Spell Mage Deck - Forged in the Barrens
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Spell Mage in The Forged in the Barrens expansion meta.
Spell Mage is a unique deck that completely forgos the use of minions. This allows it to use certain additional spells such asand to gain a powerful edge over opponents.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Spell Mage Deck Mulligan Guide
Spell Mage heavily relies on powerful synergies between its cards. In order to see the true benefits of these cards, it is important to aggressively mulligan for them in your opening hand.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — , , , .
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — , .
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Arcane Intellect.
Spell Mage Deck Strategy
When piloting this deck, your aim should be to focus on playingto reduce the cost of your spells as soon as possible and using to generate minions. Once these cards have been played you can swing back onto the board using reduced cost spells from your hand supported by any minion you may have. From this position you can continually control the board with your spells, especially , while using your minions to grind down your opponent's Health to win the game.
adds a unique twist to the deck. Although the card will greatly randomise how your deck is played, the sheer value the card will offer to your spells is undeniable. With this in mind, you should prioritise playing the card and then playing out the random spells to the best of your ability if you are not on a path to win the game in the near future.
Against Aggro, you should play a bit more cautiously when trying to control the board, taking additional value trades with your minions where available. However, you should still try not to prolong the game too long as the lack of healing present in your deck limits the amount of time you have before your opponent can grind down your Health, especially against Hunters and Demon Hunters.
Against Control, you should try to get some minions on the board and become the aggressor as soon as possible. You should try to pressure your opponent's Health as much as possible with your minions, allowing your opponent to do all the trading where necessary. Should the game go longer, you should try to empty your hand to get full value fromas either an additional source of burst damage or a way to refill your hand via spells like and .
Spell Mage Deck Card Swaps
- 01 Apr. 2021: Deck list has been completely overhauled for the year of the gryphon.
- 04 Dec. 2020: Deck has been updated for the Madness at the Darkmoon Faire expansion. Removed 1x Fireball, 1x The Amazing Reno for 1x Rigged Faire Game, 1x Deck of Lunacy.
- 06 Aug. 2020: Deck updated for the Scholomance Academy expansion. Removed 1x Ice Barrier, 1x Netherwind Portal, 1x Flame Ward, 1x Deep Freeze for 2x Brain Freeze, 2x Primordial Studies.
- 11 Apr. 2020: Guide added.
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Forged in the Barrens Now Live
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- Best Sets and Tier List for Classic
- Crash Bandicoot: It's About Time Available on Battle.net
- Icy Veins 10-Year Anniversary Giveaway!
- Activision Blizzard Plans to Lay Off Even More Employees