Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck List Guide (Rise of Shadows May 2019)
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Holy Wrath Paladin in The Rastakhan's Rumble expansion.
Holy Wrath OTK Paladin is an archetype theorised in the early days of Hearthstone. It involves using Holy Wrath to draw a very high-Cost card and burst down opponents directly. Previously this was done using Molten Giant and was based purely on luck, preventing it from ever being a viable deck for competitive play. However, with the release of the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion, Paladin gained Shirvallah, the Tiger to provide a more consistent high-Cost card for combos. When used in combination with Baleful Banker it is possible to shuffle Shirvallah into the deck once all cards have been drawn, providing consistent damage for Holy Wrath combos.
The year of the Dragon Standard rotation has had a very small effect on Holy Wrath Paladin with the big loss being Uther of the Ebon Blade. This has allowed the deck to relatively rise in strength against most meta decks.
1. Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Card List
This Holy Wrath OTK Paladin deck costs 8,200 and it is made up of the following cards.
|Paladin Cards||Neutral Cards|
2. Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Mana Curve
3. Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Mulligan Guide
As a Combo deck, Holy Wrath Paladin is very dependent on its Mulligan. You should focus heavily on keeping card draw, trusting that it will subsequently draw you any other cards you need.
4. Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Strategy
In the early game, your focus should be on drawing cards as quickly as possible. You should prioritise playing situational draws like Crystology and immediate draws like Novice Engineer before the slower draw of Bloodmage Thalnos. You can also play Flash of Light to draw cards if you have no minions available. At no point should you ever play a Baleful Banker or Holy Wrath as both cards are essential for your final combo.
Going into the mid game, you should continue drawing cards as fast as possible. Despite the potentially negative effect of Prismatic Lens, you should use it purely as a drawing tool, as duplicate copies of combo cards like Holy Wrath are included in the deck for rare circumstances where Shirvallah, the Tiger is drawn with your Lens.
If at any point your opponent's board begins to get out of control, there are a range of spells and combos that can be used to take off the pressure. For smaller boards, Consecration can be used to help clear the board and it can be used in combination with Wild Pyromancer and Bloodmage Thalnos to boost the damage up to 3 or 4. Against boards with bigger minions, Shrink Ray is the best tool of choice. It can be used immediately to dwarf all minions on the board and make their damage negligible. If the board contains threats that need to immediately be removed, even when their stats are set to 1/1, Wild Pyromancer can additionally be combined with Shrink Ray to clearly remove all minions on both sides of the board. In situations where you do not have a full board clear available, or you anticipate your opponent committing to the board even further, Time Out! can be used to buy yourself a valuable extra turn to help set up the perfect board clear.
When you approach the end of the deck, your aim is to be in a position with Baleful Banker, Holy Wrath, and Shirvallah, the Tiger in your hand. Once the bottom of your deck has been reached, you can proceed to play Shirvallah, shuffle it into your deck with the Baleful Banker, and then proceed to Holy Wrath your opponent directly for a guaranteed 25 damage. If this is not enough to kill your opponent, you can additionally use Time Out! to stall the game and repeat the combo again on the following turn using your second copies of Holy Wrath and Baleful Banker for another 25 damage.
5. Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Card Swaps
6. Wild Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck
There are currently no Wild variants of Holy Wrath Paladin available due to powerful disruption tools like Dirty Rat.
7. Quick Tips and Tricks
- Do not be afraid to use Prismatic Lens to draw cards as the deck has alternative strategies for situations where the Cost of Holy Wrath is set to 25.
- If you have multiple cheap minions on board, Shrink Ray can be used by itself to allow your minions to trade.
- Against decks with no healing, only one Holy Wrath is required, allowing you to use a single Baleful Banker and Shirvallah, the Tiger defensively if needed.
- 01 May 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the May play season.
- 08 Apr. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Rise of Shadows expansion. Removed 2x Righteous Protector, 1x Potion of Heroism, 1x Zola the Gorgon, 1x Uther of the Ebon Blade for 2x Doomsayer, 2x Truesilver Champion, 1x Hammer of Wrath.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck updated for the March play season. Removed 2x Equality for 1x Shrink Ray, 1x Youthful Brewmaster.
- 06 Feb. 2019: Deck has been updated following the February balance patch. Removed 2x Spikeridged Steed, 2x Truesilver Champion, 1x Augmented Elekk, 1x Potion of Heroism, 1x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Lynessa Sunsorrow for 2x Righteous Protector, 2x Prismatic Lens, 1x Crystology, 1x Zola the Gorgon, 1x Hammer of Wrath, 1x Crystalsmith Kangor.
- 01 Jan. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the January play season.
- 12 Dec. 2018: Budget variant added.
- 06 Dec. 2018: Deck added.
- Rise of the Mech Buffs 18 Boomsday Project Cards
- Our Dalaran Heist Guide Is Up
- Three Rogue Cards & Archivist Elysiana Are Getting Nerfed
- Dalaran Heist Hotfixes: May 17
- The First Two Chapters of the Dalaran Heist Are Now Live
- Hearthstone Update 14.2: The Dalaran Heist
- Rafaam Recruiting Part 1: E.V.I.L. Initiates Live Action Video
- US Senator Seeks to Ban Loot Boxes & Pay-to-Win Microtransactions
- The Dalaran Heist
- Mage Secrets Not Working in Dalaran Heist?
- Dalaran Heist Mage Guide
- Slysssa's Rank 2 Legend Shudderwock Murloc Shaman deck
- Just for fun and out of interest
- Dalaran Heist Hunter Guide
- is there any way of telling from the front of the card...