Control Shaman Deck List Guide - Ashes of Outland April 2020
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Control Shaman in the Ashes of Outland expansion.
Control Shaman is a very slow deck that uses large amounts of removal to grind down opponents. It uses high cost minions to populate its board and Archivist Elysiana to ensure it never runs out of cards.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Control Shaman Mulligan Guide
As a Control deck, it is important to look for key removal tools in your mulligan to ensure you are able to survive until the late game where the deck thrives.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Sludge Slurper, Far Sight, Lady Vashj, Hagatha's Scheme.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Lightning Storm.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — King Phaoris.
Control Shaman Strategy
The main aim of Control Shaman is to survive until the late game until you can stabilise using Walking Fountain and begin putting pressure back onto your opponent. You should use minions like Sludge Slurper and Lady Vashj, in addition to the minions they generate, to contest the board. If your opponent begins putting pressure on you, you can freely use Hagatha's Scheme and Lightning Storm to clear wide boards or Hex to clear large threats. As you can easily out-value opponents, your aim in the late game is to simply remove every threat your opponent plays until you can run them out of resources.
Against Aggro, you should use your resources liberally to ensure you do not take too much damage as Control Shaman has minimal healing available until turn 8. The abundance of board clears in your deck means you can freely use cards like Lightning Storm on a small number of minions, knowing that you have Hagatha's Scheme and Earthquake as strong follow-ups. If you are able to survive until turn 8, you should be able to comfortably heal up using Walking Fountain and control the board for the remainder of the game.
Against Control, you should be prepared to play very long games, potentially reaching the turn limit. You should minimise your use of card draw, only using Mana Tide Totem if you expect your opponent to immediately remove it, or you are desperate for a specific card in your deck. Due to the length of the games, it is important to save Archivist Elysiana until you reach the bottom of your deck to prevent fatigue damage as it is your main advantage in long games.
Control Shaman Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 2x Ancestral Healing, 2x Wild Pyromancer for 1x Swampqueen Hagatha, 1x Eye of the Storm, 1x King Phaoris, 1x Earthquake.
- Against Control — Add 1x Eye of the Storm for 1x Mana Tide Totem.
- 07 Apr. 2020: Deck has been updated for the Ashes of Outland expansion. Removed 2x Thunderhead, 2x Zap!, 1x Zilliax, 1x Hagatha the Witch, 1x Shudderwock, 1x Haunting Visions for 1x Earthquake, 1x Eye of the Storm, 1x Lady Vashj, 2x Marshspawn, 2x Mana Tide Totem, 1x Bandersmosh
- 10 Dec. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the Descent of Dragons expansion.
- 02 Sep. 2019: Guide reviewed for September play season.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. Removed 2x Acidic Swamp Ooze, 2x Menacing Nimbus, 1x Haunting Visions for 1x King Phaoris, 1x Earthquake, 2x Sandstorm Elemental, 1x Siamat.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June balance patch.
- 07 May 2019: Deck added.
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Merry Christmas from the Icy Veins Team!
- Blizzard Sending Out New Surveys About "Classic" Version of The Burning Crusade
- Activision Blizzard's Stock Reached All-Time Highs
- Cyberpunk 2077 Wiki from IcyWiki
- A Call to Strike on Blizzard France Employees on Shadowlands Launch Day
- Blizzard Selling Face Masks on Gear Store
- The Blizzard Gear Fest Has Begun!