DMO Frozen Orb Wizard BiS Gear, Gems, and Paragon Points
Below, we detail the items and gems that you should use for your DMO Frozen Orb Wizard in Diablo 3 and why. We also list your paragon points and Kanai's Cube items. Updated for Patch 2.7.7 and Season 30.
Best in Slot Gear and Alternatives
The build incorporates the complete Delsere's Magnum Opus set, taking all six available pieces and opening up the jewelry for the Endless Walk set and its damage multiplication bonuses. Area Damage is important for the Frozen Orb Wizard and is a recommended roll on Fierce Gauntlets (along with both Crit stats and Intelligence) and Dashing Pauldrons of Despair (along with Intelligence, Vitality and Life %). Harness of Truth and Leg Guards of Mystery should remain pure Toughness slots. Shrouded Mask and Striders of Destiny can roll Arcane Orb %, and it is recommended to seek the skill bonus on both. Note that stacking Armor benefits you because of the balancing of sources of mitigation, as All Resistance is already abundant on an Intelligence-based character. Notice also the absence of crowd control immunity in the spec (it is a non-Archon build), making Crowd Control Reduction secondary stats (ideally on helm, but can also roll on jewelry) very beneficial.
Not skipping on any of the six available set pieces to obtain the full Delsere's Magnum Opus set bonus allows you to split between offense and defense in the jewelry slots. Squirt's Necklace brings up to a 100% extra damage as a separate multiplier as long as you do not get hit, but offsets these benefits with an increase in damage taken — a drawback you will strive to mitigate with a stack of shields and Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer. Unity is a damage reduction staple that cuts incoming damage in half, as long as you pair it with another on the follower, plus an immortality relic for them (i.e. Enchanting Favor). Your other ring slot will be taken by the pure damage boost of Convention of Elements, whose rotation of elemental bonuses you will need to learn and time to maximize the benefits of the short-lived Cold cycle.
Introduced in Patch 2.4, The Shame of Delsere belt is an Arcane Power regeneration powerhouse that speeds up your signature spells by 50% and restores up to 12 AP per hit. This bonus will be vital in Greater Rift pushes in order to counteract the gluttonous spending of Arcane Orb.
Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer will be taken to double up the efficiency of your shields — both passive (in the form of Galvanizing Ward) and active (in the form of Spectral Blade Barrier Blades). Note that this slot is interchangeable with the crowd control-oriented Ranslor's Folly, which we have stored in the Cube for the sake of example. If you opt for Black Hole as your means of crowd control over enemies, Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer stays mandatory here.
The mandatory weapon of the progression build is the Unstable Scepter, a legendary wand that not only increases Arcane Orb damage, but also has a unique property that detonates Arcane Orbs twice — effectively doubling the spec's damage output. Note that in order to maximize the damage bonuses of Elemental Exposure, an ideal roll (or re-roll) of this weapon would have Fire damage as its base damage type.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Altar of Rites
The former Season 28 theme, the Altar of Rites, has been revised and re-added to Diablo 3 as a permanent character progression mechanic. — For virtually all builds and players of all skill levels — from casual to advanced — we recommend progressing through the Altar tree using the path outlined below. The suggested path is geared towards maximum quality of life first, then amplifying damage, and then mopping up the tree with defensive and edge case utility nodes.
Note that while they require reaching them with a Seal, Legendary Potion Powers are not part of the Seal cost system; Potions unlock with a separate resource called Primordial Ashes, obtained from salvaging Legendary or Set items of Primal (red bordered) quality. Upgrade them as soon as possible, and in the order shown below (courtesy of Caleko's Altar of Rites planner).
You can read more on the Altar of Rites, Seals and Legendary Potion Powers in our dedicated Altar of Rites Mechanics guide.
Bane of the Trapped is a potent source of additional damage, as it is its own multiplier in your total damage calculation. The gem procs itself with its level 25 property when in melee range, but can easily be triggered from afar with your numerous, large radius Slow Times.
Zei's Stone of Vengeance is another independent multiplier, whose range-dependent amplification can be easily maxed out by the long reach of Frozen Orb. The level 25 property will add some minor control and safety to the build, as well as another proc for Bane of the Trapped.
Introduced in Season 4, Bane of the Stricken occupies the third and final jewelry socket. Building up your damage multiplicatively in prolonged fights and with a level 25 bonus specifically targeting Rift Guardians, this gem is designed to assist AoE heavy builds in their struggle against single target, high HP enemies. In lower Greater Rifts, when you are not yet pushing against the very limits of your gear, you can alternate this slot to Bane of the Powerful for the dependable overall damage and toughness increase.
Season 30 Soul Shards
In Season 30, your helm and weapon sockets will be taken over by the supremely powerful Soul Shards. For this variant, we recommend the following:
- Helm — Sliver of Terror with "You cast a devastating Ring of Fire after killing 100 enemies" as its Rank 3 power. For optimization benefits, aim for Intelligence or Melee/Ranged Damage Reduction on its Rank 2 roll.
- Weapon — Essence of Anguish with "When you deal Poison damage to an enemy, they receive 50% increased Poison damage from all sources for 10 seconds" as its Rank 3 power. For optimization benefits, aim for Cold Skills % Increase or Weapon Damage Increase on its Rank 2 roll. Note that Essence of Anguish requires dealing Poison damage to trigger its Base Power; in this build, you accomplish this either by re-rolling the weapon damage range (the two numbers displayed just under the big total DPS number; the first Primary stat roll of any weapon) of your own weapon to Poison, or doing the same to your follower's weapon.
|Torso and Pants
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
The revised powers of Wizardspike make it a mandatory inclusion in a Frozen Orb build, albeit tucked away in the Cube. This unassuming dagger now provides both a proc-based chance to hurl an additional Frozen Orb, as well as a massive damage multiplier for the skill itself.
As previously noted, Ranslor's Folly and Ashnagarr's Blood Bracer are interchangeable in the armor Cube slot. Simply choose your better rolled one to wear, and cube the other. If you opt for a spec that uses Black Hole for monster pulling instead of Energy Twister, you can slot Crown of the Primus here and gain a tremendous stack of utility from all the runes of Slow Time.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
The recommended follower for this build during solo GR progression is the Scoundrel due to his powerful crit buff, allowing you brief windows of extra damage that are well suited to the strengths of this build. Alternatively, if you feel yourself too squishy, you can alter to the Templar for his powerful heals and sustain boons.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
Your recommended potion is Bottomless Potion of the Tower, whose Armor-increasing properties complement the naturally high All Resistances stat of Wizards (due to Intelligence scaling Resistances) for optimal survivability.
- 10 Jan. 2024: Revised guide for the permanent addition of the Altar of Rites, and added Season-specific Soul Shard recommendations.
- 13 Sep. 2023: Added Season 29 Paragon Cap and Gearing recommendations.
- 22 Feb. 2023: Added Season 28 Altar of Rites recommendations.
- 26 Aug. 2022: Added Season 27 Angelic Crucible recommendations.
- 14 Apr. 2022: Guide reviewed for Season 26.
- 06 Dec. 2021: Added Season 25 Soul Shard recommendations.
- 22 Jul. 2021: Added S24 Ethereal recommendation.
- 02 Apr. 2021: Revised items and added follower recommendation.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Revised item and Cube recommendations for Season 22.
- 01 Jul. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Reviewed for Season 19.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Reviewed and approved for Season 18.
- 17 May 2019: Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 18 Jan. 2019: Added suggestions for the baseline Ring of Royal Grandeur for Seasonal characters.
- 12 Nov. 2017: Revised the item selection to improve the endgame pushing potential of the build.
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.3.1 Hotfixes: February 7th
- How To Get All Lunar Awakening Cosmetics and Mount Very Fast in Diablo 4’s New Event
- Protection Shrines May Not Work Correctly After Lunar Awakening Patch
- Workaround for Diablo 4 Crashing While Loading
- The Gauntlet & Leaderboards Launch Delayed
- World Tier 4 Vault and Trading Re-Enabled
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- World Tier 4 Vault of the Loom Temporarily Disabled