Skeleton Mage Deck - Murder at Castle Nathria
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Skeleton Mage in The Murder at Castle Nathria expansion meta.
Skeleton Mage is a control deck that utilises a range of Freeze mechanics and Frost spells to slow down the game while spawning Volatile Skeletons in the process. Through the use of the Skeletons' Deathrattles and the Mage Hero Power, the deck can gradually chip away at the Health of opponents while staying relatively safe in the process.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Skeleton Mage Deck Mulligan Guide
During your mulligan you should look for key cards that will benefit you in the long term, such as those that spawn Volatile Skeletons or buff your Hero Power.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Wildfire, Nightcloak Sanctum, Cold Case.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Amplified Snowflurry, Deathborne, First Flame.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Magister Dawngrasp.
Skeleton Mage Deck Strategy
During the early game, you should look to setup cards with long-term advantages like Nightcloak Sanctum, Arcane Intellect, and Wildfire. During this time, if you feel pressured on the board, you can make use of your Hero Power and cheap cards like First Flame and Runed Orb to clear up the board.
As you enter into the mid game you should look to make use of Nightcloak Sanctum and Cold Case to populate the board with Volatile Skeletons to contest the board while using any remaining Mana to draw cards with Arcane Intellect and Multicaster. While trading off your Skeletons will greatly help control the board, you can make use of AoE effects like Fire Sale if things get out of control.
As you enter into the late game, your aims do not differ too much with that of the mid game, with the exception that you make even more powerful plays through the use of Deathborne to spawn large numbers of Volatile Skeletons and Magister Dawngrasp to grant you a scaling Hero Power. With Deathborne you should try to set up opportunities of killing 4+ minions, including your own, to generate further Skeletons. It is worth noting that if the Deathrattle of one of your Skeletons kills an enemy, that will spawn you an additional one through Deathborne.
To close out the game, many opponents can be taken down with consistent pressure from your Volatile Skeletons, compounded with burst damage from Kel'Thuzad, the Inevitable as needed. Alternatively, if your opponent is able to outsustain your Skeleton damage, you can make use of the Hero Power from Magister Dawngrasp, scaling it up to start taking chunks out of your opponent's Health. This can be further compounded through the use of Reckless Apprentice and Mordresh Fire Eye.
Against Aggro, survival is your primary aim. While generally controlling the board will often suffice, swift victories can be achieved through careful use of Deathborne around the Turn 6 Mark as the large shift in board control is very difficult for Aggro to come back from.
Against Control, you should try to get Magister Dawngrasp into play as soon as possible as the damage from your Volatile Skeletons will frequently not be enough. Once your new Hero is in play, achieving Honourable kills to scale up your Hero Power should be your highest priority, killing any minions friend or foe that fits the criteria. Once your Hero Power reaches 6-8 damage, you should be able to deal a significant amount of damage to your opponent each turn, boosted further through the use of Mordresh Fire Eye and Reckless Apprentice.
Skeleton Mage Deck Card Swaps
Against Control, Theotar, the Mad Duke can be used in place of a Runed Orb to help deny your opponents their win condition.
Against Aggro, 2x Shivering Sorceress can be used in place of 2x Runed Orb for more board tempo and the ability to play out your Deathbornes sooner.
- 07 Aug. 2022: Guide added.
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Hearthstone March of the Lich King Shaman Card Reveal Recap: November 20th
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- Hearthstone March of the Lich King Warrior Card Reveal Recap: November 19th
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players