Dragon Mage Deck List Guide - Ashes of Outland April 2020
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Dragon Mage in The Ashes of Outland expansion.
Dragon Mage is a minion-based Midrange deck that makes use of powerful Dragon Battlecries to gain tempo and pressure opponents. The deck largely relies on minions to generate the spells that it needs.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Dragon Mage Mulligan Guide
Dragon Mage has a good amount of card draw that allows it to consistently draw game-winning combos. However, it has minimal healing effects, so it is essential to look for early tempo in your mulligan to avoid taking critical damage.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Doomsayer, Twilight Drake, Arcane Intellect, Frizz Kindleroost.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Arcane Breath, Scalerider, Frostbolt.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Malygos, Aspect of Magic, Azure Explorer.
Dragon Mage Strategy
Dragon Mage is a powerful Midrange deck packed full of strong minions and value. The deck largely relies on synergy with Dragons, of which there are many in the deck, to activate cards like Arcane Breath and Scalerider to safely secure control of the board. With the board safely under control, the deck can continue to play powerful Dragons turn after turn to wear down opponents. Board advantage can be pushed further using Conjurer's Calling on powerful minions like Dragoncaster or simply any Dragon that is largely used for its Battlecry effect, such as Azure Explorer or Malygos, Aspect of Magic. This consistent pressure can be paired with spell generation effects like Arcane Breath to burn down opponents.
Against Aggro, your main aim is to survive as the deck has more than enough value to win in the long run. You should prioritise generating spells that help you control the board, such as Frostbolt and Flamestrike, from your spell generation effects like Arcane Breath and Malygos, Aspect of Magic, which will go a long way to helping you control the board.
Against Control, you should look to maximise the value of all your card generation effects. Using Azure Explorer to generate powerful Dragons like Ysera will go a long way to exhausting your opponent's resources. Similarly, you should avoid over-committing to avoid giving value to board clears like Brawl. Eventually, you should be able to run your opponent out of removal and grind down their health using your powerful Dragons.
Dragon Mage Card Swaps
- Against Aggro — Add 2x Flame Ward for 2x Dragoncaster.
- Against Control — Add 1x Archmage Antonidas for 1x Khartut Defender.
- 07 Apr. 2020: Deck has been updated for the Ashes of Outland exansion. Removed 2x Firetree Witchdoctor, 2x Scaleworm, 1x Dragonmaw Scorcher, 1x Zilliax, 1x Crowd Roaster, 2x Mountain Giant for 2x Dragoncaster, 2x Frost Nova, 2x Doomsayer, 2x Blizzard, 2x Frostbolt.
- 10 Dec. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Descent of Dragons expansion. Removed 2x Messenger Raven, 2x Power of Creation, 1x Harrison Jones, 1x Siamat, 2x Astromancer, 1x Sunfury Protector, 2x Voodoo Doll, 1x Dragonmaw Scorcher, 2x Book of Specters for 2x Arcane Breath, 2x Azure Explorer, 2x Scalerider, 1x Frizz Kindleroost, 1x Malygos, Aspect of Magic, 2x Big Ol' Whelp, 2x Arcane Intellect, 1x Alexstrasza.
- 02 Sep. 2019: Guide reviewed for September play season.
- 26 Aug. 2019: Added note regarding the August balance patch.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Saviors of Uldum expansion. Removed 1x Sunfury Protector, 1x Acidic Swamp Ooze, 1x Crowd Roaster for 2x Khartut Defender, 1x Siamat.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the July card rotation.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June balance patch.
- 01 May 2019: Deck has been updated for the May play season. Removed 2x Rotten Applebaum, 1x Safeguard for 1x Sunfury Protector, 2x Voodoo Doll.
- 12 Apr. 2019: Deck added.
- Hearthstone 17.2.2 Client Patch Now Live
- Hearthstone Balance Patch: Buffs & Nerfs Coming on Monday
- Activision Blizzard Q1 2020 Earnings Call: Shadowlands Still Planned for 2020
- Duplicate Cards in Season Rewards Chest
- Virtual Take Your Child to Work Day at Blizzard
- Nine Card Nerfs Are Coming Next Week
- Amazing Diablo 1 Trailer Remake With a Lot of New Footage
- 17.0.1 Server Hotfix
- Return of the Mechazod Brawl
- Dalaran Heist help please
- Tombs of Terror Sir Finley
- Tombs of Terror Brann Bronzebeard
- Battlegrounds Hero Tier List
- Highlander Hunter - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Zeh's Rank 1 Legend
- Quest Warrior - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Kibler's
- Aggro Egg Warrior - Ashes of Outland April 2020 - Zeeland's