Big Spell Mage Deck List Guide - Saviors of Uldum August 2019
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Big Spell Mage in Saviors of Uldum expansion.
Big Spell Mage is an archetype that only uses a very small amount of cheap spells and minions in favor of using a specific subset of expensive cards that synergise together to create powerful plays, starting in the mid game.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Big Spell Mage Deck Lists
Big Spell Mage Mulligan Guide
Big Spell Mage is a slow deck that does not hit its stride until at least Turn 5. To account for this, you should use your mulligan to find any cheap cards to help survive the early game.
- General Mulligan — Ancient Mysteries, Luna's Pocket Galaxy, Naga Sand Witch.
- Mulligan Against Aggro — Doomsayer, Flame Ward.
- Mulligan Against Control — Tortollan Pilgrim.
Big Spell Mage Strategy
The aim of Big Spell Mage is to survive the early game by any means necessary. After reaching Turn 5, your aim should shift to playing Luna's Pocket Galaxy to discount minions in your deck and, if you have powerful spells like Pyroblast and Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron in hand, using Naga Sand Witch to discount them.
With your card discounts active, you can begin to start taking the fight to your opponent. The inherent variance of the deck means that no two games will be the same and you should think carefully about your turns. However, as a general rule, you should try to maximise the value from Blizzard and Flamestrike to control the board, while trying to pressure your opponent with your minions. If at any point your opponent has minions in play and you do not, Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron is also a solid option. While the card may be very random, it will generally kill most minions on the board, while spawning you a couple of minions and drawing a couple of cards.
While the spell-support minions of the deck can put good pressure onto opponents, most games should come to an end when you are able to use Pyroblasts directly on your opponent, reducing their health with Alexstrasza beforehand if necessary.
Against Aggro, you should put a lot of emphasis on clearing the board, using Tortollan Pilgrim to cast additional copies of Flamestrike and Blizzard if necessary. If you are able to get into a position that you can safely develop minions, you should be able to comfortably cruise to victory against Aggro.
Against Control, you will need to maximise the value of your cards to ensure you can win through a long game. Using Tortollan Pilgrim to cast additional copies of Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron when your board is empty will greatly help with this. It is also a good idea to hold onto both copies of Pyroblast, after they have been discounted to 5 Mana, so that you can quickly burst down your control opponent before they are able to heal back up.
Big Spell Mage Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 2x Arcane Flakmage for 1x Fireball, 1x King Phaoris.
- Against Control — Add 1x Raid the Sky Temple for 1x Frost Nova.
- 08 Aug. 2019: Guide has been completely overhauled returned to Standard for the Saviors of Uldum expansion.
- 10 Apr. 2019: Deck has been moved to Wild for the Year of the Dragon.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the March play season.
- 07 Feb. 2019: Deck has been reviewed following the February balance patch.
- 01 Jan. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the January play season.
- 04 Dec. 2018: Deck has been reviewed and deemed appropriate for the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Deck updated for the September play season. Removed 2x Raven Familiar, 2x Doomsayer, 2x Tar Creeper, 2x Voodoo Doll, for 1x Prince Keleseth, 2x Stonehill Defender, 2x Saronite Chain Gang, 2x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Skulking Geist.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Guide has been reviewed for The Boomsday Project expansion and updated to the new format.
- 24 Apr. 2018: Removed 2x Lone Champion for 2x Voodoo Doll. Guide has been changed to reflect updated decklist
- 11 Apr. 2018: Deck updated for the Witchwood expansion.
- 12 Dec. 2017: Variant added.
- Meta Report: Saviors of Uldum Week One
- Activision Blizzard Q2 2019 Earnings Call
- We've Upgraded Our Hearthstone Section!
- Saviors of Uldum Day 3: the Best Decks So Far
- Tavern Brawl: The Standard Brawliseum
- We Built a Quest Deck for Every Class in Saviors of Uldum
- Saviors of Uldum is Live Worldwide
- Every New Card from the Saviors of Uldum Reveal Stream
- Taunt Warrior Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Dono's Top 50 Legend
- Token Quest Shaman Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Integer's Top 50 Legend
- Highlander Zoo Warlock Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Robot Wizard's Top 50 Legend
- Highlander Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Meati's Top 10 Legend
- Combo Priest Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Rolle's Top 20 Legend
- Tempo Rogue Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Tortosh's Top 50 Legend
- Reno Mage Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Apxvoid's Rank 1 Legend
- Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Shuzo's Top 50 Legend