Shaman Crafting Guide
Table of Contents
- +1. Class-Specific Cards
- +2. Neutral Cards
- +3. Gold Allocation Guide
- 4. ChangeLog
On this page, you will find a list of the most useful Common, Rare, Epic, and Legendary cards for the Shaman class, in terms of crafting. We separate cards by their rarity; Common, Rare, Epic and Legendary, but each individual card is given a rating of priority. It is important to know that a Rare or Epic card that is given a "High" or "Top" priority rating should be crafted before a Legendary with a "Medium" rating. In fact, if you have 1,600 Arcane Dust to spend, crafting 2 or 3 Epics and a handful of Rares is usually better than spending it all on a single Legendary. If a card is not mentioned, you can safely assume that it is rarely, or never, used in the Constructed meta.
You will also find a guide on how to best allocate your gold or money between the various Card packs and Adventures. This can vary greatly from class to class and has a great effect on how quickly and efficiently you can build a competitive deck.
1. Class-Specific Cards
In this section, we list the class-specific cards that are important for you as a Shaman.
- Lightning Bolt - Priority = MEDIUM: Lightning Bolt serves as a cheap removal spell and doubles up as a burst finisher for many Shaman decks.
- Lightning Storm - Priority = MEDIUM: Lightning Storm is your key AoE tool for catching up on the board when you fall behind. However, now Shaman is more capable of playing a proactive strategy where they try to dominate the board, so having two Lightning Storms in your deck is less essential.
- Feral Spirit - Priority = LOW: Feral Spirit used to be a must-include card in Shaman, but since the introduction of more 3-Mana options in the two expansions, it has become less essential.
- Primalfin Totem - Priority = LOW: Primalfin Totem is a great way to populate the board and offers increasing value the longer it survives. It is a good tool for faster Shaman decks that can take advantage of additional minions with cards like Bloodlust and Flametongue Totem.
- Volcano - Priority = LOW: Volcano is a solid defensive card for Control Shaman decks after Elemental Destruction left the Standard format.
There are no Shaman Epics used in commonly played Shaman decks.
- Hagatha the Witch - Priority = MEDIUM: Hagatha is a high-value Legendary providing a mix of board control and value. It can be used as a win condition in slower decks due to the huge value it can offer over time.
- Shudderwock - Priority = MEDIUM: Shudderwock is a key card for certain Shaman decks that aim use it as a finisher after several key Battlecry effects have been used prior. However, it is not used often outside of decks built around the card.
- Al'Akir the Windlord - Priority = LOW: Al'Akir is a flexible card used in many Shaman decks. It is commonly used as a finisher due to having the Charge and Windfury effects and its wide range of attributes make it a great activator for Corpsetaker .
2. Neutral Cards
In this section, we list neutral cards that are always good to craft if you are playing Shaman. Note that many of these cards will be usable in a wide range of decks across multiple classes. This means that crafting these cards over class specific ones is often a good idea if you plan to play a range of classes.
There are currently no neutral Commons that are played in common Shaman decks.
- Saronite Chain Gang - Priority = HIGH: Saronite Chain Gang is a key card for decks using Shudderwock, while providing multiple bodies to synergise with Flametongue Totem for other Shaman decks.
Sea Giant - Priority = LOW: Sea Giant has great synergy with Shaman's ability to flood the board. It is a solid addition to Shaman decks, but often a stylistic choice.
- Bloodmage Thalnos - Priority = LOW: Bloodmage Thalnos is a very strong card in Shaman. It functions similarly to Azure Drake, in that it helps to cycle through your deck, while providing a boost for your numerous removal spells. However, it is kept out of TOP priority since it can be replaced to reasonable effect by Kobold Geomancer, and does not have a great deal of utility in other classes.
- Genn Greymane - Priority = LOW: Genn Greymane is an essential card used across Even archetypes for multiple classes. This card is a high crafting priority if you wish to play Even Shaman.
3. Gold Allocation Guide
3.1. Pack Type
The Journey to Un'Goro expansion added many powerful Elemental synergy cards which are crucial for the Elemental Shaman archetype. The expansion also adds a few utility cards such as Volcano and Hot Spring Guardian to aid Control Shaman decks.
Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion introduced the very powerful Thrall, Deathseer, an essential card for the Evolve Shaman archetype. However, the expansion provided very little else for Shaman players.
Kobolds and Catacombs provided a few useful cards for Shaman players, such as Corridor Creeper for Evolve Shaman and Crushing Hand and Healing Rain for Control Shaman decks. However, the expansion was very poor for Shaman overall.
The Witchwood expansion was fairly generous towards the Shaman class. It provided many powerful Legendaries such as Shudderwock, Hagatha the Witch, and Genn Greymane. However, it provided very little non-Legendary minions. As a result, it is better to craft these cards with dust and use your gold on other expansions instead.
- 31 May 2018: Updated for the Witchwood expansion.
- 10 Jan. 2018: Updated for the Kobolds and Catacombs expansion.
- 04 May 2017: Updated for the Journey to Un'Goro expansion.
- 21 Feb. 2017: Updated to reflect the changes in MSG meta.
- 02 Sep. 2015: Updated to include Blackrock Mountain and The Grand Tournament cards.
- 21 Feb. 2015: Complete overhaul in format, and update for the Goblins vs. Gnomes meta.
- 08 Sep. 2014: Removed Tinkmaster Overspark.
- Hearthstone Tavern Talk: Class Rewards, New Player Experience, Card Reprints
- Choose Your 2018 Hearthstone Summer Champion
- Tavern Brawl: Shadow Reflection
- Blizzard Dance & Cosplay Contest at Gamescom 2018
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #18
- Tavern Brawl: Rise of the Zombeasts
- Taverns of Time Event Is Live
- Free Pack Day: Jun 13 + Animated Short
- Time-Tinker Monster Hunter
- Odd Rogue
- Tracker Monster Hunter
- Dungeon Run Guides for K&C
- Face (Aggro) Hunter Deck List
- Can you see it?
- Shaman Dungeon Run
- June 30th $10 Prize pool KO tournament