Boat Rogue Deck - Throne of the Tides
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Boat Rogue in Throne of the Tides expansion meta.
Boat Rogue is a hybrid deck that utilises a mix of Pirate Rogue cards, and combines them with an early-game Maestra of the Masquerade and Wildpaw Gnoll package to dominate the board with powerful tempo plays.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Boat Rogue Deck Mulligan Guide
As this deck utilises the Maestra of the Masquerade Rogue package, you should use your mulligan to look exclusively for discountable Wildpaw Gnolls in addition to tradeable cards.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Wildpaw Gnoll, Blackwater Cutlass, SI:7 Extortion, Reconnaissance.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — No further cards required.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — No further cards required.
Boat Rogue Deck Strategy
During the early game, you will be concealed by Maestra of the Masquerade, making any Rogue cards you draw count as cards from another class. This makes your priority to get the deck's Wildpaw Gnoll package online, which can be done by simply trading away any cards you have to in order to draw cards without removing effect. On Turn 2, you may optionally use Reconnaissance or coin out a Shroud of Concealment to reach an achieve an adequate discount for your Wildpaw Gnolls as you reveal your class to your opponent. Any Gnolls can additionally be played at this point to help secure the board.
After revealing your class to your opponent and making use of any Wildpaw Gnolls you have, you should look to stay ahead on board for the rest of the game. You can make use of cheap spells like SI:7 Extortion and Tooth of Nefarian to clear up any threats while developing your own board further by making use of Filletfighter and any minions you generate from Reconnaissance.
As you reach the mid game, you should look to further your pressure by making use of Azsharan Vessel to develop additional minions. If you have Gone Fishin' available, you can additionally use it to immediately draw your Sunken Vessel if you opponent does not have access to board clears. From this point onward, your priority should be dealing damage to your opponent directly, making full use of the Stealth minions that the boats generate.
To close out the game you should ideally look to make use of Mr. Smite for burst damage. As well as giving itself Charge, it can additionally be used with Filletfighters in addition to using Gone Fishin' to draw Sunken Vessels to give even more of your Pirates Charge. This can easily do 15 points of damage alone, which can be boosted even further through the use of Wicked Stab (Rank 1)s and Tooth of Nefarians to burst down your opponent and end the game.
Against Aggro, you should try to secure the board early, taking value trades where possible to secure the board. Wildpaw Gnolls are excellent at this and Shadowsteping them will allow you to make multiple trades in the same turn to dominate the board. To win the game, you should focus purely on tempo, ensuring your opponent is unable to develop a board rather than relying on Mr. Smite and Pirates for burst damage.
Against Control, you should expect to play a significantly longer game and should focus on a strong burst-damage combo. Edwin, Defias Kingpin will often play a key strategic role in getting enough burst damage. If Shadowstepped immediately, any cards drawn by its effect will allow you to buff the card in your hand, giving you a large 2-Mana Pirate to pair with Mr. Smite as part of your final burst.
Boat Rogue Deck Card Swaps
Blademaster Okani can be used in place of Vanessa VanCleef based on personal preference.
- 13 Jun. 2022: Deck has been updated for the Throne of the Tides miniset. Removed 2x Cutlass Courier, 2x Amalgam of the Deep, 2x Tuskarrrr Trawler, 2x Pufferfist, 2x Buccaneer, 2x Swordfish, 1x Pirate Admiral Hooktusk for 1x Mastra of the Masquerade, 2x Reconnaissance, 2x Tooth of Nefarian, 1x Vanessa VanCleef, 2x Shadowstep, 2x Shroud of Concealment, 2x Wildpaw Gnoll, 1x Shadowcrafter Scabbs.
- 13 Apr. 2022: Guide added.
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Hearthstone March of the Lich King Shaman Card Reveal Recap: November 20th
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- Hearthstone March of the Lich King Warrior Card Reveal Recap: November 19th
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players