Rathma Skeletal Mages Necromancer Speed Farming Variation
On this page, we explain everything that is specific to the Speed Farming variant of Rathma Skeletal Mages Necromancer. Updated for patch 2.6.4 and Season 16.
1. Normal Rift Speed Farming Variation
The Rathma Skeletal Mage Necromancer can deal reasonably well with Normal Rift farming all the way through the highest Torment difficulties. The build variation suffers from minor inconveniences compared to top tier speed farming builds (lacking class-specific items for extra movement, limited skill and passive choices for the purpose).
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
2. Adapting Skills
|Blood Rush Metabolism Skeletal Mage Skeleton Archer 1 Devour Devouring Aura 2 Land of the Dead Frozen Lands 3 Command Skeletons Freezing Grasp 4 Frailty Aura of Frailty|
In the skill selection, you will accomplish that by:
- Most importantly, changing the slower, controlled pace of Singularity for the weaker, but Essence-efficient Skeleton Archers. The damage drop will not be noticeable in regular Rifts, but the ease of resource management definitely will. Note that this mandates the change to Cold damage on gear.
- Swapping the Cannibalize rune on Devour for the farming convenience of Devouring Aura. Note the extension of the aura radius through your gold pickup radius — an important factor that you will influence through gearing (see below).
- Swapping the defensive Decrepify curse for the automated, offense staple Frailty Aura of Frailty. Similarly to Devouring Aura, this rune scales with pickup radius (see below).
- Exchanging your Bone Spikes generator for the mobility of Blood Rush, augmented by the doubled charges of Metabolism.
- In the passives, replacing progression choices like Overwhelming Essence and Life from Death with powerful farming passives like Fueled by Death and Final Service.
3. Adapting Gear
Progress-oriented jewelry like Haunted Visions and Convention of Elements greatly diminish in usefulness during Normal Rift runs. When doing farming content, the recommended jewelry replacements are an Avarice Band and a Hellfire Amulet of Intelligence. Avarice Band is an Act III cache legendary that, in conjunction with a gemmed Boon of the Hoarder and a worn Goldwrap, will render you practically invulnerable during Normal Rift farming. Note that it also extends your pickup radius up to the whopping 30 yards as you pick up gold, enabling a near screen-wide effect to both Devouring Aura and Aura of Frailty, and Spreading Malediction as a result. While any well-rolled amulet will do, you will ideally finish off the farming jewelry with a Hellfire Amulet of Intelligence with a helpful fifth passive like Dark Reaping.
4. Adapting Gemming
In speed runs, proper ranged positioning can be left out in favor of faster advancement through the rift and looting enemies with reckless abandon; thus, the value of a gem like Zei's Stone of Vengeance diminishes and it is best replaced by Boon of the Hoarder, part of the gold utility triumvirate outlined above.
|Torso and Pants||
5. Adapting Kanai's Cube
It is recommended that you swap out Reilena's Shadowhook from the Weapon slot in Kanai's Cube; its damage multiplication is welcome in the progression variant, but it ends up being a slower option to simply cubing In-geom for speed rifting. This farming staple cuts cooldowns by 10 seconds flat for a generous 15-second period after killing an elite, ensuring very high uptime on vital Corpse generation cooldowns and resulting in higher damage overall.
- 27 Oct. 2017: Adapted variant to the changes we made to the gear page.
- 17 Jul. 2017: Guide updated with improved skill and gearing recommendations.
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #38
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 37
- Season 17 Pushed Back to May + All Season Durations
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 36
- Activision Blizzard Q4 2018 Earnings Call & Layoffs
- Activision Blizzard Layoffs to Be Announced Soon?
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #35
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #34
- Why no Litany of the Undaunted Builds? (patch 2.6.4)
- LoN Star Pact Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Twister Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Whirlwind Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)
- Rathma Mages Necromancer (Patch 2.6.4)
- Condemn Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- WoL Monk (Patch 2.6.4)
- Is Corpse Lance the most powerful build we have for Necromancer?