Highlander Hunter Deck List Guide - Scholomance Academy August 2020
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Highlander Hunter in the Scholomance Academy expansion.
Highlander Hunter includes only one copy of each card in order to make use of Zephrys the Great and Dinotamer Brann. It is an aggressive midrange deck which has the potential to win longer games thanks to Dragonqueen Alexstrasza.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Highlander Hunter Mulligan Guide
Highlander Hunter is a Midrange Highlander deck and as such, you should look for a strong opening curve in your Mulligan to make up for the deck's small number of comeback tools.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Zephrys the Great, Demon Companion, Dwarven Sharpshooter, Imprisoned Felmaw.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Stormhammer
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Dinotamer Brann
Highlander Hunter Strategy
In the early game, you should try to open with a strong curve of minions, such as Demon Companion, Dwarven Sharpshooter, Imprisoned Felmaw, and Phase Stalker to gain early control of the board and supporting them with Secrets as necessary.
Navigating the early game well and getting good value from your weapons and dragon synergy cards should put you in a good position to begin playing more pro-actively in the mid game. Big Ol' Whelp and Faceless Corruptor are powerful but slow cards, so it is generally much easier to play them when you are already at an advantage. This is also where your two major 7-Mana minions come online. Siamat and Dinotamer Brann are both exceptional cards from both behind and ahead. When behind, both cards can be used to trade away an enemy minion by leaving a body behind. When ahead, both are powerful drops that apply a lot of pressure. Siamat should typically be played with Divine Shield and Windfury when you are looking to pressure the opponent, although Taunt can be situationally useful to protect your face or board from Charge or Rush minions respectively.
Highlander Hunter can sustain a surprising amount pressure in the late game largely thanks to Dragonqueen Alexstrasza and Zephrys the Great. While these cards can often be used aggressively to pressure your opponent, they also offer great value. By staggering the use of Dragonqueen Alexstrasza's Dragons, you can ensure strong boards can be developed multiple turns in a row, even against strong board clears. Similarly, Zephrys can be used to generate high-value cards like Tirion Fordring against passive opponents. This can be a big difference maker against Control Warrior and other decks looking to exhaust your resources.
Remember that while you do have a lot of sustain, you are ultimately the aggressor against control decks, so be sure to find extra face damage where possible. It is often better to spend your final 2 Mana in a turn using Steady Shot rather than casting a Secret, especially if you do not expect the Secret to be activated any time soon.
Zephrys the Great is a difficult card to play correctly, and rewards players with a comprehensive knowledge of the Basic and Classic sets. In this deck, one of its strongest applications is burst damage, and it can do this in some surprising ways. For example, if you have managed to stick King Krush to the board, Zephrys will often offer you Windfury for lethal damage. Remember to deal any damage from hand with cards like Kill Command before playing Zephrys in these scenarios, as it does not take the specific cards in your hand into account when looking for lethal.
Against Aggro, you will typically find yourself playing the role of a control deck, removing enemy minions and limiting incoming damage as much as possible. When under a lot of pressure, using your secrets to bluff can be life-saving—the threat of Freezing Trap or Explosive Trap can often force your opponent into not attacking, buying you valuable time to reach the higher value cards in your deck.
Against Control, you can often win deep into the late game after playing your Highlander cards, but this is not the only route to victory; do not be afraid to play aggressively and try and close the game out early if your hand is suited to doing so. In general, hands full of premium minions (Primordial Explorer, Dinotamer Brann etc.) will want to be played aggressively, while slower or more reactive hands should be played for value.
Highlander Hunter Card Swaps
- Against Control — Add 1x Savannah Highmane for 1x Dwarven Sharpshooter.
- Against Aggro — Add 1x Explosive Trap for 1x Freezing Trap.
- 06 Aug. 2020: Deck has been updated for the Scholomance academy expansion. Removed 1x Hyena Alpha, 1x Marked Show, 1x Eaglehorn Bow, 1x Secretkeeper, 1x Shimmerfly, 1x Explosive Trap, 1x Pack Tactics, 1x Pressure Plate, 1x Unleash the Beast, 1x Maiev Shadowsong, 1x Deadly Shot, 1x Blazing Battlemage for 1x Demon Companion, 1x Ace Hunter Kreen, 1x Krolusk Barkstripper, 1x Snake Trap, 1x Faerie Dragon, 1x Evasive Feywing, 1x Imprisoned Felmaw, 1x Stormhammer, 1x Scavenger's Ingenuity, 1x Diving Gryphon, 1x Unleash the Hounds.
- 07 Apr. 2020: Deck has been updated for the Ashes of Outland expansion. Removed 1x Rat Trap, 1x Diving Gryphon, 1x Snipe, 1x Clear the Way, 1x Springpaw, 1x Masked Contender, 1x Subject 9, 1x Zilliax, 1x Zul'jin for 1x Phase Stalker, 1x Corrosive Breath, 1x Zixor, Apex Preditor, 1x Maiev Shadowsong, 1x Rotnest Drake, 1x Dragonbane, 1x Pack Tactics, Big Ol' Whelp, 1x Blazing Battlemage
- 10 Jan. 2020: Deck has been reviewed following the January balance patch.
- 10 Dec. 2019: Deck updated for the Descent of Dragons expansion. Removed 1x Sunreaver Spy, 1x Ramkahen Wildtamer, 1x Unleash the Hounds, 1x Savannah Highmane, 1x Tracking, 1x Hunters Pack, 1x Snake Trap, 1x Sandbinder for 1x Dwarven Sharpshooter, 1x Diving Gryphon, 1x Primordial Explorer, 1x Veranus, 1x Dragonqueen Alexstrasza, 1x Springpaw, 1x Clear the Way, 1x Faceless Corruptor.
- 14 Aug. 2019: Deck guide added.
- Introducing Icy Wiki
- Diablo 2 4K60 Upscaled Gameplay: 4 Acts Sorceress
- Activision Blizzard CFO Optimistic About Diablo Immortal
- Activision Blizzard Q2 2020 Financial Report
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- New Very Funny Diablo 2 Carbot Animations Series: Diablols 2
- Diablo 2 Retrospective