Arachyr Firebats Witch Doctor Speed Farming Variation
Angry Chicken Speed Farming
By adopting Hex Angry Chicken into the build, The Arachyr Firebats Witch Doctor deals excellently with Normal Rift farming all the way through the highest Torment difficulties. With the appropriate gear modifications outlined below, it should also prove as a reliable and capable bounty farming build. We have speed farming rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Horrify Stalker Locust Swarm Pestilence 1 Hex Angry Chicken 2 Spirit Walk Severance 3 Summon Zombie Dogs Life Link 4 Soul Harvest Soul to Waste|
The speedrun rotation tries to apply, detonate and re-apply the Angry Chicken as often as it possibly can, taking advantage of the huge damage multipliers of both the Arachyr 6-piece and the Manajuma 2-piece sets. Before you enter your next Angry Chicken form, you can Soul Harvest for the additional movement speed from Soul to Waste, Horrify for the additional movement speed of Stalker (and the proc of Rechel's Ring of Larceny), as well as apply another huge movement speed buff from Spirit Walk Severance. Last but not least, Summon Zombie Dogs to accompany you during your farming, as they will speed you up through the Fierce Loyalty passive.
In the skill selection, you will accomplish that by:
- Hex turns from a utility cooldown into the centerpiece of the build for the speedfarming spec, transforming the Witch Doctor into an Angry Chicken. The standard 2-second duration of the Angry Chicken form is extended to the generous 15 seconds through the Manajuma set, and receives two major damage multipliers from both Arachyr and Manajuma. In a dense fight, the player-controlled detonations will trigger additional detonations from slain enemies, effectively oneshotting trash and elites alike.
- In speedruns, the automated spread of Locust Swarm via the Wormwood will be more convenient than manual Haunts to apply the effect of Ring of Emptiness, so take the former on your bar, along with the rune Pestilence.
- You can also consider dropping Firebats as a whole, since Angry Chicken should do more than enough damage. In its stead, you can take Summon Zombie Dogs Life Link for some upfront mitigation, as well as a proc for the Fierce Loyalty movespeed increase.
- Make a mental note to pop Spirit Walk right before adding another 100% movement speed from Angry Chicken (due to the Manajuma set) to send yourself flying through rifts and bounties — especially useful for bad RNG, empty maps.
- Swap the Soul Harvest rune from Languish to Soul to Waste, and take Piranhas out entirely for Horrify Stalker; this is a duo of very effective, speedfarm-appropriate movement speed boosts.
- In your passives, you can consider swapping Confidence Ritual out for the movespeed increase of Fierce Loyalty, but you will ideally include both passives via a well-rolled Hellfire Amulet of Intelligence.
- Slot Tribal Rites instead of Creeping Death, as it will cut the cooldown of Hex by 25%, ensuring you get back into Angry Chicken form as soon as possible.
- Finally, you should replace Creeping Death with Gruesome Feast — the strongest damage passive for Witch Doctors due to its true multiplier, it grants you a 10% increase of Mana and Intelligence when you pick up a health globe, stacking up to five times.
The buildup mechanic of the Endless Walk set is unfit for speedruns; you should use a Stone of Jordan (initially) or Rechel's Ring of Larceny (when optimized), as well as The Flavor of Time in their stead. A poison-rolled Stone of Jordan is a straightforward damage addition to the build, preferable to the rotation-based Convention of Elements due to its consistency and on-demand damage during farming. At some point even that would be overkilling on damage, so it can be replaced by the extra movement speed procs of Rechel's Ring of Larceny (triggered via Horrify.) Optimally, you will pair this ring with Squirt's Necklace, which adds another damage multiplier to the build.
As you will not rely on Firebats at all during speedrunning, two farming staples fill out the aforementioned gear slots. The recommended legendary in the wrists slot are the Warzechian Armguards, whose environment destruction-based speed boosts will greatly improve your rift clear speeds. The former favorites for the slot, Nemesis Bracers, are still quite useful in the build, but during solo farming they can be equipped on your follower, and their power will carry over to your character via the Emanate mechanic.
For Torment farming, a strongly suggested belt swap is the Goldwrap. Synergizing with Boon of the Hoarder and Avarice Band, Goldwrap will render you practically invulnerable and allow you to focus on killing and looting without regards for your safety.
The mandatory weapon and offhand swap for speedrunning are the Manajuma's Way set, Manajuma's Carving Knife and Manajuma's Gory Fetch. They are essential to the farming playstyle by providing Hex damage multiplication, AoE potential and movement speed bonuses. Rolls-wise, aim for high Damage and Cooldown Reduction on Manajuma's Carving Knife and high Damage range, Intelligence, Crit Chance and CDR on Manajuma's Gory Fetch.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
In regular Rift farming, damage-oriented gems that scale with time spent fighting ( Bane of the Stricken) or density ( Pain Enhancer) will prove too slow and inefficient to be worth the socket. In their place, use farming staples like Bane of the Powerful for the generic damage increase, and Boon of the Hoarder for its synergy with an equipped Goldwrap and cubed Avarice Band.
|Torso and Pants||
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
Adapting Kanai's Cube
Your jewelry Cube slot will be taken by Avarice Band: an Act III cache legendary ring, whose unique property extends your pickup radius up to 30 yards for a generous 10-second period. Triggered, maximized and constantly refreshed from the endless stream of Boon of the Hoarder gold, the ring and the gem will keep you sped up throughout the rift.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
The recommended follower for this build during standard rift farming for keys is the Enchantress due to her numerous utility bonuses, allowing you to smooth out your speed runs even further.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
Your recommended potion is Bottomless Potion of the Tower, whose Armor-increasing properties complement the naturally high All Resistances stat of Witch Doctors (due to Intelligence scaling Resistances) for optimal survivability.
- 01 Apr. 2021: Minor gear revision and added follower recommendation.
- 19 Nov. 2020: Added Cube recommendations for Season 22.
- 01 Jul. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 14 Mar. 2020: Guide adjusted to reflect the changes to Ring of Emptiness.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Reviewed for Season 19.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Flavor of Time is now the recommended amulet.
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Diablo II Resurrected Technical Alpha Starting April 8th
- Signs of the Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha: Korean Test Announced
- Razor Strop Fix for Game Freezes and Connection issues
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- All Diablo 3 Season 23 Guides (Patch 2.7.0)
- Which Class to Play in Season 23?
- Upcoming Follower Hotfix for Consoles