Combo Priest Deck List Guide - Descent of Dragons December 2019
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Combo Priest in Descent of Dragons expansion.
Combo Priest is an archetype that has existed since the very beginning of Hearthstone. The deck has seen a broad range of builds over its long history, but all builds share the same goal of using the powerful synergy between the Divine Spirit and Inner Fire spells to create a huge minion to burst down opponents.
This guide is now defunct due to multiple key cards being rotated to the Hall of Fame as part of the Ashes of Outland expansion pre-patch.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Combo Priest is a very proactive deck that has minimal interest in opposing plays. In your Mulligan, you should primarily be looking for card draw tools to allow you to start assembling a game-winning combo as soon as possible.
In the early game, you will be looking to develop a board with card draw tools like Northshire Cleric and Acolyte of Pain to begin cycling through your deck. However, you should consider your opponent's potential responses before doing so. For example, playing a Cleric into a class that can easily deal 3 damage, such as Druid or Rogue, is a poor choice as Cleric is a key source of card draw for Combo Priest. Similarly, if your opponent is likely to play a 3/2 minion the following turn, then it is also unwise to play out your Cleric on Turn 1, unless you have a Power Word: Shield available to buff it the following turn.
Combo Priest decks are highly dependent on buff effects, especially Divine Spirit and either Inner Fire or Topsy Turvy to close out games. However, there are far more buff effects in the deck than are ever needed to win the game. It is often worth using small buffs like Power Word: Shield and Extra Arms to help prolong the life of your Northshire Clerics and Acolyte of Pain to maximise the amount of card draw you can extract from them.
Throughout the game, you should look for opportunities to draw large amounts of cards to rapidly assemble your combo. While there are many combinations available that are generally used, it is important to keep in mind how the various effects of cards in the deck interact to be able to spot combo opportunities. Firstly, you should look to find a way to damage minions on the board. This is most easily done with, but is not limited to, Wild Pyromancer. Secondly, you should find a way to draw the cards, which will always be Acolyte of Pain or Northshire Cleric. In the case of Acolyte of Pain, simply damaging the minion as many times as possible is enough. However, for Northshire Cleric, you should also look for a Circle of Healing to draw 1 card for every minion healed and quickly cycle your deck.
The newest addition to the archetype, High Priest Amet, makes it incredibly more potent. While in the best-case scenario it allow you to generate a huge board of high-Health minions that opponents will almost never be able to remove without a full board clear, it is still very powerful if it buffs a single minions like Acolyte of Pain, Wild Pyromancer, or Northshire Cleric, allowing you to greatly increase the potential of all of these cards.
Due to the unique abilities of almost every minion in the deck, Psychopomp is almost always an excellent play. Although you should hold on to it if you anticipate a high-value minion like High Priest Amet to die in the near future, playing it on curve is often correct due to so many strong targets to resurrect like Northshire Cleric, Acolyte of Pain, and Injured Blademaster.
When it comes to winning games, a specific set of cards is required. This usually involves using multiple copies of Divine Spirit followed by Inner Fire and often a Power Word: Shield or Extra Arms beforehand on a minion to give it a huge Attack value to burst down your opponent. Against opponents that use Taunt minions, Silence is often required too, so that you can attack your opponent directly. These combos are possible as early as Turn 3 and will sometimes take you a whole game to assemble, so it is very important to keep track of how much potential damage you have available at all times.
Combo Priest is a very flexible deck and has very few core cards aside from the spells needed to perform the final combo.
- 26 Mar. 2020: Deck has been retired due to rotation of key cards to the Hall of Fame.
- 10 Dec. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Descent of Dragons expansion. Removed 1x Silence, 1x Acolyte of Pain for 2x Hot Air Balloon.
- 01 Sep. 2019: Deck updated for the September play season. Removed 1x Extra Arms for 1x Bwonsamdi, the Dead
- 26 Aug. 2019: Added note regarding the August balance patch.
- 12 Aug. 2019: Guide has been completely rewritten for the Saviors of Uldum expansion.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck updated for the March play season. Removed 2x Loot Hoarder, 2x Twilight Acolyte, 2x Primordial Drake, 1x Bone Drake, 1x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Cabal Shadowpriest, 1x Topsy Turvy for 2x Dragonmaw Scorcher, 2x Circle of Healing, 2x Firetree Witchdoctor, 2x Wild Pyromancer, 1x Tar Creeper, 1x Nightscale Matriarch.
- 07 Feb. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the February balance patch.
- 01 Jan. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the January play season.
- 04 Dec. 2018: Deck has been reviewed and deemed appropriate for the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Deck reviewed for the September play season.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Guide updated for The Boomsday Project expansion. Removed 1x Inner Fire, 1x Cabal Shadow Priest for 2x Topsy Turvy.
- 01 Jul. 2018: Guide has been reviewed for the July play season.
- 27 Jun. 2018: Deck added.
- Hearthstone 17.2.2 Client Patch Now Live
- Hearthstone Balance Patch: Buffs & Nerfs Coming on Monday
- Activision Blizzard Q1 2020 Earnings Call: Shadowlands Still Planned for 2020
- Duplicate Cards in Season Rewards Chest
- Virtual Take Your Child to Work Day at Blizzard
- Nine Card Nerfs Are Coming Next Week
- Amazing Diablo 1 Trailer Remake With a Lot of New Footage
- 17.0.1 Server Hotfix
- Return of the Mechazod Brawl
- Dalaran Heist help please
- Tombs of Terror Sir Finley
- Tombs of Terror Brann Bronzebeard
- Battlegrounds Hero Tier List
- Highlander Hunter - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Zeh's Rank 1 Legend
- Quest Warrior - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Kibler's
- Aggro Egg Warrior - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Zeeland's