Control Shaman Deck List Guide - Saviors of Uldum August 2019
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Control Shaman in the Saviors of Uldum expansion.
Control Shaman is a very slow deck that uses large amounts of removal to grind down opponents. It uses Hagatha the Witch to create a constant supply of value and Archivist Elysiana to ensure it never runs out of cards.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Control Shaman Mulligan Guide
As a Control deck, it is important to look for key removal tools in your mulligan to ensure you are able to survive until the late game where the deck thrives.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Sludge Slurper, Far Sight, Menacing Nimbus, Hagatha's Scheme.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Thunderhead, Zap!.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Hagatha the Witch.
Control Shaman Strategy
The main aim of Control Shaman is to survive until the late game until you can stabilise using Hagatha the Witch and Walking Fountain and begin putting pressure back onto your opponent. You should use minions like Sludge Slurper and Menacing Nimbus, in addition to the minions they generate, to contest the board. If your opponent begins putting pressure on you, you can freely use Hagatha's Scheme and Lightning Storm to clear wide boards or Hex to clear large threats. As you can easily out-value opponents, your aim in the late game is to simply remove every threat your opponent plays until you can run them out of resources.
Against Aggro, you should use your resources liberally to ensure you do not take too much damage as Control Shaman has minimal healing available until turn 8. Thunderhead in combination with Overload effects like Zap! and Lightning Bolt is an excellent combo that can be used to clean up boards in the mid-game and develop a light board presence in the process. If you are able to survive until turn 8, you should be able to comfortably heal up and control the board for the remainder of the game.
Against Control, you should be prepared to play very long games, potentially reaching the turn limit. Playing Hagatha the Witch as soon as possible will allow you to get your value-engine running so that you can use resources liberally to pressure your opponent. Due to the length of the games, it is important to save Archivist Elysiana until you reach the bottom of your deck to prevent fatigue damage. If you make it through your additional 10-card deck, Shudderwock can then be used to trigger Archivist Elysiana's Battlecry one more time, for a final, random, 10-card deck to play out the final turns.
Control Shaman Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 2x Ancestral Healing, 2x Wild Pyromancer for 1x Swampqueen Hagatha, 1x Shudderwock, 1x Acidic Swamp Ooze, 1x Menacing Nimbus.
- Against Control — Add 1x Cairne Bloodhoof for 1x Zap!.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. Removed 2x Acidic Swamp Ooze, 2x Menacing Nimbus, 1x Haunting Visions for 1x King Phaoris, 1x Earthquake, 2x Sandstorm Elemental, 1x Siamat.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June balance patch.
- 07 May 2019: Deck added.
- Meta Report: Saviors of Uldum Week One
- Activision Blizzard Q2 2019 Earnings Call
- We've Upgraded Our Hearthstone Section!
- Saviors of Uldum Day 3: the Best Decks So Far
- Tavern Brawl: The Standard Brawliseum
- We Built a Quest Deck for Every Class in Saviors of Uldum
- Saviors of Uldum is Live Worldwide
- Every New Card from the Saviors of Uldum Reveal Stream
- Taunt Warrior Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Dono's Top 50 Legend
- Token Quest Shaman Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Integer's Top 50 Legend
- Highlander Zoo Warlock Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Robot Wizard's Top 50 Legend
- Highlander Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Meati's Top 10 Legend
- Combo Priest Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Rolle's Top 20 Legend
- Tempo Rogue Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Tortosh's Top 50 Legend
- Reno Mage Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Apxvoid's Rank 1 Legend
- Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Shuzo's Top 50 Legend