Freeze Shaman Deck - Fractured in Alterac Valley
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Freeze Shaman in The Fractured in Alterac Valley expansion meta.
Freeze Shaman is a Midrange deck that utilises revolves around utilising Freeze effects to activate its various powerful synergies to dominate the board and pressure opponents. Despite the archetype being joked about for years, only with the release of the Fractured in Alterac Valley expansion did it receive a range of powerful tools for it to become a full-fledged archetype.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Freeze Shaman Deck Mulligan Guide
As a Midrange deck, Freeze Shaman requires a solid early game in order to smoothly curve out and you should use your mulligan to help make this happen.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Sleetbreaker, Cagematch Custodian, Wildpaw Cavern.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Frostbite, Auctionhouse Gavel.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Bolner Hammerbeak.
Freeze Shaman Deck Strategy
Within the early game you should look to utilise cards like Cagematch Custodian and Sleetbreaker to draw and generate cards to maximise you options going into the mid game. Should your opponent put up any resistance, you can alternatively use Auctionhouse Gavel, Serpentshrine Portal and Frostbite to keep the board under control.
As you get into the mid game, your primary am is to safely get Wildpaw Cavern into play. As this is a relatively low-tempo line of play, Windchills can be used to slow your opponent down as a needed.
After you have passed your 4-Mana turn, you can begin looking to make a push to dominate the board, ideally with Wildpaw Cavern in play. During this time, Freezing enemy minions is adaquate, however, you may also bring a Cheaty Snobold into play if the targets need to be removed. This can be followed by bringing Snowfall Guardians into play, which will prevent any of your opponent's minions from attacking while generating a huge threat in the process. This can be done several turns in a row if needed, utilising Brilliant Macaws to repeat the Battlecry if required. If your opponent leaves one of your Snowfall Guardians unchecked, you can capitalise on this through the use of Battleground Battlemaster to convert it into huge damage.
If you make it to the late game, either because your Snowfall Guardians get dealt with or you were simply unable to draw them, Multicasters can be used to refill your hand to continue to put on pressure throughout the game. In addition to this, you will also gain access to two powerful late-game power cards in the form of Bearon Gla'shear and Bru'kan of the Elements. Bru'kan can be freely used when you have the Mana to do so, giving you random access to the Water Invocation, Earth Invocation, Fire Invocation, and Lightning Invocation Hero Powers to continually generate value throughout the game. However, before playing Bearon Gla'shear you should ensure you have played several Windchills and Frostbite, ideally at least a combined total of 4, to ensure you will generate a respectable number of Elementals.
Against Aggro, you should be much more active with your removal to slow down your opponent to prevent yourself from taking damage. Once you get into a position to play Snowfall Guardians, you should be able to easily deal with the board by combining it with a Cheaty Snobold, or simply close out the game with the resultant tempo.
Against Control, you should expect you opponent to be able to comfortably deal with your Snowfall Guardians. To account for this, you should try to get Bru'kan of the Elements into play as soon as possible so you can begin using it to generate value for the rest of the game.
Freeze Shaman Deck Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 2x Lightning Bloom for 1x Battleground Battlemaster and 1x Cagematch Custodian for more explosive openers.
- 08 Dec. 2021: Guide added.
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Hearthstone March of the Lich King Shaman Card Reveal Recap: November 20th
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- Hearthstone March of the Lich King Warrior Card Reveal Recap: November 19th
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players