Wizard Tal Rasha's Elements Fresh 70 Starter Build (Patch 2.6.8 / Season 20)
This build is a starter build for fresh Level 70 Wizards who have access to the Tal Rasha's Elements set.
This guide is part of our Wizard Seasonal Progress Guide, which also includes a leveling build and other early builds for fresh 70 characters.
Fresh 70 Build
|Spectral Blade Thrown Blade Teleport Calamity 1 Explosive Blast Chain Reaction 2 Frost Nova Frozen Mist 3 Magic Weapon Force Weapon 4 Storm Armor Scramble|
How to Play the Build: Skills and Rotation
To match the Tal Rasha rotation, you will dedicate four abilities to the four elemental damage sources available to Wizards. The remaining two abilities will be dedicated to utility.
Activate your two background buffs: Storm Armor and Magic Weapon. As any Tal Rasha based build, this build needs to rotate between spells of different elements, which in turn deliver a Meteor of the corresponding damage type. To proc the fire element, you will be spamming Explosive Blast Chain Reaction; for cold, use Frost Nova Frozen Mist on cooldown; and lightning is taken care of by Spectral Blade Thrown Blade. The fourth and final arcane proc will come from Teleport, as the Calamity rune has the appropriate damage component.
- While Wizard fire spells are plenty and varied, Explosive Blast Chain Reaction has emerged as a staple in Tal Rasha rotations for several reasons. First and foremost, it is an easy proc for the Fire quarter of the Tal Rasha bonuses, and it also enables and easily maximizes the benefits of Orb of Infinite Depth, which increases your damage (20% multiplicative) and defenses (60% reduction) as you hit enemies with Explosive Blast. Finally, it can be cast on the move with no animation to conflict with other abilities, which is not to be underestimated for farming builds.
- While it will lose its standard crowd control, Frost Nova will be a staple in the build with its pure damage rune, Frozen Mist, proccing the Cold quarter of the Tal bonus. The recommendation for Frost Nova Frozen Mist over any other Cold spell comes for the same reason Explosive Blast is preferred for Fire — it releases an immediate, no-animation effect centered on the hero, allowing you to focus on movement rather than aim.
- Packing tremendous utility, Teleport will remain in the build as a mobility tool, but it will double up as a proc for the Arcane part of Tal Rasha with Calamity, as the minor damage of this rune will trigger the set bonus. The 1 second stun is yet another helpful bonus on top, making Teleport Calamity a great opener in fights.
- You have considerable freedom when choosing the Lightning ability, but keep some of the following considerations in mind. First, in farming builds you will likely seek a proc for Focus and Restraint, a ring set that skyrockets your damage as long as you alternate between primary and spender attacks. Following this guide, you will have a spender in the face of Explosive Blast, and it is advisable to match it with one of the many excellent Lightning primaries. If you stumble upon an early Wand of Woh, consider taking Electrocute Surge of Power to counteract some of the AP spending of Explosive Blast spam. If you come across the more common Fragment of Destiny, it is strongly recommended to switch to Spectral Blade Thrown Blade and lean towards a Spectral Blade Tal Rasha build.
- Your fifth and sixth slots should be dedicated to skills that augment your four elements rotation. Magic Weapon is a staple in that regard, a 10-minute self-buff that increases your damage by 10% by default, and can either be increased to 20% through Force Weapon, or be complemented with a shielding effect from the Deflection rune. Finally, you can pick a shield to match your needs — the suggested Storm Armor Scramble will reliably increase your movement speed as you invariably take hits in this melee spellcasting spec, and can compensate for some of the slower early gameplay. Note that Storm Armor will proc the Lightning Meteor of Tal Rasha, but will not count as a Lightning attack for the purposes of Tal Rasha's 4- and 6-piece bonuses (this necessitates a separate Lightning ability, described above). If you are not confident in your survivability, feel free to take Energy Armor Prismatic Armor to up your defenses instead.
- Unlike the long range leveling spec, this Tal Rasha variant fights up close and swaps Power Hungry for its melee mirror, Audacity. Elemental Exposure is a natural match for the Tal Rasha playstyle, boosting your damage as you alternate between the elements.
- Illusionist is a utility-oriented passive that improves your speed after Teleporting, and offers frequent resets of your mobility skill in fights. Unstable Anomaly is the cheat death passive of Wizards, a necessary pick as you push against the limits of your early gear and expose yourself to danger.
The build above is specifically created not to require any additional sets or legendary items. In order to transition to a late game-oriented spec using the same set, we have a rough list of high priority items to obtain, as well as a link to the build they pertain to.
- Nilfur's Boast — this legendary pair of boots strengthens the Meteor barrage that is inherent to Tal Rasha, and empowers their capabilities in small-scale combat, where this AoE-heavy set traditionally struggles.
- Etched Sigil — is a build-defining legendary source that augments and casts equipped spenders for free, allowing you to transition into spender-heavy builds like Meteor-based ones.
- The Grand Vizier — this legendary staff augments the damage of Meteor and cuts its resource cost in half, allowing you to quickly transition into a solid, Meteor-based farming build.
End-Game Tal Rasha's Elements Builds
The mini-guide above is simply meant to acquaint you with the set and how a build with just the Haedrig's Gift (or a newly found set), and no supporting legendaries would play out. We have the following endgame-oriented builds that use the set, and encourage you to explore these much stronger playstyles!
- Explosive Blast Farming Wizard Build
- Lightning Arcane Torrent Wizard Build
- Lightning Archon Wizard Build
- 13 Mar. 2020: Reviewed for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- Possible Diablo 3 Season 22 Delay and Diablo 4 Q3 Update
- Diablo Lilith Statue Arrives to Buyers Ahead of October 16
- Remastered Diablo Intro Cinematic
- 10,000+ Stacks of the Seasonal Buff, With No End in Sight! Wudijo Goes Crazy Stackin'
- Double Bounties Buff Only Available to Seasonal Characters
- S21 Rank 1 4-man GR 150 Runs for US, EU and Asia: Sub-4 Minute Achieved!
- The Pacifist Run: Player Finishes Diablo 3 Story Without Doing Anything (No Attacking, Abilities or Followers)
- Diablo PC Review from 1997
- Masquerade Bone Spear Necromancer
- Mundunugu Spirit Barrage Witch Doctor
- What is the best class for doing lots of GR (greater rifts)
- PoJ Tempest Rush Monk
- Holy Shotgun Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- Monk Inna's Mantra Set Dungeon
- Archon Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Impale Demon Hunter (Patch 2.6.4)