Reno Highlander Mage Deck List Guide - Saviors of Uldum August 2019
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Reno Mage in the Saviors of Uldum expansion.
Reno Mage is a "highlander" deck, including only one copy of each card in order to make use of Zephrys the Great and Reno the Relicologist. It is a versatile control deck with a threat-heavy lategame.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Reno Highlander Mage Deck Lists
- Oliech's Top 10 Legend Highlander Mage Deck
- Kalas' Rank 1 Legend Highlander Mage Deck
- Apxvoid's Rank 1 Legend Reno Mage Deck
- Montu's Top 10 Legend Highlander Mage Deck
- StrifeCro's 12-Win Brawliseum Reno Mage Deck
- Oyatsu Rank 6 Legend Reno Mage Deck
- Orange's Reno Mage Deck
- HotMEOWTH Top 10 Legend Reno Mage Deck
- Xilinhung Rank 11 Legend Reno Mage Deck
- Kusonae's Legend Reno Mage Deck
- Vigil's Highlander Mage Deck
Reno Highlander Mage Mulligan Guide
Reno Mage includes a few key build-around cards with a much higher power level than the rest of the deck. These will be your main Mulligan targets in most matchups.
- General Mulligan (keep regardless of what your opponent is playing) — Luna's Pocket Galaxy, Reno the Relicologist, Zephrys the Great.
- Mulligan against Aggro (also keep if you think you are playing against an aggressive deck) — Frostbolt, Doomsayer, Zilliax, Ray of Frost.
- Mulligan against Control (also keep if you think you are playing against a slow deck) — Arcane Intellect, Conjurer's Calling, Mountain Giant.
Reno Highlander Mage Strategy
Reno Mage is a control deck with a powerful late game based on summoning multiple large minions. Cards like King Phaoris, Conjurer's Calling, and Power of Creation allow you to generate several waves of threats, especially when combined with Khadgar.
You will find yourself taking a variety of different routes to get to this stage thanks to the nature of the deck's highlander style. As a general rule, though, you will be playing passively during the early game and seeking to recover with a powerful swing turn. This could take the form of one of your major board clears, such as Reno the Relicologist, or of a massive board development.
Luna's Pocket Galaxy is an incredibly potent card that can totally change the way games play out. If you find it, try and play it as early as possible in order to maximise the amount of discounted minions you draw in the next few turns. Reno Mage has several comeback mechanics (mostly in the form of board clears), so do not be afraid to take some damage if that is the cost of playing Pocket Galaxy early.
Zephrys the Great is a very difficult card to use well, and rewards players with a comprehensive knowledge of the Basic and Classic sets. Its Battlecry discovers the "perfect card": a card from the Classic or Basic set from any class that Zephrys believes will be useful based on the current game state. This high level of flexibility makes it hard to identify exactly when Zephrys will be most impactful. One strategy you can use for valuing it is to evaluate your hand and consider what is missing; if you are lacking a threat, a major removal or a board clear, and think you may need one, hold Zephrys until a turn on which it can serve that purpose. Do not be afraid to play it on turn 2 if your hand demands it; Wild Growth can be an exceptionally strong option in this deck due to its heavy curve.
Try to set up your turns in such a way that it will be obvious to Zephrys which card you are looking for. Setting your opponent's Health to 6 before playing Zephrys, for example, is much more likely to result in the offer of a lethal Fireball than playing Zephrys at the beginning of your turn. Additionally, be on the lookout for situations where a highly niche card can swing the game; Hungry Crab is frequently offered as an answer to opposing Murlocs, for example.
Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron may seem like a dangerously inconsistent card, but it is often an extremely powerful comeback mechanic. It is usually best treated as a major board clear, as this is the most common and useful effect it will have. It can also be played onto an empty board if you are lacking good pro-active cards, as it will regularly draw or generate extra cards for you and put random Secrets into play. Try to avoid playing it when you are at a large advantage, however, as its high level of randomness can quickly cost you the game.
Against Aggro, it is important to limit the amount of damage you take, as the deck runs only a small amount of life-gain. Use freeze effects liberally, and err towards playing high-value minions like Stargazer Luna for tempo rather than holding onto them for maximum value. This will help you drag games out long enough for your superior lategame to seal the win.
Against Control, try to stagger your threats in order to put some strain on their removal options. Overextending into board clear spells like Brawl can be costly, but equally it is important to make your opponent use them; forcing out a board clear with a medium-sized board can clear the way for big plays like King Phaoris to win the game.
Reno Highlander Mage Card Swaps
- Against Control — Add 1x Hex Lord Malacrass, 1x Astromancer and 1x Pyroblast for 1x Ancient Mysteries, 1x Flame Ward and 1x Ray of Frost.
- Against Aggro — Add 1x SN1P-SN4P, 1x Ice Barrier and 1x Mind Control Tech for 1x Kalecgos, 1x Counterspell and 1x King Phaoris.
- 09 Aug. 2019: Deck added.
- Meta Report: Saviors of Uldum Week One
- Activision Blizzard Q2 2019 Earnings Call
- We've Upgraded Our Hearthstone Section!
- Saviors of Uldum Day 3: the Best Decks So Far
- Tavern Brawl: The Standard Brawliseum
- We Built a Quest Deck for Every Class in Saviors of Uldum
- Saviors of Uldum is Live Worldwide
- Every New Card from the Saviors of Uldum Reveal Stream
- Taunt Warrior Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Dono's Top 50 Legend
- Token Quest Shaman Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Integer's Top 50 Legend
- Highlander Zoo Warlock Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Robot Wizard's Top 50 Legend
- Highlander Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Meati's Top 10 Legend
- Combo Priest Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Rolle's Top 20 Legend
- Tempo Rogue Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Tortosh's Top 50 Legend
- Reno Mage Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Apxvoid's Rank 1 Legend
- Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Shuzo's Top 50 Legend