Freeze Mage Deck List Guide - Saviors of Uldum August 2019
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Freeze Mage in The Saviors of Uldum expansion.
Freeze Mage is one of Hearthstone's archetypes, infamous for its ability to stall the game and then burst down opponents purely with spells. The archetype was greatly hindered in the past with the loss of Ice Block. However, the archetype has the potential to rise again through the use of Jepetto Joybuzz to discount powerful cards like Archmage Antonidas and Malygos.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Freeze Mage Deck Lists
Freeze Mage Mulligan Guide
Freeze Mage has a good amount of card draw that allows it to consistently draw game-winning combos. However, it has no healing effects, so it is essential that you look for defensive tools in your mulligan to avoid taking critical damage.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Luna's Pocket Galaxy, Arcane Intellect.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Frost Nova, Frostbolt, Doomsayer.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Acolyte of Pain.
Freeze Mage Strategy
The gameplan for Freeze Mage is to simultaneously draw cards while slowing opponents down. The large number of Freeze effects present in the deck make it really easy to stall opponents. However, it is essential to time them correctly as missing a single Freeze in a large board can often result in losing the game. As a general rule, you should use single-target Freeze effects like Ray of Frost before resorting to larger AoE Freezes. If at any point the board becomes too big, you can also use Doomsayer with a Freeze effect or simply a Blizzard to clear the board. However, you should try to allow your opponent to continually commit to the board before using them.
When it comes to ending the game, the aim of the deck is to use Luna's Pocket Galaxy to reduce the cost of powerful minions like Alexstrasza, Malygos, and Archmage Antonidas. The cards that you draw will influence how you win the game, but using any of these cards in combination with burn spells like Fireball and Frostbolt should be enough to close out the game.
Against Aggro, your main aim is to simply run your opponent out of resources. The sheer amount of board clears and removal spells in the deck makes it relatively easy to run your opponent out of resources. When your opponent is low on resources, playing a single minion like Archmage Antonidas or Malygos will be too much for your opponent to handle and will be enough to win the game in combination with any remaining burn spells you have in your hand.
Against Control, you should try to assemble the largest possible burst damage combo you can. It can often be worth holding off on playing Jepetto Joybuzz until you have drawn both copies of Doomsayer to ensure you discount two powerful minions. If the Control deck you are against has access to healing, it is often necessary to use Archmage Antonidas to generate some additional burn damage to ensure you can close out the game.
Freeze Mage Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 1x Cone of Cold for 1x Faceless Manipulator.
- Against Control — Add 1x Pyroblast, 1x Kalecgos for 2x Doomsayer.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been moved to the fun category for the Saviors of Uldum expansion.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been updated for the June balance patch. Removed 1x Kalecgos, 1x Pyroblast, 2x Flamestrike, 2x Icicle, 2x Snap Freeze, 2x Research Project, 2x Arcane Missiles for 2x Acolyte of Pain, 2x Novice Engineer, 2x Lifedrinker, 2x Ice Barrier, 1x Luna's Pocket Galaxy, 1x Faceless Manipulator, 1x Bloodmage Thalnos, 1x Mirror Image.
- 09 Apr. 2019: Deck added.
- Meta Report: Saviors of Uldum Week One
- Activision Blizzard Q2 2019 Earnings Call
- We've Upgraded Our Hearthstone Section!
- Saviors of Uldum Day 3: the Best Decks So Far
- Tavern Brawl: The Standard Brawliseum
- We Built a Quest Deck for Every Class in Saviors of Uldum
- Saviors of Uldum is Live Worldwide
- Every New Card from the Saviors of Uldum Reveal Stream
- Taunt Warrior Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Dono's Top 50 Legend
- Token Quest Shaman Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Integer's Top 50 Legend
- Highlander Zoo Warlock Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Robot Wizard's Top 50 Legend
- Highlander Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Meati's Top 10 Legend
- Combo Priest Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Rolle's Top 20 Legend
- Tempo Rogue Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Tortosh's Top 50 Legend
- Reno Mage Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Apxvoid's Rank 1 Legend
- Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Shuzo's Top 50 Legend