path is geared towards maximum quality of life first, then amplifying damage, and then mopping up the tree with defensive and edge case utility nodes.
Note that while they require reaching them with a Seal, Legendary Potion Powers are not part of the Seal cost system; Potions unlock with a separate resource called Primordial Ashes, obtained from salvaging Legendary or Set items of Primal (red bordered) quality. Upgrade them as soon as possible, and in the order shown below (courtesy of Caleko's Altar of Rites planner).
You can read more on the Altar of Rites, Seals and Legendary Potion Powers in our dedicated Altar of Rites Mechanics guide.
Bane of the Trapped astill brings excellent damage multiplication value to the build in speed farming.
Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard is suggested in the third slot simply for the upkeep of Squirt's Necklace bonuses; if you dislike playing with that amulet, you can viably alternate to Bane of the Powerful here.
Season 30 Soul Shards
In Season 30, your helm and weapon sockets will be taken over by the supremely powerful Soul Shards. For this variant, we recommend the following:
- Helm — Fragment of Destruction with "When you apply a Mark of Destruction, you increase your movement speed by 5%" as its Rank 3 power. For optimization benefits, aim for Strength or Melee/Ranged Damage Reduction on its Rank 2 roll.
- Weapon — Stain of Sin with "You gain an additional Rift Progress Orb when you kill an elite pack" as its Rank 3 power. For optimization benefits, aim for Skills % Increase (according to the element of your chosen Frenzy rune) or Weapon Damage Increase on its Rank 2 roll.
|Torso and Pants
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
Adapting Kanai's Cube
The Flow of Eternity is still a necessary part of a Seven-Sided Strike setup, taking up the weapon slot in the Cube.
To make up the loss of the cooldown reduction from the Cpt. Crimson set from progression, you should be using Leoric's Crown in the armor slot of the Cube. This legendary power will double the effectiveness of the gem socketed in your helm ( Flawless Royal Diamond with its CDR, in this case).
Lastly, in order to maintain the valuable 6-piece bonus of Uliana while using utility legendaries, you will need to cube a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the jewelry slot.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
The recommended follower for this build during standard rift farming for keys is the Enchantress due to her numerous utility bonuses, allowing you to smooth out your speed runs even further.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
- 08 Jan. 2024: Revised guide for the permanent addition of the Altar of Rites, and added Season-specific Soul Shard recommendations.
- 13 Sep. 2023: Added Season 29 Paragon Cap and Gearing recommendations.
- 22 Feb. 2023: Added Season 28 Altar of Rites recommendations.
- 26 Aug. 2022: Added Season 27 Angelic Crucible recommendations.
- 14 Apr. 2022: Guide reviewed for Season 26.
- 08 Dec. 2021: Minor gear revision; added Season 25 Soul Shard recommendations.
- 21 Jul. 2021: Added Ethereal weapon recommendation for Season 24.
- 01 Apr. 2021: Minor gearing revisions and added a follower recommendation.
- 16 Nov. 2020: Added S22 Cube recommendation.
- 01 Jul. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 21 Nov. 2019: Major revision to the guide to include the Sage's set and utility jewelry.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Flavor of Time is now the recommended amulet.
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.3.1 Hotfixes: February 7th
- How To Get All Lunar Awakening Cosmetics and Mount Very Fast in Diablo 4’s New Event
- Protection Shrines May Not Work Correctly After Lunar Awakening Patch
- Workaround for Diablo 4 Crashing While Loading
- The Gauntlet & Leaderboards Launch Delayed
- World Tier 4 Vault and Trading Re-Enabled
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- World Tier 4 Vault of the Loom Temporarily Disabled