Rogue Crafting Guide
Table of Contents
- +1. Class-Specific Cards
- +2. Neutral Cards
- +3. Gold Allocation Guide
- 4. ChangeLog
On this page, you will find a list of the most useful Common, Rare, Epic, and Legendary cards for the Rogue class, in terms of crafting. We separate cards by their rarity; Common, Rare, Epic and Legendary, but each individual card is given a rating of priority. It is important to know that a Rare or Epic card that is given a "High" or "Top" priority rating should be crafted before a Legendary with a "Medium" rating. In fact, if you have 1,600 Arcane Dust to spend, crafting 2 or 3 Epics and a handful of Rares is usually better than spending it all on a single Legendary. If a card is not mentioned, you can safely assume that it is rarely, or never, used in the Constructed meta.
You will also find a guide on how to best allocate your gold or money between the various Card packs and Adventures. This can vary greatly from class to class and has a great effect on how quickly and efficiently you can build a competitive deck.
1. Class-Specific Cards
In this section, we list the class-specific cards that are important for you as a Rogue.
- Eviscerate - Priority = HIGH: Eviscerate is a strong tempo card, as it is usually able to remove a minion that is greater than its own cost. It is also a powerful tool for providing burst damage to finish your opponent.
- Hallucination - Priority = MEDIUM: Hallucination is a cheap flexible card that can fit into most Rogue decks. It is a strong choice for Miracle Rogue specifically, as it also functions as a cheap spell to use alongside Gadgetzan Auctioneer.
- Cold Blood - Priority = MEDIUM: Cold Blood is a powerful card that can generate a lot of damage for a low Mana cost.
- Razorpetal Lasher - Priority = LOW: Razorpetal Lasher alleviate Rogues lack of turn 2 plays while also providing a cheap spell that can be used as a Combo activator.
- SI:7 Agent - Priority = TOP: SI:7 Agent is a key tempo card, as well as being a strong answer to early aggression. Being able to reverse the momentum of the game early on by simultaneously removing a minion while playing your own is a very difficult effect to replicate if you do not have access to this card.
- Elven Minstrel - Priority = HIGH: Elven Minstrel is an excellent card that offers good card draw while developing a minion in the process. It is an excellent addition to any Rogue deck.
- Mimic Pod - Priority = LOW: Mimic Pod is a cycle effect that can be used in any Rogue deck. As it provides two copies of the same card, it is especially useful in Quest decks aiming to complete The Caverns Below.
- Preparation - Priority = TOP: Preparation is an essential card in almost any Rogue deck. The ability to generate more Mana for yourself is an irreplaceable effect for swinging the tempo of a game in your favour.
- Vilespine Slayer - Priority = TOP: Vilespine Slayer is an extremely powerful card that creates huge shifts in tempo and can is an excellent choice for almost any Rogue deck as a result.
- Fal'dorei Strider - Priority = HIGH: Fal'dorei Strider is a card that offers huge value, offering a total of 16/16 stats for 4 Mana if all ambushes are drawn. As Rogue decks naturally use a lot of card draw, it is easy to fully extract this value, which makes Fal'dorei Strider a great card for almost any Rogue deck.
- Edwin VanCleef - Priority = HIGH: Edwin VanCleef is a strong card in Rogue. Due to the amount of low cost cards like Backstab and Preparation in the deck, you are usually able to create a very large minion for 3 Mana.
- The Caverns Below - Priority = LOW: The Caverns Below is a powerful card that is essential for Rogue Quest decks. However, outside of these decks the card sees no play.
- Sonya Shadowdancer - Priority = LOW: Sonya Shadowdancer provides a way to recycle powerful Battlecry and Combo effects, which are abundant in Rogue decks. Additionally, the card is key for Quest Rogue decks, providing an easy way to duplicate cards for The Caverns Below Quest.
2. Neutral Cards
In this section, we list neutral cards that are always good to craft if you are playing Rogue. Note that many of these cards will be usable in a wide range of decks across multiple classes. This means that crafting these cards over class specific ones is often a good idea if you plan to play a range of classes.
- Hench-Clan Thug - Priority = TOP: Hench-Clan Thug has excellent synergy with the Rogue Hero Power. It adds an immense amount of power and control to the board and is an excellent fit for any Rogue deck.
- Southsea Deckhand - Priority = LOW: Southsea Deckhand is used as a finisher in Rogue in combination with Cold Blood.
- Gadgetzan Auctioneer - Priority = HIGH: Gadgetzan Auctioneer has great synergy with Preparation and other cheap Spells available to Rogues and can draw through a large portion of the deck in a single turn.
- Questing Adventurer - Priority = LOW: Questing Adventurer is a great choice for Miracle Rogue decks due to the number of cheap spells available. When combined with Conceal, Questing Adventurer is able to safely gain a huge boost in stats over two turns.
- Violet Teacher - Priority = LOW: Violet Teacher is an extremely high value minion for a Rogue deck. When combined with the low cost removal spells like Backstab in Rogue decks, it can generate large board states for you out of nowhere.
There are currently no neutral Epics that are played in common Rogue decks.
- Bloodmage Thalnos - Priority = MEDIUM: Bloodmage Thalnos is a very strong card in Rogue. It functions similarly to Azure Drake in that it helps to cycle through your deck, while providing a boost for your numerous removal spells. However, it is kept out of TOP priority since it can be replaced to reasonable effect by Kobold Geomancer, and does not have a great deal of utility in other classes.
- Baku the Mooneater - Priority = LOW: Baku the Mooneater is an essential card used across Odd archetypes for multiple classes. This card is a high crafting priority if you wish to play Odd Rogue.
- Prince Keleseth - Priority = LOW: Prince Keleseth is a very popular card in Tempo Rogue decks. It offers huge value if it can be played multiple times early in a game using Shadowstep.
3. Gold Allocation Guide
3.1. Pack Type
The Journey to Un'Goro expansion added many powerful cards for Rogues. The Caverns Below is an essential card for the Quest Rogue deck, while Vilespine Slayer, Razorpetal Lasher, and Sherazin, Corpse Flower are all excellent choices for Miracle Rogue decks.
Knights of the Frozen Throne added Prince Keleseth, Cobalt Scalebane, Bonemare which are all excellent cards for the Tempo Rogue archetype. However, the expansion offers very little for other Rogue archetypes.
The Kobolds and Catacombs expansion introduced Fal'dorei Strider and Elven Minstrel, which are widely used in many Rogue decks. Sonya Shadowdancer also sees occasional play in niche decks that take advantage of the powerful passive effect.
The Witchwood expansion provided the extremely potent Hench-Clan Thug, which is used in almost Rogue decks. Rogue is also one of the few classes that makes use of both Odd and Even decks with Baku the Mooneater and Genn Greymane, making the expansion fairly reasonable for Rogues overall.
Overall, the expansions are quite underwhelming for Rogues and all of the key cards are found in the classic set. You should focus purely on classic packs to maximise your chances to of obtaining key Rogue cards such as Preparation, SI:7 Agent, Eviscerate, and Gadgetzan Auctioneer.
- 31 May 2018: Updated for the Witchwood expansion.
- 06 Jan. 2018: Updated for the Kobolds and Catacombs expansion.
- 02 May 2017: Updated for the Journey to Un'Goro expansion.
- 21 Feb. 2017: Updated to reflect the changes in MSG meta.
- 02 Sep. 2015: Updated to include Blackrock Mountain and The Grand Tournament cards.
- 21 Feb. 2015: Complete overhaul in format, and update for the Goblins vs. Gnomes meta.
- 13 Sep. 2014: Fixed a minor issue where Azure Drake was being incorrectly listed as a Rogue-specific card.
- Aggro Unite the Murlocs Quest Shaman Standard
- Deathrattle Rogue
- Spell Damage Mage
- Even Rogue
- Control Warlock
- Whizbang the Wonderful
- Warlock Dungeon Run
- Pull of the Day