Aggro/Tempo Mage Deck List Guide - Saviors of Uldum October 2019
Tempo Mage decks have been developing for a long time in Hearthstone, and although they take a different form in each expansion, the overriding theme remains the same. The idea is to protect your early board and then finish off your opponent using spells.
Over the years Tempo Mage has had a range of minions that synergise with the deck, such as Sorcerer's Apprentice, Flamewaker, and Kabal Crystal Runner, that has caused the archetype to live on and evolve as cards come and go from the Standard format.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Aim of Aggro/Tempo Mage
The idea of this deck is to get minions onto the board early, and then protect them for long enough that they do significant damage to your opponent. After the board has been lost, you will be looking to use your burn, fuelled by card draw, to deliver lethal damage.
Aggro/Tempo Mage Mulligan
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Babbling Book, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Arcane Intellect.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Frostbolt.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Research Project.
Aggro/Tempo Mage Strategy
Tempo Mage is heavily reliant on large combo turns in order to extreme huge amount of tempo and value from its minions. For most of the early game, your main aim should be to draw through your deck in order to give yourself the most options possible later in the game. During this time, you should avoid playing copies of your Sorcerer's Apprentice and Flamewaker, unless you have a second copy in hand, as they are essential later in the game.
From Turn 5 onward, you should look for situations to unleash a combo upon your opponent. In order to do this, you need to at least be able to play a copy of Flamewaker and Sorcerer's Apprentice. With these 2 minions in play, you should begin unleashing spells from your hand, with Sorcerer's Apprentice making all 1-Cost spells free and Flamewaker dealing 2 damage for each one played, you can deal huge amounts of damage to your opponent and their board. If you are not killing your opponent with this combo, you should look to play Mana Cyclone, using Elemental Evocation if needed, when you are done playing spells. This will allow you to replenish your hand and follow up with further spells over the next few turns.
Against Aggro, you should not focus too heavily in killing your opponent. Instead, you should look to use your Sorcerer's Apprentice and Flamewaker combo to secure and clear the board in the mid game. As Aggro decks do not have good comeback mechanics, clearing the board in this way will most likely set you up to combo again on the following turn using any remaining spells.
Against Control, you should take advantage of any passivity to assemble a stronger combo. You will often have time to play either 2 copies of Sorcerer's Apprentice or 2 copies of Flamewaker, and sometimes even Stargazer Luna, as part of your combo. This will significantly increase the amount of damage you can deal and will often result in being able to kill your opponent in one turn.
Aggro/Tempo Mage Key Cards and Swaps
- 09 Oct. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Doom in the Tomb patch. Removed 2x Spellzerker, 2x Cosmic Anomaly, 2x Unexpected Results, 2x Fireball, 1x Archmage Antonidas for 2x Mirror Image, 2x Babbling Book, 2x Research Project, 2x Flamewaker, 1x Frost Nova.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the Saviors of Uldum expansion.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been moved for the fun category for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been updated for the June balance patch. Removed 2x Messenger Raven for 2x Unexpected Results.
- 01 May 2019: Deck has been updated for the May play season. Removed 2x Arcane Watcher, 1x Bloodmage Thalnos, 1x Kirin Tor Tricaster for 2x Elemental Evocation, 2x Ray of Frost.
- 08 Apr. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Rise of Shadows expansion. Removed 2x Primordial Glyph, 2x Explosive Runes, 2x Arcanologist, 2x Kirin Tor Mage, 1x Mana Addict, 1x Counterspell, 1x Aluneth for 2x Mana Cyclone 2x Arcane Watcher, 2x Kirin Tor Tricaster, 2x Messenger Raven, 2x Magic Trick, 1x Archmage Antonidas, 1x Bloodmage Thalnos.
- 01 Jan. 2019: Deck updated for the January play season. Removed 1x Celestial Emissary, 2x Mana Wyrm for 2x Spellzerker, 1x Mana Addict.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 18 Sep. 2018: Budget version of the deck has been updated. Removed 1x Celestial Emissary, 2x Vex Crow, 1x Mirror Entity for 2x Research Project, 2x Cosmic Anomaly.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Deck updated for the September play season. Removed 1x Pyroblast, 1x Celestial Emissary, 1x Counterspell for 2x Cosmic Anomaly, 1x Stargazer Luna.
- 09 Aug. 2018: Guide updated for The Boomsday Project expansion, removed 2x Amani Berserker, 2x Lifedrinker for 2x Celestial Emissary, 2x Shooting Star.
- 01 Jul. 2018: Monthly checkup. Deck is up to date.
- 26 May 2018: Aggro Tempo Mage Guide added. A fun, and strong, deck which puts heavy pressure on the opponent from the very start.
- Hearthstone 15.6.2 Patch Notes
- Celebrate 25 Years of Warcraft
- Tavern Brawl Temporarily Disabled
- Q3 Earnings: Classic Drives Biggest Quarterly Increase to Subscription Plans in History
- Patch 15.6 Issues: Fixes Coming Monday/Tuesday
- Hearthstone 15.6 Update Patch Notes
- BlizzCon 2019 in 3 Minutes
- Quick Official Video Highlight Summaries for the Announcements at BlizzCon
- Battlegrounds Strategy
- Battlegrounds Special Cards
- Battlegrounds Mechanics
- Hearthstone Battlegrounds
- Battlegrounds Hero Tier List
- Battlegrounds Card Tier List
- No +5 Druid decks yet?
- Arena Warlock Tier Lists