Dragon Mage Deck List Guide - Saviors of Uldum September 2019
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Dragon Mage in The Saviors of Uldum expansion.
Dragon Mage is a minion-based Control deck that uses Dragons to control the board. It makes full use of summon effects like Power of Creation in combination with Khadgar to extra huge value from the deck.
The August balance patch that increased the cost of Conjurer's Calling has had a small impact on the strength of the deck. However, the card still remains strong and there is no suitable replacement.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Dragon Mage Mulligan Guide
Dragon Mage has a good amount of card draw that allows it to consistently draw game-winning combos. However, it has no healing effects, so it is essential that you look for defensive tools in your mulligan to avoid taking critical damage.
Dragon Mage is a Control deck that can out-value almost any opponent. However, it lacks powerful board clears so it is important to use your mulligan to find a good mix of early-game minions to contest the board.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Firetree Witchdoctor, Messenger Raven, Book of Specters.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Sunfury Protector.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Mountain Giant, Astromancer.
Dragon Mage Strategy
The game plan for Dragon Mage is simple. Make it to the late game and overwhelm your opponent using a barrage of value from Khadgar in combination with Power of Creation, Astromancer, and all of the high-value Dragons in the deck. To reach the late game, you can freely play any of your minions to contest the board, even Sunfury Protector and Acidic Swamp Ooze. Weaving in a Book of Specters if you have 2 Mana to spare will also greatly increase the value of many of your other cards later in the game. Resilient minions like Twilight Drake should allow you to eventually take control of the board in the mid game to put you into a strong position to put late-game pressure onto your opponent.
Against Aggro, your main aim is to survive. As the deck lacks consistent healing tools, you should do everything possible to minimise the damage you take. Remember that Conjurer's Calling can also be used to remove problematic minions from your opponent like Edwin VanCleef if needed. Using Sunfury Protector on large minions like Twilight Drake will allow you to build a huge wall to lock your opponent out of the game.
Against Control, you should try to get the maximum value from your deck. Using Book of Specters as soon as possible will greatly increase the value of Astromancer, Mountain Giant, and Twilight Drake. Additionally, you should try to save Khadgar exclusively for use with Power of Creation.
Dragon Mage Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 2x Rabble Bouncer 1x Power of Creation, 1x Crowd Roaster.
- Against Control — Add 1x Alexstrasza, for 1x Sunfury Protector.
- 02 Sep. 2019: Guide reviewed for September play season.
- 26 Aug. 2019: Added note regarding the August balance patch.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. Removed 1x Sunfury Protector, 1x Acidic Swamp Ooze, 1x Crowd Roaster for 2x Khartut Defender, 1x Siamat.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June balance patch.
- 01 May 2019: Deck has been updated for the May play season. Removed 2x Rotten Applebaum, 1x Safeguard for 1x Sunfury Protector, 2x Voodoo Doll.
- 12 Apr. 2019: Deck added.
- Hearthstone 15.6.2 Patch Notes
- Celebrate 25 Years of Warcraft
- Tavern Brawl Temporarily Disabled
- Q3 Earnings: Classic Drives Biggest Quarterly Increase to Subscription Plans in History
- Patch 15.6 Issues: Fixes Coming Monday/Tuesday
- Hearthstone 15.6 Update Patch Notes
- BlizzCon 2019 in 3 Minutes
- Quick Official Video Highlight Summaries for the Announcements at BlizzCon
- Battlegrounds Strategy
- Battlegrounds Special Cards
- Battlegrounds Mechanics
- Hearthstone Battlegrounds
- Battlegrounds Hero Tier List
- Battlegrounds Card Tier List
- No +5 Druid decks yet?
- Arena Warlock Tier Lists