Control Priest Deck List Guide - Descent of Dragons December 2019
This guide contains detailed strategy, mulligan, and deck-building information to help you improve your Control Priest play for the Descent of Dragons meta.
Control Priest is a deck that has existed throughout Hearthstone's history. It uses efficient spells to keep the board under control to generate card advantage over opponents. The deck is renowned for playing long and drawn-out games due to Priest's unique ability to acquire copies of cards from the opponent's deck, which is excellent when games often come down to fatigue damage.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Control Priest Mulligan Guide
Control Priest is a value deck that aims to remove every threat played by opponents to win long drawn-out games. As Control Priest's removal only targets specific minions, you should look for early card draw in your mulligan to maximise your options available each turn.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Northshire Cleric, Disciple of Galakrond Injured Blademaster, Power Word: Shield.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Auchenai Soulpriest, Penance, Wild Pyromancer.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Galakrond, the Unspeakable.
Control Priest Strategy
During the early game, you will have very few decisions to make regarding what cards to play. The primary options you will have available are Northshire Cleric and Power Word: Shield, and in most cases, you will not want to play these cards early. Playing a Northshire Cleric on Turn 1 will often lead to it being removed. Instead, you should save it for a later turn where it can be used immediately to draw cards. The exception to this rule is if you are playing against a deck that plays many 1-Health minions. Similarly, you should also avoid playing Wild Pyromancer due to the value it can offer later in the game.
If you are playing against Aggro, having powerful AoE cards like Wild Pyromancer and Auchenai Soulpriest will have a large influence on how you play. Both cards are highly situational and rely on other cards. Wild Pyromancer can be used with cheap cards like Power Word: Shield and Lazul's Scheme to deal with small threats. However, it can also be used with Northshire Cleric to draw large numbers of cards, so it is often worth holding onto it. Auchenai Soulpriest is heavily dependent on using Circle of Healing for a huge board clear. Due to the strength of the AoE, it can be worth holding on to against smaller threats, but is excellent against medium-sized minions.
When you reach the mid game, you can begin to start putting some pressure back onto the board. Injured Blademaster and Shield of Galakrond are both excellent at doing so. The high Health of these minions make them all great targets for trading and even healing with Circle of Healing, and are awkward for opponents to remove.
For large threats, Shadow Word: Death is a cheap answer to most targets and the reasonable Mana cost of the cards will allow you to gain a tempo advantage in the process. Alternatively, or against multiple threats you may also opt to use Mass Hysteria at a higher cost.
When it comes to winning the game, the combination of removal followed up by pressure from midrange minions is often enough to win the game. However, against other Control decks where games go very long, you should use Archivist Elysiana when you run out of cards. This will allow you to continue onward for another 10 turns before you reach fatigue damage.
Control Priest Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 1x Shadow Word: Pain, 1x Madame Lazul for 2x Shadow Word: Death
- Against Control — Add 1x Murozond the Infinite for 1x Penance.
- 10 Dec. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Descent of Dragons expansion. Removed 2x Hench-Clan Shadequill, 2x Lightbomb, 2x Sandhoof Waterbearer, 2x Convincing Infiltrator for 2x Disciple of Galakrond, 1x Mindflayer Kaahrj, 2x Time Rip, 2x Shield of Galakrond, 1x Galakrond the Unspeakable.
- 09 Oct. 2019: Deck updated for Doom in the Tomb patch. Removed 1x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Cabal Shadow Priest for 2x Lightbomb.
- 02 Sep. 2019: Guide reviewed for September play season.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. Removed 2x Lazul's Scheme, 2x Forbidden Words, 1x Cabal Shadow Priest for 2x Penance, 2x Sandhook Waterbearer, 1x Plague of Death
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June play season.
- 01 May 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the May play season.
- 09 Apr. 2019: Deck has been completely overhauled for the Rise of Shadows expansion.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the March play season.
- 07 Feb. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the February balance patch.
- 01 Jan. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the January play season.
- 04 Dec. 2018: Deck updated for the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion. Removed 1x Cabal Shadow Priest, 1x Shadow Word: Death, 1x Twilight Acolyte for 1x Crowd Roaster, 2x Firetree Witchdoctor.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the September play season.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Guide updated for The Boomsday Project expansion.
- 01 Jul. 2018: Guide has been reviewed for the July play season.
- 12 Jun. 2018: Control Mage added to similar decks
- 09 Jun. 2018: Deck added.
- Diablo Animated Series to Be Rendered in Anime Style
- Hearthstone 16.2.4 Update Coming Tomorrow
- Blizzard President J. Allen Brack on Warcraft III Reforged Launch
- Activision Blizzard Q4 2019 Earnings Call: Diablo Immortal Testing in Mid-2020, WoW Sub Growth
- Hearthstone 16.2.3 Update Notes
- New Head of the Diablo Franchise Is Rod Ferguson of Gears of War
- Last Chance to Buy the 2019 Virtual Ticket
- Blizzard Offering Automated Warcraft III Reforged Refunds
- Drop down at end of season
- Dragon Hunter
- Embiggen Druid
- Aggro Dragon Hunter Deck - Galakrond's Awakening February 2020 - Pepe's Rank 5 Legend
- Highlander Hunter Deck - Galakrond's Awakening February 2020 - Misplay's Top 10 Legend
- Aggro Dragon Hunter Deck - Galakrond's Awakening February 2020 - Orange's Top 10 Legend
- Need help with "Charon's Top 200 Legend Token Druid Deck - Galakrond's Awakening January 2020"
- Chenvaala Priest Deck