Natalya Marauder Sentry Demon Hunter Skills and Runes
On this page, we explain how to choose and use your skills when playing Natalya Marauder Sentry Demon Hunter in Diablo 3. Updated for Patch 2.7.4 and Season 27.
|Evasive Fire Focus Cluster Arrow Loaded for Bear 1 Companion No rune chosen 2 Vault Tumble 3 Sentry Polar Station 4 Rain of Vengeance Flying Strike
The Natalya/Marauder hybrid DH flips the damage dealing mechanics of its pure Marauder sister spec, focusing on amplifying Sentry damage rather than the Sentries empowering the DH. You will be keeping parts of the classic Marauder rotation — Evasive Fire Focus and Cluster Arrow Loaded for Bear trading for hatred buildup and damage dealing, respectively. However formidable, keep in mind that your own shots lose the Marauder 6-piece bonus, and the turrets no longer empower you — instead, you empower their Cluster Arrow mimic shots with regular casts of Rain of Vengeance through the Natalya 6-piece bonus. With respect to that, put down your Sentry Polar Station fast and keep them capped and well spread as you clear the rift. Use the utility of all Companions from the Marauder 2-piece bonus as often as you need, typically on cooldown. Last but not least, reposition as often as you need with Vault.
Skills and Runes
Similarly to some of the earliest RoS builds, Sentry delivers the bulk of the damage in this hybrid playstyle. As a result, while it does not buff the Demon Hunter's own output (due to the lack of a Marauder 6-piece), it is still mandatory to extend the number of Sentry charges with Custom Engineering and Bombardier's Rucksack. The build employs the Polar Station rune; it has the added benefit of proccing Bane of the Trapped and Cull the Weak on targets affected by its Chill radius. As such, make a point to spread the Sentry charges as best you can to cover the entire fight.
Due to the natural limitations imposed by the Marauder 4-piece bonus ("Sentries only cast a spender when you do"), you will balance your Hatred spending around a single major damage dealer. Arguably the strongest Demon Hunter spender, Cluster Arrow, is said skill of choice. You will augment it with the Fire rune Loaded for Bear, due to its superior Area Damage potential. (One of the earlier versions of the build, which focused on the Maelstrom rune and took Ballistics instead of Single Out, is still viable, if a little weaker.
As previously mentioned, you will be augmenting the turrets' damage rather than your own; this will be done with the interaction between the Natalya 6-piece set bonus and casting Rain of Vengeance, greatly reducing incoming damage while increasing your own and that of your sentries (see this build's gear page for more information). Playing into the ranged strengths of the build, you will be using the rune Flying Strike — and will also gain a solid 2-second Freeze on top for extra safety.
In order to feed the gluttonous 40-resource-per-shot Cluster Arrow, you will have to include a Hatred generator in the build. While theoretically any of the 7 Hatred (maximum) generator runes will do, the wide arc and lessened aiming factor, plus the elemental synergy of Evasive Fire Focus make it the default recommendation.
Due to the Marauder set 2-piece bonus, you will gain all the runes of Companion simultaneously at the cost of a single skill slot. The slows of the Spider Companion, Hatred regen of Bat Companion, extra toughness from the Boar Companion, movespeed of Ferret Companion and damage bonus of Wolf Companion will all be at your side, and should be augmented by their active component on cooldown.
With its focus on Sentry for the majority of its damage output, it is little surprise that you will be taking Custom Engineering — increasing the maximum number and initial charges of the turrets to three. While you will bolster their ranks even further with Bombardier's Rucksack, they are not part of the crucial initial charges.
You will round passives out with two additional damage multipliers — the CC-based bonuses of Cull the Weak and the range-based bonuses of Steady Aim. You attain the bonuses of the former mostly with the wide spread of the Polar Station chill, while the latter has a prerequisite distance of 20 yards. Considering that Steady Aim is marginally harder to keep up, it is the recommended passive to swap for Awareness if you prefer to keep a cheat death passive at your side.
There is a bit of flexibility in your final passive slot; in general we recommend that you take the single target damage amplification of Single Out, which greatly assists the Guardian fight of this Bane of the Stricken-less build. That being said, very high clears have also been achieved with Ambush, which is superior during the Rift clear itself, as it chews through the first quarter of the monsters' health, and the added burst is particularly effective against trash. Last but not least, if you opt for the Cold variation of this build with Maelstrom, swap this slot out for the rocket synergy of Ballistics.
- 26 Aug. 2022: Skills and passives reviewed for Season 27.
- 13 Apr. 2022: Guide reviewed for Season 26.
- 09 Dec. 2021: Reviewed for Season 25.
- 21 Jul. 2021: No changes required for Season 24.
- 01 Apr. 2021: No changes required for Season 23.
- 18 Nov. 2020: Added Vengeance to the build with the option to include Dawn in the Cube in Season 22.
- 30 Jun. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 21 Nov. 2019: Changed Cluster Arrow run from Maelstrom to Loaded for Bear and consequently replaced Ballistics with Singled Out in the passive selection.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Reviewed for Season 18.
- 16 May 2019: Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 17 Jan. 2019: Information was reviewed and approved for Season 16 with no changes required.
- 23 Feb. 2018: Added note for the Fire variant of this build.
- 17 Nov. 2017: Guide added.
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.3.1 Hotfixes: February 7th
- How To Get All Lunar Awakening Cosmetics and Mount Very Fast in Diablo 4’s New Event
- Protection Shrines May Not Work Correctly After Lunar Awakening Patch
- Workaround for Diablo 4 Crashing While Loading
- The Gauntlet & Leaderboards Launch Delayed
- World Tier 4 Vault and Trading Re-Enabled
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- World Tier 4 Vault of the Loom Temporarily Disabled