Big Spell Mage Deck List Guide - Descent of Dragons December 2019
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Big Spell Mage in Descent of Dragons expansion.
Big Spell Mage is an archetype that only uses a very small amount of cheap spells and minions in favor of using a specific subset of expensive cards that synergise together to create powerful plays, starting in the mid game.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Big Spell Mage Mulligan Guide
Big Spell Mage is a slow deck that does not hit its stride until at least Turn 5. To account for this, you should use your mulligan to find any cheap cards to help survive the early game.
- General Mulligan — Ancient Mysteries, Naga Sand Witch, Azure Explorer, Dragoncaster.
- Mulligan Against Aggro — Doomsayer, Flame Ward.
- Mulligan Against Control — Tortollan Pilgrim, Luna's Pocket Galaxy.
Big Spell Mage Strategy
The aim of Big Spell Mage is to survive the early game by any means necessary. After reaching Turn 7, your aim should shift to playing Luna's Pocket Galaxy to discount minions in your deck and, if you have powerful spells like Pyroblast and Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron in hand, using Naga Sand Witch to discount them.
With your card discounts active, you can begin to start taking the fight to your opponent. The inherent variance of the deck means that no two games will be the same and you should think carefully about your turns. However, as a general rule, you should try to maximise the value from Blizzard and Flamestrike to control the board, while trying to pressure your opponent with your minions. If at any point your opponent has minions in play and you do not, Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron is also a solid option. While the card may be very random, it will generally kill most minions on the board, while spawning you a couple of minions and drawing a couple of cards.
While the spell-support minions of the deck can put good pressure onto opponents, most games should come to an end when you are able to use Pyroblast directly on your opponent, reducing their health with Alexstrasza beforehand if necessary.
Against Aggro, you should put a lot of emphasis on clearing the board, using Tortollan Pilgrim to cast additional copies of Flamestrike and Blizzard if necessary. If you are able to get into a position that you can safely develop minions, you should be able to comfortably cruise to victory against Aggro.
Against Control, you will need to maximise the value of your cards to ensure you can win through a long game. Using Tortollan Pilgrim to cast additional copies of Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron when your board is empty will greatly help with this. It is also a good idea to hold onto both copies of Pyroblast, after they have been discounted to 5 Mana, so that you can quickly burst down your control opponent before they are able to heal back up.
Big Spell Mage Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 2x Arcane Flakmage for 1x Pyroblast, 1x King Phaoris.
- Against Control — Add 1x Pyroblast for 1x Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron.
- 10 Dec. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Descent of Dragons expansion. Removed 1x Emperor Thaurissan, 2x Sunreaver Warmage, 1x Pyroblast, 1x Frost Nova for 2x Dragoncaster, 1x Malygos, Aspect of Magic, 2x Azure Explorer,
- 09 Oct. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Doom in the Tomb patch. Removed 1x Fireball for 1x Emperor Thaurissan.
- 02 Sep. 2019: Guide reviewed for September play season.
- 26 Aug. 2019: Added note regarding the August balance patch.
- 08 Aug. 2019: Guide has been completely overhauled returned to Standard for the Saviors of Uldum expansion.
- 10 Apr. 2019: Deck has been moved to Wild for the Year of the Dragon.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the March play season.
- 07 Feb. 2019: Deck has been reviewed following the February balance patch.
- 01 Jan. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the January play season.
- 04 Dec. 2018: Deck has been reviewed and deemed appropriate for the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Deck updated for the September play season. Removed 2x Raven Familiar, 2x Doomsayer, 2x Tar Creeper, 2x Voodoo Doll, for 1x Prince Keleseth, 2x Stonehill Defender, 2x Saronite Chain Gang, 2x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Skulking Geist.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Guide has been reviewed for The Boomsday Project expansion and updated to the new format.
- 24 Apr. 2018: Removed 2x Lone Champion for 2x Voodoo Doll. Guide has been changed to reflect updated decklist
- 11 Apr. 2018: Deck updated for the Witchwood expansion.
- 12 Dec. 2017: Variant added.
- Diablo 1 Playable in 4K (The Hell 2 Mod)
- All Blizzard Esports To Be Streamed Exclusively on Youtube
- Celebrating Lunar New Year in Hearthstone
- Galakrond's Awakening Solo Adventure Guides
- Hearthstone Update 16.2 Patch Notes
- Diablo 2 Upscale Final Demo Working In-Browser
- Mists of Pandaria and WC3: Reforged 8K Upscaled Cinematics
- Diablo 2 Median XL Mod Patch 1.40 Released
- Hearthstone Mage Secrets
- Pirate Warrior
- Galakrond's Awakening Hub
- Battlegrounds Hero Tier List
- Reno Jackson Priest Deck
- Reno Jackson
- Chenvaala Priest Deck