Control Priest Deck List Guide - Saviors of Uldum October 2019
This guide contains detailed strategy, mulligan, and deck-building information to help you improve your Control Priest play for the Saviors of Uldum meta.
Control Priest is a deck that has existed throughout Hearthstone's history. It uses efficient spells to keep the board under control to generate card advantage over opponents. The deck is renowned for playing long and drawn-out games due to Priest's unique ability to acquire copies of cards from the opponent's deck, which is excellent when games often come down to fatigue damage.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Control Priest Mulligan Guide
Control Priest is a value deck that aims to remove every threat played by opponents to win long drawn-out games. As Control Priest's removal only targets specific minions, you should look for early card draw in your mulligan to maximise your options available each turn.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Northshire Cleric, Injured Blademaster, Power Word: Shield, Circle of Healing.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Auchenai Soulpriest, Wild Pyromancer.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Madame Lazul.
Control Priest Strategy
During the early game, you will have very few decisions to make regarding what cards to play. The primary options you will have available are Northshire Cleric and Power Word: Shield, and in most cases, you will not want to play these cards early. Playing a Northshire Cleric on Turn 1 will often lead to it being removed. Instead, you should save it for a later turn where it can be used immediately to draw cards. The exception to this rule is if you are playing against a deck that plays many 1-Health minions. Similarly, you should also avoid playing Wild Pyromancer due to the value it can offer later in the game.
If you are playing against Aggro, having powerful AoE cards like Wild Pyromancer and Auchenai Soulpriest will have a large influence on how you play. Both cards are highly situational and rely on other cards. Wild Pyromancer can be used with cheap cards like Power Word: Shield and Lazul's Scheme to deal with small threats. However, it can also be used with Northshire Cleric to draw large numbers of cards, so it is often worth holding onto it. Auchenai Soulpriest is heavily dependent on using Circle of Healing for a huge board clear. Due to the strength of the AoE, it can be worth holding on to against smaller threats, but is excellent against medium-sized minions.
When you reach the mid game, you can begin to start putting some pressure back onto the board. Injured Blademaster, Hench-Clan Shadequill, and Convincing Infiltrator are all excellent at doing so. The high Health of these minions make them all great targets for trading and even healing with Circle of Healing, and are awkward for opponents to remove.
For large threats, Shadow Word: Death is a cheap answer to most targets and the reasonable Mana cost of the cards will allow you to gain a tempo advantage in the process. Alternatively, or against multiple threats you may also opt to use Lightbomb at a higher cost.
When it comes to winning the game, the combination of removal followed up by pressure from midrange minions is often enough to win the game. However, against other Control decks where games go very long, you should use Archivist Elysiana when you run out of cards. This will allow you to continue onward for another 10 turns before you reach fatigue damage.
Control Priest Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 1x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Regenerate for 2x Shadow Word: Death
- Against Control — Add 1x Ragnaros the Firelord for 1x Penance.
- 09 Oct. 2019: Deck updated for Doom in the Tomb patch. Removed 1x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Cabal Shadow Priest for 2x Lightbomb.
- 02 Sep. 2019: Guide reviewed for September play season.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. Removed 2x Lazul's Scheme, 2x Forbidden Words, 1x Cabal Shadow Priest for 2x Penance, 2x Sandhook Waterbearer, 1x Plague of Death
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June play season.
- 01 May 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the May play season.
- 09 Apr. 2019: Deck has been completely overhauled for the Rise of Shadows expansion.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the March play season.
- 07 Feb. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the February balance patch.
- 01 Jan. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the January play season.
- 04 Dec. 2018: Deck updated for the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion. Removed 1x Cabal Shadow Priest, 1x Shadow Word: Death, 1x Twilight Acolyte for 1x Crowd Roaster, 2x Firetree Witchdoctor.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the September play season.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Guide updated for The Boomsday Project expansion.
- 01 Jul. 2018: Guide has been reviewed for the July play season.
- 12 Jun. 2018: Control Mage added to similar decks
- 09 Jun. 2018: Deck added.
- Doom in the Tomb Coming on October 8th
- Gamespot Interview with J. Allen Brack
- What's Coming to Hearthstone: New Events, Wild Cards to Standard and More
- Tombs of Terror Chapter 3 Available September 24th
- Small Client Update 15.2.2
- Tombs of Terror Chapters 1 & 2 Now Available
- Changes for Masters Qualifiers, Ladder, and More
- Hearthstone 1.15 Update: Tombs of Terror
- Quest Druid
- Tombs of Terror Elise Starseeker
- Tombs of Terror Brann Bronzebeard
- The Rate/Improve my deck thread.
- Tombs of Terror Reno Jackson
- Winter Chill
- Fatigue Mage Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Charon's Top 100 Legend
- Budget Quest Rogue Deck - Uldum August 2019