Control Shaman Deck List Guide (Rise of Shadows July 2019)
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Control Shaman in the Rise of Shadows expansion.
Control Shaman is a very slow deck that uses large amounts of removal to grind down opponents. It uses Hagatha the Witch to create a constant supply of value and Archivist Elysiana to ensure it never runs out of cards.
1. Control Shaman Card List
This Control Shaman deck costs 11,720 and it is made up of the following cards.
|Shaman Cards||Neutral Cards|
2. Control Shaman Mana Curve
3. Control Shaman Mulligan Guide
As a Control deck, it is important to look for key removal tools in your mulligan to ensure you are able to survive until the late game where the deck thrives.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Sludge Slurper, Far Sight, Menacing Nimbus, Hagatha's Scheme.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Thunderhead, Zap!.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Hagatha the Witch.
4. Control Shaman Strategy
The main aim of Control Shaman is to survive until the late game until you can stabilise using Hagatha the Witch and Walking Fountain and begin putting pressure back onto your opponent. You should use minions like Sludge Slurper and Menacing Nimbus, in addition to the minions they generate, to contest the board. If your opponent begins putting pressure on you, you can freely use Hagatha's Scheme and Lightning Storm to clear wide boards or Hex to clear large threats. As you can easily out-value opponents, your aim in the late game is to simply remove every threat your opponent plays until you can run them out of resources.
Against Aggro, you should use your resources liberally to ensure you do not take too much damage as Control Shaman has minimal healing available until turn 8. Thunderhead in combination with Overload effects like Zap! and Lightning Bolt is an excellent combo that can be used to clean up boards in the mid-game and develop a light board presence in the process. If you are able to survive until turn 8, you should be able to comfortably heal up and control the board for the remainder of the game.
Against Control, you should be prepared to play very long games, potentially reaching the turn limit. Playing Hagatha the Witch as soon as possible will allow you to get your value-engine running so that you can use resources liberally to pressure your opponent. Due to the length of the games, it is important to save Archivist Elysiana until you reach the bottom of your deck to prevent fatigue damage. If you make it through your additional 10-card deck, Shudderwock can then be used to trigger Archivist Elysiana's Battlecry one more time, for a final, random, 10-card deck to play out the final turns.
5. Control Shaman Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 2x Ancestral Healing, 2x Wild Pyromancer for 1x Swampqueen Hagatha, 1x Shudderwock, 1x Acidic Swamp Ooze, 1x Menacing Nimbus.
- Against Control — Add 1x Cairne Bloodhoof for 1x Zap!.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June balance patch.
- 07 May 2019: Deck added.
- Tavern Brawl - The Blackrock Crash, Part 2
- Saviors of Uldum Legendary Card Reveal: Armagedillo
- Saviors of Uldum Card Reveal Schedule Announced
- Saviors of Uldum Card Reveal: Plague of Murlocs
- Three New Saviors of Uldum Cards Revealed
- Saviors of Uldum Card Reveal: Psychopomp
- New Saviors of Uldum Card Revealed: Plague of Madness
- Hearthside Chat and Three New Cards
- Top 20 Legend Overload Murloc Shaman
- Hint24's Legend Sacrifice Zoo
- Legend Black Knight Bomb Hunter
- Nicholena's Lucentbark Druid
- Charon's Top 50 Legend Miracle Mage
- Top 10 Legend Bomb Warrior
- Zeddy's Legend Control Warrior
- Masters Qualifier-winning Murloc Shaman