Tyrande Abilities and Strategy
Welcome to our Abilities page for Tyrande. Here, we give you an overview of every ability in Tyrande's kit. For each of them, we explain what it does, how to best use it, and how it works in combination with Tyrande's other abilities. We also give you strategy tips to play Tyrande efficiently.
Tyrande's Tips and Tricks
- Use Sentinel as frequently as possible. The vision it provides helps your team in making better decisions.
- Always mind your positioning when playing Tyrande. If caught by surprise, she is an easy Hero to get taken down.
- Shadowstalk is an incredibly versatile Heroic Ability. Use it to ambush the enemy team or to cover your retreat.
- Landing Lunar Flare on moving targets requires practice and experience. Try to anticipate their movement paths and aim accordingly.
- Hunter's Mark can be used on non-Heroic targets, such as Bosses, Immortals, or Punishers, in order to kill them faster.
- To make the most out of your healing, you should be always using basic attacks. In many situations it will be dangerous to do so, and you should be waiting for enemy tank to use his Abilities to start delivering Basic Attacks.
- Starfall will greatly reduce Light of Elune's Cooldown. Be ready to use it quickly to not waste any healing.
- All of Light of Elune's charges are refilled together, so you can have 1 charge left and start attacking. Use it right before the Cooldown comes back again, giving you 3 uses of the Ability. This is mostly useful against burst damage to surprise your enemies.
- Since Sentinel resets on a kill, it is excellent to use it on dying or fleeing targets, being even better if you picked Ranger at Level 1, as you can hit an enemy several times in a fight with its pierce.
Light of Elune
- Mana: 15
- Charges: 2
- Recharge Time: 16 seconds
Heal an ally Hero for 270 (+4% per level). Light of Elune's cooldown is reduced by 1.5 seconds every time Tyrande hits an enemy with a Basic Attack or damages an enemy Hero.
Stores up to 2 charges. Cooldown replenishes all charges at the same time.
Being Tyrande's only burst heal ability, Light of Elune is crucial in order to keep allies and herself alive. Tyrande should use Light of Elune regularly, as the ability comes with 2 charges. In order to heal with maximum efficiency, it is of utmost importance to consistently use Basic Attacks with Tyrande, as every attack lowers the cooldown of Light of Elune.
- Mana: 50
- Cooldown: 15 seconds
Send an Owl across the battleground revealing its path, dealing 120 (+4% per level) damage to the first Hero hit, and revealing them for 5 seconds. If a Hero revealed by Sentinel dies, refresh its cooldown.
Sentinel can be used in order to scout if you do not see the opposing team on your Minimap or before blindly facechecking bushes. However, keep in mind that in certain situations it may not be the best choice to use Sentinel. If your team is trying to capture Mercenary Camps or Golem Bosses for example, an ill timed Owl could tell enemies about your position and consequently enable them to catch you off guard.
Sentinel also resets its Cooldown when an enemy dies while revealed by it.
- Mana: 60
- Cooldown: 13 seconds
After 0.75 seconds, deal 150 (+4% per level) damage and Stun enemies in the target area for 0.75 seconds.
While Lunar Flare allows Tyrande to disrupt enemies from a safe distance, the fact that it is a skillshot makes it a skill that requires a lot of experience in order to be used efficiently. One of the most important things to keep in mind when using Lunar Flare is to predict your target's movement path. Anticipating the position of your target correctly is crucial when playing Tyrande, so do not shy away from practising against the AI before diving into Hero League or Team League matches.
- Mana: 75
- Cooldown: 80 seconds
Deal 92 (+4% per level) damage per second and Slow enemies by 20% in an area. Lasts 6 seconds.
Starfall slows and damages every enemy in its area of effect which makes it a very powerful Heroic Ability during team fights and pushes. As soon as a team fight breaks out, Starfall should be first abilitiy to be cast. Doing so maximizes the damage output during the fight and provides Tyrande with cooldown reduction on her Light of Elune. One of Starfall's greatest advantages is its versatility, because it can be used both offensively and defensively. If used offensively, Starfall is able to slow retreating enemies which allows your teammates to collapse on them. If used defensively, Starfall can be used to disengage and run away from charging enemies.
- Mana: 75
- Cooldown: 90 seconds
Grant all allied Heroes Stealth for 10 seconds and heal them for 380 (+4% per level) Health over 10 seconds. Remaining stationary for at least 1.5 seconds while Stealthed grants Invisible.
Shadowstalk is a useful supportive Heroic Ability, which provides significant healing to your allies. Furthermore, it allows Tyrande to initiate hidden manoeuvres on the map to catch the enemy team off guard.
On bigger maps like Cursed Hollow or Sky Temple on which it is harder for the enemy team to predict your position, Shadowstalk can gain a lot of value. On smaller maps like Towers of Doom or Tomb of the Spider Queen, however, the strong AoE-damage from Starfall can sometimes be the better choice.
- Cooldown: 20 seconds
Reveal a non-Structure enemy and reduce their Armor by 15 for 4 seconds.
Passive: Tyrande's Basic Attacks heal her for 1% of her maximum Health, doubled against targets with Hunter's Mark.
Tyrande's Hunter's Mark is one of the strongest Traits in the game when it comes to taking down a single target very quickly. It synergises extremely well with both Tyrande's own and her allies' sources of burst damage. Hunter's Mark can even cause enemy Tanks and Bruisers to become relatively squishy targets, which forces them to think carefully about engaging a team fight or not.
Keep in mind that Hunter's Mark can be used to greatly increase Lunar Flare's and Sentinel's damage as well. Since it has the same casting range as Lunar Flare, we recommend marking your chosen target first before hitting it with your other abilities in order to maximise your overall damage.
- 24 Jul. 2021: Updated Tyrande's abilities section after recent balance patch.
- 29 Aug. 2019: Applied minor updates on Tyrande's abilities.
- 03 Sep. 2018: Updated Tyrande's abilities section in accordance with her latest rework.
- Blizzard Working on an Unannounced Open-World RPG Shooter
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of October 12th
- Global Battle.net Maintenance: October 6th
- Activision Blizzard Reaches Agreement with the EEOC
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of September 28th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Patch Notes: September 27th
- In Celebration Of Diablo 2: Resurrected, We're Discounting Our Premium Subscription
- Overwatch 2 Executive Departs from Activision Blizzard
- Heroes of the Storm Hanamura Temple
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm Spell Power and Damage Modifier
- Heroes of the Storm Debug Mode
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Lt. Morales
- Heroes of the Storm Uther