Shadow Impale Demon Hunter Speed Farming Variation
On this page, we explain everything that is specific to the Speed Farming variant of Shadow Impale Demon Hunter. Updated for patch 2.6.9 and Season 21.
The Shadow Impale Demon Hunter deals with regular Rift farming decently all the way through the highest Torments, making it a viable build for the task. We have speed farming rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Impale Ricochet Companion Wolf Companion 1 Vengeance Dark Heart 2 Smoke Screen Vanishing Powder 3 Vault Tumble 4 Shadow Power Gloom|
When you are speed farming regular rifts, parts of your playstyle will adapt to the lowered challenge and focus more on speed and utility.
During standard rift runs, you will be able to cover much greater distances due to the interaction between Vault and Tactical Advantage, with the former being free to cast due to the powers of the Chain of Shadows belt. You will still be triggering Shadow Power at the start of a run and re-applying Vengeance on cooldown for its protective properties, but the remainder of your rotation will be dedicated to utility, with Smoke Screen Vanishing Powder (also triggering Tactical Advantage) and Wolf Companion for the extra damage.
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the base Greater Rift progression build, but others will have to change according to the task at hand. Ability to cross over great distances faster and more efficiently take precedence.
- You can run any Impale rune you like, but for standard rifts we recommend the utility of the autoimed bounces of Ricochet.
- Shadow Power is still an inseparable part of Shadow set builds, and the value from its permanence and application of all runes is too good to pass up (note the movement speed increase of Shadow Glide, for example).
- Vault is still a necessary addition, perhaps even more so during speed farming. Though you are free to run the crowd control of Rattling Roll, but our recommendation is to run cheaper alternative Tumble.
- Vengeance Dark Heart is an omnipresent self-buff in all versions of the build.
- During normal rift speed farm, you have considerable freedom when choosing the replacement of Fan of Knives Bladed Armor — ranging from a generator like Bolas Thunder Ball if you run Focus and Restraint, to utility skills like Smoke Screen Vanishing Powder and Preparation Focused Mind.
- Once you comfortably outscale the content, you can swap Cull the Weak out during normal Rifts for a speedfarm-appropriate passive like Blood Vengeance, for extra resource stability and synergy with Avarice Band.
- Use your fourth passive slot for the massive runspeed boost from Tactical Advantage while farming low tier content.
- Ambush still brings excellent value to speed farming, as the increase of upfront burst almost guarantees oneshots in the standard difficulties.
It is worth noting that to optimize your farming convenience in regular rifts, you should swap away from the progression-oriented Aughild's Authority set, but still keep Ring of Royal Grandeur in the Cube — and incorporate some farming-appropriate legendary powers instead. The default recommendation is Gloves of Worship, but there are other decent options like Leoric's Crown and Hexing Pants of Mr. Yan.
When speed farming, the timing of Convention of Elements will be misplaced, so you can either swap to the consistent protection of an Elusive Ring, or a generic damage increase from a Lightning-rolled Stone of Jordan. It is also recommended to swap away from the Endless Walk set, as it promotes a static fighting style unfit for normal rifts; use the more offensive combo of Avarice Band and a Squirt's Necklace. Avarice Band's pickup radius bonus is an incredible boon during speed farming, as it benefits not only your movement speed through a socketed Boon of the Hoarder, but also negates downtime picking up progression orbs and gold. While any well-rolled amulet can fill the slot for Torments, Squirt's Necklace will bring the most burst damage, and you can all but ignore its "increase of damage taken" with the way you overpower content in regular rifts.
In order to get through runs faster, equip Nemesis Bracers — they will provide you with more champions to fight, playing into the elite hunting flavor of the build.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Bane of the Trapped remains a universally desired damage amplification gem.
During speed farming, Pain Enhancer will be a progression-oriented overkill and should be replaced by Boon of the Hoarder. The latter is a high utility gem that feeds you practically infinite gold, gives you a massive short-term speed boost while picking it up, and synergizes excellently with the worn Avarice Band for a sizable speed boost, and the Goldwrap for near-invulnerability.
If you trust your ability to focus down and chain elites in regular rifts, you can safely swap Gogok of Swiftness out for Bane of the Powerful for the consistent, easily sustained damage increase. If you overpower content so much that even Bane of the Powerful is unnecessary, you can consider using Wreath of Lightning for the extra speed.
|Torso and Pants|
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
Adapting Kanai's Cube
If you opt to include an additional legendary power in place of one of the Shadow set pieces during speedfarm, you will need to cube Ring of Royal Grandeur to maintain the 6-piece Shadow bonus.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
- 06 Jul. 2020: Reverted guide recommendation back to the lightning version of the build; included additional clarifications for variant playstyles of the build.
- 30 Jun. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 21 Nov. 2019: Overhauled the page for Season 19.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Reviewed for Season 18.
- Possible Diablo 3 Season 22 Delay and Diablo 4 Q3 Update
- Diablo Lilith Statue Arrives to Buyers Ahead of October 16
- Remastered Diablo Intro Cinematic
- 10,000+ Stacks of the Seasonal Buff, With No End in Sight! Wudijo Goes Crazy Stackin'
- Double Bounties Buff Only Available to Seasonal Characters
- S21 Rank 1 4-man GR 150 Runs for US, EU and Asia: Sub-4 Minute Achieved!
- The Pacifist Run: Player Finishes Diablo 3 Story Without Doing Anything (No Attacking, Abilities or Followers)
- Diablo PC Review from 1997
- Masquerade Bone Spear Necromancer
- Mundunugu Spirit Barrage Witch Doctor
- What is the best class for doing lots of GR (greater rifts)
- PoJ Tempest Rush Monk
- Holy Shotgun Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- Monk Inna's Mantra Set Dungeon
- Archon Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Impale Demon Hunter (Patch 2.6.4)