Spirit Barrage Mundunugu WD Speed Farming Variation
Mundunugu's Regalia Spirit Barrage Witch Doctor Speed Farming Variation
The Mundunugu's Regalia Spirit Barrage Witch Doctor can deal excellently with Normal Rift and Bounty farming all the way through the highest Torment difficulties. The build variation is a top choice for the class for the purpose, handling both tasks with ease. We have solo speed GR rankings and solo speed T16 rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Spirit Barrage Manitou Locust Swarm Pestilence 1 Horrify Stalker 2 Spirit Walk Severance 3 Big Bad Voodoo Boogie Man 4 Soul Harvest Soul to Waste
When you are speed farming regular rifts, parts of your playstyle will adapt to the lowered challenge and focus more on speed and utility.
When beginning a run, start with a Phantasm spawn to empower your Manitou; then, Spirit Walk into enemies, pop Big Bad Voodoo into Soul Harvest into Horrify to get their respective buffs up and redo the Spirit Barrage assault. This will implode nearby enemies, resetting your cooldowns via Grave Injustice and In-geom, and you will be ready to start the cycle anew. Cast Locust Swarm on tougher enemies, like Elites and Rift Guardians, to proc the Ring of Emptiness buff. Make sure to recast your buffs regularly, especially Big Bad Voodoo when you change levels — since it does not follow you to the next map.
Adapting Skills and Passives
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the base Greater Rift progression build, but others will have to change according to the task at hand. Ability to cross over great distances faster and more efficiently take precedence.
- Naturally, you will keep Spirit Barrage as your main damage dealer, along with the extra damage rune Manitou. Keep Locust Swarm Pestilence around to proc the effects of Ring of Emptiness whenever you face sturdier enemies like Elites and Guardians. Another piece from the GR solo build that you will keep is Spirit Walk with Severance for the incomparable movement speed it provides.
- Soul Harvest will be kept from the progression spec, but you can alter the defense-oriented Languish rune to the pure movement speed buff of Soul to Waste.
- You will maintain Big Bad Voodoo from the main build, but simply alter the overly defensive rune Ghost Trance. You can run the rune Boogie Man to spawn Summon Zombie Dogs from its effect, triggering the movement speed bonuses of the Fierce Loyalty passive. Additionally, you can make a clever swap once you get a dog spawn from the first pack you kill with BBV active, and use another rune like Slam Dance, since the dogs will not despawn.
- Since the kill speed in Torments is too fast for enemy grouping to occur and matter, you will be replacing Piranhas Piranhado from the main spec with Horrify Stalker for the extra movement speed. Note that this effect will also proc the legendary bonus of Rechel's Ring of Larceny, further improving mobility.
- Our passive lineup recommendation is Spirit Vessel (for a failsafe cheat death), Gruesome Feast (for the massive damage bonuses when killing large groups of enemies quickly), Grave Injustice (for the staple Cooldown Reduction), and Fierce Loyalty (for the movement speed buff from the active summons).
Most of the gear from the Greater Rift progression build will still make sense for speed farming, but a few variations will be necessary, in order to maximize your productivity and momentum during regular Rift clears.
The Mundunugu's Regalia set is still worn almost in its entirety, but it is recommended that you use the Act II bounty cache legendary Gloves of Worship as a worn piece, as the extended bonuses of even the most common Shrines can be quite valuable during speed farming, i.e. Empowered brings resource regeneration and feeds you damage bonuses through the set mechanic. They replace the Mundunugu's Rhythm and necessitate the use of Ring of Royal Grandeur in your jewelry Cube slot to complete the 6-piece Mundunugu bonus. This change, however, nets you a valuable armor Cube slot for utility bonuses — see the Cube section below.
During standard rift speed farming, the pacing-reliant bonuses of the Endless Walk set are greatly diminished in usefulness. In their place, wear a Squirt's Necklace and either Rechel's Ring of Larceny (in solo play), or Avarice Band (in groups). Ring of Emptiness remains a universally useful damage amplification item, but it can be dropped eventually if you feel you are overkilling in damage.
- Avarice Band is an Act III bounty cache legendary ring that increases your gold and health globe pickup radius as you pick up gold — stacking to the massive, half-screen circle of 30 yards for a generous 10 second duration. Its legendary power will greatly assist you in maintaining the movement speed bonuses from both a socketed Boon of the Hoarder and the near-invulnerability from Goldwrap. In solo play, you can equip your Follower with the Avarice Band and it will "Emanate" to you (meaning you gain the benefits of the item as if you wore it yourself), opening the slot for Rechel's. In group play, you have to wear the Avarice Band yourself.
- Rechel's Ring of Larceny brings a massive movement speed buff any time you fear your enemies, which you will do quite often with Horrify.
- Squirt's Necklace brings a massive multiplicative damage increase, but comes with an "increased damage taken" drawback. You can use it almost without repercussion however, due to the Goldwrap armor bonuses stacking your toughness sky-high as you farm.
During low tier GRs or normal rift speedruns, an optimized character can avoid the overkill of toughness in the bracer slot by swapping to Warzechian Armguards, whose environment destruction-based speed boosts will greatly improve your rift clear speeds. The former favorites for the slot, Nemesis Bracers, are still quite useful in the build, but during solo farming they can be equipped on your follower, and their power will carry over to your character via the Emanate mechanic.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Altar of Rites
The former Season 28 theme, the Altar of Rites, has been revised and re-added to Diablo 3 as a permanent character progression mechanic. — For virtually all builds and players of all skill levels — from casual to advanced — we recommend progressing through the Altar tree using the path outlined below. The suggested path is geared towards maximum quality of life first, then amplifying damage, and then mopping up the tree with defensive and edge case utility nodes.
Note that while they require reaching them with a Seal, Legendary Potion Powers are not part of the Seal cost system; Potions unlock with a separate resource called Primordial Ashes, obtained from salvaging Legendary or Set items of Primal (red bordered) quality. Upgrade them as soon as possible, and in the order shown below (courtesy of Caleko's Altar of Rites planner).
You can read more on the Altar of Rites, Seals and Legendary Potion Powers in our dedicated Altar of Rites Mechanics guide.
Bane of the Trapped remains a universally desired damage amplification gem.
Boon of the Hoarder is a great speed farming inclusion, as it increases both your gold income (necessary for empowering GRs), as well as your movement speed and survivability (through its interaction with Goldwrap).
Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard is suggested in the third slot simply for the upkeep of Squirt's Necklace bonuses; if you dislike playing with that amulet, you can viably alternate to Gogok of Swiftness here.
Season 30 Soul Shards
In Season 30, your helm and weapon sockets will be taken over by the supremely powerful Soul Shards. For this variant, we recommend the following:
- Helm — Sliver of Terror with "Your Attack Speed and Critical Hit Chance are increased by 5% for each skill on cooldown" as its Rank 3 power. For optimization benefits, aim for Intelligence or Melee/Ranged Damage Reduction on its Rank 2 roll.
- Weapon — Essence of Anguish with "When you deal Poison damage to an enemy, they receive 50% increased Poison damage from all sources for 10 seconds" as its Rank 3 power. For optimization benefits, aim for Cold Skills % Increase or Weapon Damage Increase on its Rank 2 roll. Note that Essence of Anguish requires dealing Poison damage to trigger its Base Power; in this build, you accomplish this either by re-rolling the weapon damage range (the two numbers displayed just under the big total DPS number; the first Primary stat roll of any weapon) of your own weapon to Poison, or doing the same to your follower's weapon.
|Torso and Pants
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
Adapting Kanai's Cube
In-geom is a staple speedfarming selection for the weapon Cube slot, cutting all your cooldowns by 10 seconds every time you take down an elite — a bonus you will chain constantly during speed farming, ensuring smoothness of your Rift runs.
If you are mixing the Mundunugu set with utility legendaries as we suggest, you will need a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the jewelry Cube slot. Alternatively, you can wear the full 6-piece Mundunugu set and equip a Cold damage Stone of Jordan, and have the Ring of Emptiness slotted in the Cube.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
The recommended follower for this build during standard rift farming for keys is the Enchantress due to her numerous utility bonuses, allowing you to smooth out your speed runs even further.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
Your recommended potion is Bottomless Potion of the Tower, whose Armor-increasing properties complement the naturally high All Resistances stat of Witch Doctors (due to Intelligence scaling Resistances) for optimal survivability.
- 10 Jan. 2024: Revised guide for the permanent addition of the Altar of Rites, and added Season-specific Soul Shard recommendations.
- 13 Sep. 2023: Added Season 29 Paragon Cap and Gearing recommendations.
- 22 Feb. 2023: Added Season 28 Altar of Rites recommendations.
- 26 Aug. 2022: Added Season 27 Angelic Crucible recommendations.
- 14 Apr. 2022: Guide reviewed for Season 26.
- 06 Dec. 2021: Enriched the guide and added Season 25 Soul Shard recommendations.
- 22 Jul. 2021: Added S24 Ethereal recommendation.
- 01 Apr. 2021: Added follower recommendation.
- 19 Nov. 2020: Added Cube recommendations for Season 22.
- 01 Jul. 2020: Guide revised to reflect the changes in pet damage calculation.
- 10 Mar. 2020: Guide added.
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.3.1 Hotfixes: February 7th
- How To Get All Lunar Awakening Cosmetics and Mount Very Fast in Diablo 4’s New Event
- Protection Shrines May Not Work Correctly After Lunar Awakening Patch
- Workaround for Diablo 4 Crashing While Loading
- The Gauntlet & Leaderboards Launch Delayed
- World Tier 4 Vault and Trading Re-Enabled
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- World Tier 4 Vault of the Loom Temporarily Disabled