GoD Hungering Arrow Speed Farming Demon Hunter Build (Patch 2.7.2 / Season 25)
The GoD Hungering Arrow Demon Hunter deals with regular Rift farming quite well all the way through the highest Torments and is very adept at farming low tier Greater Rifts for Paragon levels and legendary gem upgrades, making it a viable build for any speed farming task. We have solo speed GR rankings and solo speed T16 rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Hungering Arrow Devouring Arrow Strafe Drifting Shadow 1 Companion Ferret Companion 2 Smoke Screen Displacement 3 Preparation Focused Mind 4 Vengeance Dark Heart|
When you are speed farming regular rifts, parts of your playstyle will adapt to the lowered challenge and focus more on speed and utility.
The major dynamic of the build remains largely the same, as you will Strafe from fight to fight and spread your deadly Hungering Arrow shots through the set mechanic. You will be focusing a lot more on movement and utility, of course, and alongside the usual on-cooldown activations of Vengeance, you will also be using Smoke Screen Displacement quite liberally, counterbalanced with Preparation Focused Mind to offset the cost. You will be allowed much greater freedom of movement due to the interaction between Smoke Screen and Tactical Advantage, and you will fuel your mobility via your Avarice Band-augmented pickup radius and its interaction with Blood Vengeance.
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the base Greater Rift progression build, but others will have to change according to the task at hand. Ability to cross over great distances faster and more efficiently take precedence.
- The main interaction of the build — the one between Hungering Arrow Devouring Arrow and Strafe Drifting Shadow — remains unchanged, and both skills and their rune selection will be staples in your speed farming runs.
- Vengeance Dark Heart is an omnipresent self-buff in all versions of the build.
- You can keep Companion in the build, but opt for the flavorful and speed farming-appropriate rune Ferret Companion, which bolsters your movement speed.
- Both Fan of Knives and Shadow Power from the progression build are far too tanky for the requirements of speed runs, so it is advisable to swap these skills out for Smoke Screen and Preparation, respectively. Smoke Screen will provide you with another burst of speed through the rune Displacement, while Preparation will offset the cost of the former with the abundant Discipline regeneration of the Focused Mind rune.
- As far as passive selection goes, you will keep Ambush from the base build for its massive upfront burst potential. It is also advisable to use Awareness to prevent any mishaps; overconfidence is an easy pitfall when you start to comfortably trample the content, but the DH remains a rather glassy and burst-prone class. The remainder of your passives will ease your farming considerably. Tactical Advantage offers a nice speed boost whenever you pop Smoke Screen. Blood Vengeance will not only expand your Hatred pool, but also enables a Reaper's Wraps-like effect that replenishes both Hatred and Discipline when picking up health globes. This passive will benefit immensely from the cubed Avarice Band and result in stable resources despite the heavy spending in speedruns.
You will still be taking advantage of the full 6-piece set bonuses of Gears of Dreadlands, incorporating five of the six pieces that you would in progression, but equipping Depth Diggers instead of Cold Cathode Trousers. Wearing Depth Diggers allows you to run another speed run-synergistic power in the armor slot of the Cube, as discussed below. Of course, that necessitates that you complete the GoD powers by cubing a Ring of Royal Grandeur.
In speed farm, it is advisable to abandon the damage reduction from the Wraps of Clarity in favor of Warzechian Armguards, for the environment destruction speed buffs that are easily provided by the AoE of this build. The former favorites, the elite spawning Nemesis Bracers, are still very valuable, but they can now be equipped on the follower while still getting their bonus via the Emanate mechanics. You should still equip them in groups, where you cannot have a follower with you. The Nemesis Bracers value comes from the additional loot — not to mention progression — coming from the extra elite spawns. They let you finish standard rifts that much faster, and acquire the coveted GR keys in greater amounts.
It should be noted that your jewelry during farming can still be the Bastions of Will set ( Focus and Restraint); however, once you perfect your character and no longer want for burst, you should use utility-focused jewelry instead. A combination of Avarice Band and a Cold damage Stone of Jordan is a nice alteration. The union of Avarice Band with Boon of the Hoarder will greatly improve your speed, as well as feed into your gold reserve for the costly GR empowerments. The Cold SoJ will simply be a consistent, care-free damage increase as you farm.
To help with your Hatred management, it is recommended that you swap your weaponry setup into a worn Yang's Recurve and The Ninth Cirri Satchel combo. While it might seem counterintuitive at first due to its Multishot-oriented bonuses, Yang's Recurve brings a massive innate Resource Cost Reduction roll, which greatly assits your Hatred management during farming.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
In normal rifts, the third gem slot should be taken by Boon of the Hoarder. This high utility gem feeds you practically infinite gold and gives you a massive short-term speed boost while picking it up, automated by a worn Avarice Band. If you are doing GR speed farming in lower tiers for XP and gem ups, you should slot Bane of the Trapped here.
Season 25 Soul Shards
- Helm — Shard of Hatred with "Your movement speed is increased by 50%" as its Rank 3 power. For optimization benefits, aim for Dexterity or Melee/Ranged Damage Reduction on its Rank 2 roll.
- Weapon — Stain of Sin with "You gain an additional Rift Progress Orb when you kill an elite pack" as its Rank 3 power. For optimization benefits, aim for Cold Skills % Increase or Weapon Damage Increase on its Rank 2 roll.
|Torso and Pants|
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
Adapting Kanai's Cube
Lastly, in order to maintain the valuable 6-piece bonus of Gears of Dreadlands set, you will need to cube a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the jewelry slot.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
The recommended follower for this build during standard rift farming for keys is the Enchantress due to her numerous utility bonuses, allowing you to smooth out your speed runs even further.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
The preferred potion for this build is Bottomless Potion of Kulle-Aid, which will allow you to break through movement-impeding Elite affixes — generally a problem for builds that move based on channeling effects.
- 09 Dec. 2021: Added Season 25 Soul Shard recommendations.
- 21 Jul. 2021: Added S24 Ethereal recommendation.
- 01 Apr. 2021: Minor skill revision; added follower recommendation.
- 18 Nov. 2020: Added S22 Cube recommendation.
- 08 Jul. 2020: Added slight alteration to the weaponry to make resource management easier.
- 30 Jun. 2020: Guide added.
- The Darkening of Tristram Returns January 3rd
- Diablo 4 Quarterly Update, December 2021: +Skill Ranks Affixes, Legendary Affix Transfers, Paragon Talents, Visual Effects
- World First Hardcore Greater Rift 150 Solo Clear in Season 25
- Season 25 Demon Hunter Hotfix Now Live
- Big Blizzard Store Holiday Sale: D2R, Character Services, Shadowlands, Pets, Mounts and More
- Which Class to Play in Season 25?
- Diablo 4 Quarterly Update Coming in Late December
- All Diablo 3 Season 25 Guides (Patch 2.7.2)