Control Warlock Deck List Guide - Madness at the Darkmoon Faire November 2020
This guide contains detailed strategy, mulligan, and deck-building information to help you improve your Control Warlock play for the Madness at the Darkmoon Faire meta.
Control Warlock is a control archetype that uses the Life Tap Hero Power to maintain a continuous flow of cards. The additional card draw provides a broad range of options at all times to ensure there is no shortage of removal to eventually run opponents out of resources.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Control Warlock Mulligan Guide
Control Warlock regularly spends its early turns using Life Tap to fill its hand for optimal turns late in the game. You should mulligan with this in mind and not expect to play cards before turn 3.
- General Mulligan — Imprisoned Vilefiend, Free Admission, Spirit Jailer.
- Mulligan Against Aggro — Soul Shear, Dark Skies.
- Mulligan Against Control — Tickatus.
Control Warlock Strategy
As a Control Warlock, your aim is to shut down your opponent with removal and run them out of cards. You should try to continually draw as many cards as possible with Life Tap while staying in control of the board. Your Health total will often be a limiting factor, so you should use removal swiftly to prevent taking any unncessary damage. Getting big minions like Void Drinker and Abyssal Summoner will also go a long way with regards to controlling the board, providing huge Taunt minions to block opponents.
Throughout the game you should be constantly aware of your Corruptable cards to ensure they are readily corrupted for when they are needed. With this in mind, consider prioritising higher-Cost cards over lower-Cost ones if they achieve a similar goal on the board if you are able to Corrupt additional cards in the process.
When it comes to winning the game, you will largely rely on controlling the board until you are able to gain a large burst of tempo from Y'Shaarj, the Defiler to refil your hand with your Corrupted cards.
Against Aggro, your whole gameplan should be to survive. This means that it is especially important to take as little damage as possible. In the mid game, you can stop using Life Tap to minimise the amount of self-damage you take. You will largely win the game through Taunt minions and healing and it can therefore sometimes to be beneficial to play cards like Void Drinker and Strongman without their effect activated in order to prevent damage as soon as possible.
Against Control, your win condition relies solely around Tickatus with this in mind, you should try to Corrupt and play it as soon as possible. Later into the game, you will be able to play it again after using Y'Shaarj, the Defiler, giving yourself a 10-card advantage over your opponent for almost guaranteed victory.
Control Warlock Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 2x Circus Medic for 2x Abyssal Summoner.
- Against Control — Add 1x Expired Merchant for 1x Strongman.
- 19 Nov. 2020: Guide has been completely overhauled for the Madness at the Darkmoonfaire expansion.
- 02 Sep. 2019: Guide reviewed for September play season.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. Removed 2x Acidic Swamp Ooze, 1x Augmented Elekk, 1x Lord Jaraxxus for 2x Expired Merchant, 2x Khartut Defender.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June balance patch.
- 01 May 2019: Deck has been moved for the fun category for the May play season.
- 12 Apr. 2019: Deck has been completely overhauled for the Rise of Shadows expansion.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck has been reviewed and deemed appropriate for the March play season.
- 08 Feb. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the February balance patch
- 01 Jan. 2019: Deck has been reviewed and deemed appropriate for the January play season.
- 04 Dec. 2018: Deck updated for the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion. Removed 1x Demonic Project for 1x Void Contract.
- 26 Oct. 2018: Swapped the Giggling Inventor for Zilliax.
- 02 Sep. 2018: Swapped a Dark Pact for a Sacrificial Pact and a Possessed Lackey for a Skulking Geist.
- 09 Aug. 2018: Deck added.
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Merry Christmas from the Icy Veins Team!
- Blizzard Sending Out New Surveys About "Classic" Version of The Burning Crusade
- Activision Blizzard's Stock Reached All-Time Highs
- Cyberpunk 2077 Wiki from IcyWiki
- A Call to Strike on Blizzard France Employees on Shadowlands Launch Day
- Blizzard Selling Face Masks on Gear Store
- The Blizzard Gear Fest Has Begun!