Control Priest Deck List Guide - Ashes of Outland April 2020
This guide contains detailed strategy, mulligan, and deck-building information to help you improve your Control Priest play for the Ashes of Outland meta.
Control Priest is a deck that has existed throughout Hearthstone's history. It uses efficient spells to keep the board under control to generate card advantage over opponents. The deck is renowned for playing long and drawn-out games due to Priest's unique ability to acquire copies of cards from the opponent's deck, which is excellent when games often come down to fatigue damage.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Control Priest Deck Lists
Control Priest Mulligan Guide
Control Priest is a value deck that aims to remove every threat played by opponents to win long drawn-out games. As Control Priest's removal only targets specific minions, you should look for early card draw in your mulligan to maximise your options available each turn.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Psychic Conjurer, Disciple of Galakrond, Reliquary of Souls
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Holy Smite, Penance, Wild Pyromancer.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Thoughtsteal, Galakrond, the Unspeakable.
Control Priest Strategy
During the early game, you will have very few decisions to make regarding what cards to play. The primary options you will have available are Disciple of Galakrond and Psychic Conjurer; as both of these cards offer strong additional effects, throwing them down early will slow down your opponent and minimise the pressure they can put on you.
If you are playing against Aggro, having powerful AoE cards like Wild Pyromancer and Shadow Word: Ruin will have a large influence on how you play. Both cards are highly situational and rely on other cards. Wild Pyromancer can be used with cheap cards like Holy Smite and Thoughtsteal to deal with small threats. Conversely, Shadow Word: Ruin is excellent at dealing with large threats and as you run no strong early-game minions of your own, it is unlikely to result in any collateral damage.
When you reach the mid game, you can begin to start putting some pressure back onto the board. Shield of Galakrond, Mindflayer Kaahrj, in addition to any minions you can steal from your opponent are great at contesting the board, both at trading with enemy minions and dealing light damage when supported by removal spells.
For large threats, Shadow Word: Death is a cheap answer to most targets and the reasonable Mana cost of the cards will allow you to gain a tempo advantage in the process. Alternatively, or against multiple threats you may also opt to use Shadow Word: Ruin at a higher cost.
When it comes to winning the game, the combination of removal followed up by pressure from midrange minions is often enough to win the game. However, against other Control decks where games go very long, you should use Archivist Elysiana when you run out of cards. This will allow you to continue onward for another 10 turns before you reach fatigue damage.
Control Priest Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 1x Shadow Word: Pain for 1x Shadow Word: Death
- Against Control — Add 1x Murozond the Infinite for 1x Penance.
- 07 Apr. 2020: Deck has been updated for the Ashes of Outland exansion. Removed 2x Omega Medic, 1x Zilliax, 2x Mass Hysteria for 1x Plague of Death, 1x Reliquary of Souls, 1x Renew, 1x Soul Mirror, 1x Natalie Seline.
- 26 Mar. 2020: Deck has been updated for the Ashes of Outlands prepatch. Removed 2x Northshire Cleric, 2x Power Word: Shield, 2x Auchenai Soulpriest, 2x Injured Blademaster, 2x Circle of Healing for 2x Thoughtsteal, 2x Holy Smite, 2x Shadow Word: Ruin, 2x Psychic Conjurer, 2x Omega Medic.
- 10 Dec. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Descent of Dragons expansion. Removed 2x Hench-Clan Shadequill, 2x Lightbomb, 2x Sandhoof Waterbearer, 2x Convincing Infiltrator for 2x Disciple of Galakrond, 1x Mindflayer Kaahrj, 2x Time Rip, 2x Shield of Galakrond, 1x Galakrond the Unspeakable.
- 09 Oct. 2019: Deck updated for Doom in the Tomb patch. Removed 1x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Cabal Shadow Priest for 2x Lightbomb.
- 02 Sep. 2019: Guide reviewed for September play season.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. Removed 2x Lazul's Scheme, 2x Forbidden Words, 1x Cabal Shadow Priest for 2x Penance, 2x Sandhook Waterbearer, 1x Plague of Death
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June play season.
- 01 May 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the May play season.
- 09 Apr. 2019: Deck has been completely overhauled for the Rise of Shadows expansion.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the March play season.
- 07 Feb. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the February balance patch.
- 01 Jan. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the January play season.
- 04 Dec. 2018: Deck updated for the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion. Removed 1x Cabal Shadow Priest, 1x Shadow Word: Death, 1x Twilight Acolyte for 1x Crowd Roaster, 2x Firetree Witchdoctor.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the September play season.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Guide updated for The Boomsday Project expansion.
- 01 Jul. 2018: Guide has been reviewed for the July play season.
- 12 Jun. 2018: Control Mage added to similar decks
- 09 Jun. 2018: Deck added.
- World First Diablo 2 + LoD Speed Run in Under 1 Hour
- Diablo 2 Remaster? A "Classic Revival" to Be Announced at IGN Summer
- BlizzCon 2020 Cancelled, New Plans Being Worked On
- Hearthstone 17.2.2 Client Patch Now Live
- Hearthstone Balance Patch: Buffs & Nerfs Coming on Monday
- Activision Blizzard Q1 2020 Earnings Call: Shadowlands Still Planned for 2020
- Duplicate Cards in Season Rewards Chest
- Virtual Take Your Child to Work Day at Blizzard
- Return of the Mechazod Brawl
- Dalaran Heist help please
- Tombs of Terror Sir Finley
- Tombs of Terror Brann Bronzebeard
- Battlegrounds Hero Tier List
- Highlander Hunter - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Zeh's Rank 1 Legend
- Quest Warrior - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Kibler's
- Aggro Egg Warrior - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Zeeland's