Control Warrior Deck List Guide - Ashes of Outland April 2020
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Control Warrior in the Ashes of Outland expansion.
Control Warrior is one of Hearthstone's oldest decks and has consistently always existed in some form throughout each expansion. It aims to shut down opponents by efficiently removing any minions with weapons, Shield Slam, Execute, and Brawl, while using Armor Up! to stay healthy.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Control Warrior Mulligan Guide
Control Warrior has a broad range of tools available that can help control nearly all board states. However, it can sometimes falter if it does not have the appropriate cards available. To help deal with this, your Mulligan strategy will usually include keeping keep removal tools to begin with or card draw to try and prevent this situation from occurring.
Against against decks that are likely to play a big threat early in the game, you can also keep a copy of Shield Slam.
Against slow decks, you can also keep Armagedillo in your opening hand to benefit from its value as early as possible.
Control Warrior Strategy
Control Warrior deck offers very little to do in the early game due to being so late-game oriented. With an ideal hand, you will be looking to go Turn 1 Imprisoned Gan'arg, into Turn 2 Frightened Flunky into Turn 3 Armor Up! into Turn 4 Restless Mummy, optionally transposing the latter 2 if you have The Coin and your opponent is pressuring the board. If you have not drawn into any of the aforementioned cards, you may opt to play a Shield Block instead to try and improve your hand.
As you enter the mid game, you will be primarily looking to continue to lightly contest the board with minions like Hecklebot and Scrap Golem, while using removal tools to prevent the board from getting out of control in preparation for your late-game threats.
Playing Control Warrior is all about evaluating what the correct reaction to any given situation is. The key point that many newer players miss is that the correct reaction is often to do nothing. Instead of asking yourself what the best way to react to a board state is, ask yourself instead first and foremost whether you even need to react to the board at all. Only after the answer to that question is yes do you need to start considering which removal to use. Your life total is a resource in this deck as much as your cards are, and you can afford to do nothing if your opponent is only pushing 2-3 damage more than you can gain with your Hero Power.
Your premium removal, Shield Slam, should be mentally reserved for the biggest threats in your opponent's deck. So if you are familiar with the deck your opponent is playing and they play only 1-2 huge threats, you know that you have at least one premium removal to spare and can use it accordingly on a smaller threat.
When it comes to winning in the late game, Control Warrior has multiple paths to victory available. The multiple late-game minions in the deck can often cement your board position and close out games if you have managed to acquire board control in the mid game, while Archivist Elysiana will ensure you will never run out of cards should games go very long.
Control Warrior Card Swaps
Control Warrior is quite flexible in its card choices, especially the minions within the deck. The only requirement is that you maintain a large amount of removal and a late-game win condition.
Alternatively, you can commit further into the Taunt package by adding Into the Fray and other Taunt minions into your deck.
- 07 Apr. 2020: Deck has been updated for the Ashes of Outland expansion. Removed 2x Eternium Rover, 2x Omega Assembly, 2x Town crier, 2x Warpath, 1x SN1P-SN4P, 2x Dyn-o-matic, 1x Supercollider, 1x Zilliax, 1x Dr. Boom, Mad Genius for 2x Imprisoned Gan'arg, 2x Bladestorm, Kargath Bladefist, 2x Scrap Golem, 1x Frightened Flunky, Deathwing, Mad Aspect, 2x Hecklebot, 1x Siamat, 2x Slam
- 10 Dec. 2019: Deck has been reviewed and deemed appropriate for the Descent of Dragons expansion.
- 01 Sep. 2019: Deck list updated for the September play season. Removed 2x Weapons Project, 2x Militia Commander, 2x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Harrison Jones for 2x Frightened Flunky, 2x Tomb Warden, 1x Restless Mummy, 1x Eternium Rover, 1x Armagedillo.
- 26 Aug. 2019: Added note regarding the August balance patch.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. Removed 1x Execute, 1x Eternium Rover for 1x Town Crier, 1x Restless Mummy
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been updated for the June balance patch. Removed 2x Hecklebot for 1x Town Crier, 1x SN1P-SN4P.
- 23 May 2019: Guide updated for May balance patch.
- 01 May 2019: Updated card swap section to reference Baleful Banker and Youthful Brewmaster.
- 16 Apr. 2019: Removed 2x Wrenchcalibur, 1x Blastmaster Boom, 1x Armorsmith, 1x Supercollider, 1x Grommash Hellscream, 1x Execute for 2x Weapons Project, 2x Hecklebot, 2x Omega Devastator, 1x Harrison Jones.
- 08 Apr. 2019: Deck and guide have been completely overhauled for the Rise of Shadows expansion.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 16 Aug. 2018: Deck added.
- Blizzard on BlizzCon 2020 in Light of COVID-19
- Demon Hunter Balance Changes: April 8th
- Upcoming Ashes of Outland Balance Changes: April 8th
- 25 Years of Warcraft Anniversary Video 8K Upscale
- The Blizzard April Fools Archive and Highlights
- Ranked Mode Overhaul Matchmaking FAQ
- The Best WarCraft Meme(s) of All Time
- Hearthstone 17.0 Update Hotfix Schedule
- Handbuff Zoo Warlock - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Katrina's top 100 Legend
- Ramp Dragon Druid Deck - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Viper's Legend
- Highlander Hunter - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - NickChipper's
- Tempo Demon Hunter Deck - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Post Nerf Top 10 Legend
- Miracle Druid - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - RaFaEl's top 6 Legend
- Hybrid Demon Hunter Deck - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Gyong's Post Nerf
- Handbuff Zoo Warlock
- Control Priest Deck - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Sooyoung's Top 5 Legend