Freeze Mage Deck List Guide (Rise of Shadows June 2019)
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Freeze Mage in The Rise of Shadows expansion.
Freeze Mage is one of Hearthstone's archetypes, infamous for its ability to stall the game and then burst down opponents purely with spells. The archetype was greatly hindered in the past with the loss of Ice Block. However, the archetype has the potential to rise again through the use of Jepetto Joybuzz to discount powerful cards like Archmage Antonidas and Malygos.
The June balance patch has cause a huge increase in Freeze Mage strength due to Luna's Pocket Galaxy providing easy access to the deck's powerful minions.
1. Freeze Mage Card List
This Freeze Mage deck costs 11,440 and it is made up of the following cards.
|Mage Cards||Neutral Cards|
2. Freeze Mage Mana Curve
3. Freeze Mage Mulligan Guide
Freeze Mage has a good amount of card draw that allows it to consistently draw game-winning combos. However, it has no healing effects, so it is essential that you look for defensive tools in your mulligan to avoid taking critical damage.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Luna's Pocket Galaxy, Arcane Intellect.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Frost Nova, Frostbolt, Doomsayer.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Acolyte of Pain.
4. Freeze Mage Strategy
The gameplan for Freeze Mage is to simultaneously draw cards while slowing opponents down. The large number of Freeze effects present in the deck make it really easy to stall opponents. However, it is essential to time them correctly as missing a single Freeze in a large board can often result in losing the game. As a general rule, you should use single-target Freeze effects like Ray of Frost before resorting to larger AoE Freezes. If at any point the board becomes too big, you can also use Doomsayer with a Freeze effect or simply a Blizzard to clear the board. However, you should try to allow your opponent to continually commit to the board before using them.
When it comes to ending the game, the aim of the deck is to use Luna's Pocket Galaxy to reduce the cost of powerful minions like Alexstrasza, Malygos, and Archmage Antonidas. The cards that you draw will influence how you win the game, but using any of these cards in combination with burn spells like Fireball and Frostbolt should be enough to close out the game.
Against Aggro, your main aim is to simply run your opponent out of resources. The sheer amount of board clears and removal spells in the deck makes it relatively easy to run your opponent out of resources. When your opponent is low on resources, playing a single minion like Archmage Antonidas or Malygos will be too much for your opponent to handle and will be enough to win the game in combination with any remaining burn spells you have in your hand.
Against Control, you should try to assemble the largest possible burst damage combo you can. It can often be worth holding off on playing Jepetto Joybuzz until you have drawn both copies of Doomsayer to ensure you discount two powerful minions. If the Control deck you are against has access to healing, it is often necessary to use Archmage Antonidas to generate some additional burn damage to ensure you can close out the game.
5. Freeze Mage Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 1x Cone of Cold for 1x Faceless Manipulator.
- Against Control — Add 1x Pyroblast, 1x Kalecgos for 2x Doomsayer.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been updated for the June balance patch. Removed 1x Kalecgos, 1x Pyroblast, 2x Flamestrike, 2x Icicle, 2x Snap Freeze, 2x Research Project, 2x Arcane Missiles for 2x Acolyte of Pain, 2x Novice Engineer, 2x Lifedrinker, 2x Ice Barrier, 1x Luna's Pocket Galaxy, 1x Faceless Manipulator, 1x Bloodmage Thalnos, 1x Mirror Image.
- 09 Apr. 2019: Deck added.
- Big Paladin
- Puzzle Lab's Dr. Boom's Puzzles
- Arena Warlock Tier Lists
- Dalaran Heist Druid Guide
- Budget Cyclone Mage
- Dalaran Heist Warlock Guide
- Dalaran Heist Paladin Guide
- Mage Secrets Not Working in Dalaran Heist?