Shadow Impale Demon Hunter Group Progression Variation
Even though it is not the top performing single target damage spec for groups, the Shadow Impale Demon Hunter is still very viable and highly ranking build in group clears.
|Impale Chemical Burn Companion Wolf Companion 1 Vengeance Dark Heart 2 Marked for Death Contagion 3 Vault Tumble 4 Shadow Power Gloom|
The Shadow Impale DH does not alter his strategy significantly during group play, of course with the exception that he focuses on the Rift Guardian kill and drops any area damage considerations, as well as parts of his survivability (which is taken care of by support teammates instead). You will still rely on Impale as your main damage dealer, spamming it while buffed up with a trio of Vengeance, Shadow Power and Wolf Companion. You will support your AoE teammate with Marked for Death Contagion, and keep up with your team via Vaults.
A large part of your active skill selection remains the same as the Grenade-based build: Impale Ricochet as your damaging skill of choice; Vengeance remains an all-too-valuable self-buff, whose permanence you will still be striving for through 37%+ CDR on gear; Shadow Power is an integral part of Shadow set builds; Vault is an irreplaceable movement tool.
Since your toughness and crowd control will be taken care of by support teammates, switch Fan of Knives Bladed Armor out for the additive damage boost of Marked for Death Contagion to better assist your AoE DPS teammate. Companion Wolf Companion is retained from the solo progression build, as its damage buff affects the entire party and brings excellent value throughout the clear. Note that you can alternate to the toughness buff of Boar Companion for the group's convenience earlier on in a Season, or during the lower levels of GR progression, where DPS optimization is still not necessity.
In your passives, staples like Ambush, Cull the Weak and Awareness are still quite valuable even when grouped up. Since in group play survival is (mostly) not yours to manage, you should swap Numbing Traps into Single Out for consistency during the GR Guardian kill. If you trust your support teammates, you can even drop the cheat death of Awareness for the extra DPS of Steady Aim.
The vast majority of the Impale-specific items will remain unchanged during group progression. You will still be taking advantage of the mixture of the Shadow's Mantle and Aughild's Authority sets, doing the suggested 5-to-2 split from the soloing build and using a cubed Ring of Royal Grandeur to maximize their set powers. The duo of Karlei's Point and Holy Point Shot are an irreplaceable part of the build, so they also remain locked in place. The jewelry remains split between the Endless Walk set and a Convention of Elements.
In group GRs, you can switch belts to the glass cannon staple The Witching Hour to optimize damage against the boss.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
In group Greater Rifting, you will be tasked with taking down the Rift Guardian. No other gem will help you in that regard quite as much as Bane of the Stricken, which replaces the usual Pain Enhancer from its socket.
|Torso and Pants|
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
Adapting Kanai's Cube
Dawn will be a fixture in your weapons Cube slot, as its Vengeance cooldown reduction is too good to pass up. Stone Gauntlets also continue to be a stalwart source of defense. Ring of Royal Grandeur will occupy the jewelry Cube slot by necessity, to tie the bonuses of the Shadow and Aughild sets together.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
- 13 Apr. 2022: Guide reviewed for Season 26.
- 09 Dec. 2021: Added Season 25 Soul Shard recommendations.
- 21 Jul. 2021: No changes required for Season 24.
- 01 Apr. 2021: No changes required for Season 23.
- 18 Nov. 2020: Added S22 Cube recommendation.
- 06 Jul. 2020: Reverted guide recommendation back to the lightning version of the build; included additional clarifications for variant playstyles of the build.
- 30 Jun. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 21 Nov. 2019: Overhauled the page for Season 19.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Reviewed for Season 18.
- Diablo 3 Celebrates 10 Years Today
- Diablo Immortal: Realm of Damnation Official Zone Preview
- Arclight Rumble Will Not Have Loot Boxes or NFTs
- Warcraft Arclight Rumble Minimum Specs, Possible 2022 Release, and No PC Port
- Warcraft Arclight Rumble Gameplay Videos
- Battle.net Balance Can Be Used for Purchases in Diablo Immortal
- Blizzard on Making Diablo Immortal for PC
- Diablo Immortal Launch Date and PC Open Beta