DMO Frozen Orb Wizard Skills and Runes
On this page, we explain how to choose and use your skills when playing DMO Frozen Orb Wizard in Diablo 3. Updated for Patch 2.7.6 and Season 29.
|Spectral Blade Barrier Blades Arcane Orb Frozen Orb 1 Teleport Wormhole 2 Energy Twister Wicked Wind 3 Slow Time Time Warp 4 Storm Armor Shocking Aspect|
As a Delsere's Magnum Opus set build, you have to constantly keep in mind your dependence on dropping Slow Times that regularly envelop your priority targets. Some leeway was given with later reworks to DMO (you do not need to be in the Slow Time radius to gain damage reduction, and affected enemies are more susceptible to damage for 5 whole seconds after exiting the bubble), but with the built-in resets coming from your generator attack you should make a point to regularly apply Slow Times as well. Use Energy Twister to control the flow and positioning of a fight (via the worn or cubed Ranslor's Folly) and keep the Storm Armor shield active at all times. Last but not least, reposition smartly with Teleport.
Skills and Runes
The main damage dealer and namesake of the build is Arcane Orb Frozen Orb — a long range projectile attack that hurls a pulsating orb of frost, exploding at the end of its 40 yard travel distance. Do your best to internalize the length of the Frozen Orb shot to maximize the benefits of said detonation, as it is stronger than the piercing projectile while it is moving. Make a point to always cast Arcane Orb after you fully stack Triumvirate, especially if the Cold cycle of Convention of Elements is coming up.
To counteract the considerable Arcane Power spending of Frozen Orb — 30 AP per shot — you will be including a primary attack in the build, adding a resource generation angle to it through Arcane Power on Crit on gear (see this build's gear page for more information). You have a good number of viable primary attacks for the slot, including the protective Spectral Blade Barrier Blades (our general recommendation), the crowd control synergy of Magic Missile Glacial Spike, or the superior proc coefficient of Shock Pulse Piercing Orb.
Slow Time is integral to DMO setups, amplifying the damage of multiple skills against affected enemies, as well as cutting incoming damage by 60%. You should bolster its damage amplification angle by selecting the increased damage taken buff of the Time Warp rune.
You will be including another of the signature DMO skills, Energy Twister, but strictly for its crowd control capabilities with a worn or cubed Ranslor's Folly. To that end, you will be taking the static Wicked Wind rune so you are able to pick and choose the location to "pixel pull" monsters to. The so-called "pixel pulling" is the most desirable form of monster displacement in the game, since it clumps up monsters really tightly to the tremendous benefit of Area Damage on gear. An alternative for this slot is Black Hole Absolute Zero; you will lose the pixel pull but gain control over elites, and you gain a Cube slot for the improved utility of Crown of the Primus.
As consistent means of protection, you will be adding Storm Armor to the build. With a fire-and-forget duration of 10 minutes and a negligible damage proc, it can be easily overlooked if not for the massive damage reduction properties of Halo of Karini (see this build's gear page for more information). You will be taking the rune Shocking Aspect for the superior uptime of the procs for the Karini buff, but you can also consider alterations such as Power of the Storm for the Resource Cost Reduction, or Scramble for the additional movement speed.
Last but not least, Teleport will round out your skill selection with valuable maneuverability across the battlefield; either to engage, reposition, or simply move away from an unfavorable fight. The preferred rune brings the multiple charges of Wormhole.
Two defensive staples provide the foundation of your passive selection. Blur is simply a powerful source of percentage-based damage mitigation. Galvanizing Ward brings a duration-less absorption barrier that soaks 60% of your maximum (not current!) life in damage and refreshes every 5 seconds after not taking damage. This passive is strengthened by Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer and is a major protective layer for the upkeep of the Squirt's Necklace damage bonus.
Elemental Exposure is taken to bolster your damage through your myriad of elemental damage sources. Notice that the passive bumps damage in 5% increments per element used; you fulfill the cold with Frozen Orb, lightning with Storm Armor, arcane with Barrier Blades. The final bump will come from the damage type of your weapon, Unstable Scepter — a lucky roll (or reroll) of the base damage from another type (i.e. physical or arcane) into fire will bring the last piece of the damage buff.
Finally, take Power Hungry — it is the mirror of Audacity, reworked into a multiplicative damage increase against enemies further than 30 yards. This passive synergizes excellently with the long range orientation of the build, coming from both Frozen Orb and Zei's Stone of Vengeance.
- 13 Sep. 2023: Skills and passives reviewed for Season 29.
- 22 Feb. 2023: Skills and passives reviewed for Season 28.
- 26 Aug. 2022: Skills and passives reviewed for Season 27.
- 14 Apr. 2022: Guide reviewed for Season 26.
- 06 Dec. 2021: Reviewed for Season 25.
- 22 Jul. 2021: No changes required for Season 24.
- 02 Apr. 2021: Revised skill and passive lineup.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Revised skill and passive recommendations for Season 22.
- 01 Jul. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Reviewed for Season 19.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Reviewed and approved for Season 18.
- 17 May 2019: Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 18 Jan. 2019: Information was reviewed and approved for Season 16 with no changes required.
- 12 Nov. 2017: Revised the skill selection to improve the endgame pushing potential of the build.
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Upcoming Dev Campfire Chat: November 30th
- Player Gathers All Uber Uniques and Asks “Did I Beat the Game?”
- Diablo 4 Steam Discount and Free Trial
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.2.2 Hotfixes: November 20th
- Diablo 4 Mother’s Blessing XP and Gold Buff Bugged, to Be Increased and Live This Week
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.2.2 Hotfixes: November 17th
- Mother’s Blessing Returns to Sanctuary (November 20-27)