Roland's Shield Bash Crusader Speed Farming Variation
On this page, we explain everything that is specific to the Speed Farming variant of Roland's Shield Bash Crusader. Updated for patch 2.6.8 and Season 20.
The Shield Bash can deal reasonably well with Normal Rift farming all the way through the highest Torment difficulties. The build variation suffers from minor inconveniences compared to top tier speed farming builds (conditional AoE, slightly clunkier mechanics), but otherwise handles the task with ease. We have speed farming rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Justice Sword of Justice Shield Bash Pound 1 Laws of Hope Wings of Angels 2 Steed Charge Endurance 3 Shield Glare Zealous Glare 4 Akarat's Champion Prophet|
When you are speed farming regular rifts, parts of your playstyle will adapt to the lowered challenge and focus more on speed and utility.
Your general playstyle will not alter greatly during farming; you will still rush from one elite pack to another (with the added incentive of In-geom cooldown resets), Shield Bashing the bigger targets and unleashing a Shield Glare to clear out the trash. Steed Charge will take you over any greater distance, and you will be doing the shorter runs with the speed boost of Laws of Hope Wings of Angels. If any monsters try to outrange you, draw them in with the pulling powers of Condemn Vacuum.
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the base Greater Rift progression build, but others will have to change according to the task at hand. Ability to cross over great distances faster and more efficiently take precedence.
- Shield Bash Pound (your main single target damage dealer), Shield Glare Zealous Glare (your main AoE nuke), Steed Charge Endurance (your primary movement tool) and Akarat's Champion Prophet (your strongest self-buff) will remain in your active skill lineup from the progression build.
- To facilitate farming, you should drop the GR progression-oriented Laws of Valor for the speedfarming staple Laws of Hope Wings of Angels, and the overly defensive Iron Skin for the monster pull of Condemn Vacuum.
- Your passive lineup from progression brings excellent value during speed farming as well, so you can stay with Heavenly Strength, Towering Shield, Finery and Long Arm of the Law. If you are doing bounties, you can consider dropping Finery for the improvement of Steed Charge uptime via Lord Commander.
You will still be taking advantage of the full 6-piece set bonuses of Rolands, incorporating 5 of the 6 available pieces according to your best rolls. The cubed Ring of Royal Grandeur allows you to tinker with additional bonuses, most notably the inclusion of the Sage's Journey set for Death's Breath farming. Take Sage's Ribbon and Sage's Passage for example, and then complete both bonuses with the RoRG.
Most of the gearing choices can be kept intact, but a speedfarming version of this build would benefit a lot from synergy with the plentiful gold drops in regular Rifts. This means the inclusion of Avarice Band over Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac, as well as a socketed Boon of the Hoarder. Convention of Elements' cycling damage bonuses will be too slow for standard rifts as well, so you can either use a Justice Lantern in this slot (to make up for the loss of Cpt. Crimson damage reduction), or — once you are comfortable that you outscale the content — use a Physical damage Stone of Jordan.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Bane of the Trapped remains a universally desired damage amplification gem.
During speed farming, Gogok of Swiftness will be a protective overkill and should be replaced by Boon of the Hoarder. The latter is a high utility gem that feeds you practically infinite gold, gives you a massive short-term speed boost while picking it up, and synergizes excellently with the worn Avarice Band for a sizable speed boost.
Since monster health is much more tame in the standard difficulties, you should also replace Bane of the Stricken with Bane of the Powerful for the consistent, easily sustained damage increase. If you overpower content so much that even Bane of the Powerful is unnecessary, you can consider using Wreath of Lightning for the extra speed.
|Torso and Pants||
Adapting Kanai's Cube
Your Cube choices during normal rift farming will differ from those for Greater Rift progress, focusing heavily on utility and speed. In-geom should occupy the weapon slot, as its cooldown resets will come very handy and will happen with great frequency due to the fast elite kills in low difficulties. To keep the synergy going, you will also be using Nemesis Bracers in the armor cube slot for the extra elite spawns.
Lastly, in order to maintain the valuable 6-piece bonus of Rolands and 3-piece bonus of the Sage set, you will need to cube a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the jewelry slot.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 19 Nov. 2019: Guide revised and updated for Season 19.
- 22 Aug. 2019: Item recommendations revised for Season 18.
- 15 May 2019: Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 22 Mar. 2018: Added the guide.
- Challenge Rift 144 Guides
- Blizzard Provides Staff with Care Packages During Lockdown
- Rod Ferguson's Diablo 4 Tweets, Art Director Images
- Challenge Rift 143 Guides
- Best Starter Builds for Path of Exile: Delirium
- Blizzard Implementing Work from Home Policy Due to Coronavirus
- How to Launch Diablo 3 Without the Battle.net Client
- All Class Guides for Diablo 3 Season 20, Patch 2.6.8
- LoD Hydra Wizard
- Monk Sunwuko Set Dungeon
- PoJ Tempest Rush Monk
- Holy Shotgun Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- Uliana Monk (Patch 2.6.4)
- LoN Blood Nova Necromancer (Patch 2.6.5)
- LoD Poison Nova Necromancer
- WoL Monk (Patch 2.6.4)