Even Paladin Deck List Guide (The Boomsday Project October 2018)
Table of Contents
- 1. Even Paladin Card List
- 2. Even Paladin Mana Curve
- 3. Even Paladin Mulligan Guide
- 4. Even Paladin Strategy
- 5. Even Paladin Card Swaps
- 6. Budget Even Paladin Deck
- 7. Wild Even Paladin Deck
- 8. Quick Tips and Tricks
- 9. Similar Hearthstone Decks
- 10. About the Author
- 11. Changelog
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Even Paladin in The Boomsday Project expansion.
Even Paladin is a powerful and flexible deck that is very powerful at Legend ranks. It uses cards that only have even Mana-Costs to utilise Genn Greymane to get a cheaper Hero Power. While the deck may not be as flamboyant as other decks from Witchwood expansion, the consistent value from 1-Mana Silver Hand Recruits each turn has proved to be very strong. Even Paladin has a very board-focused playstyle and relies on using powerful Paladin cards similar to those found in Midrange Paladin and Dude Paladin decks, which just happen to have even Mana-Costs.
The Boomsday Project expansion has helped breathe some new life into the deck. With additional healing from Crystalsmith Kangor and card draw from Crystology the deck has shifted from a tempo style to more sustained pressure and is increasing in popularity.
1. Even Paladin Card List
This Even Paladin deck costs 11,040 and it is made up of the following cards.
|Paladin Cards||Neutral Cards|
2. Even Paladin Mana Curve
3. Even Paladin Mulligan Guide
Even Paladin has a unique Mulligan strategy due to the cheaper Hero Power resulting from Genn Greymane, making it much easier to efficiently use your Mana each turn. As the deck also contains a large number of 2-drops and 4-drops, you are also much more likely to draw into a strong curve even without your Mulligan.
You should look to keep some of your 2-drops, like Knife Juggler, Drygulch Jailor and Hydrologist, in your opening hand to ensure you can curve out smoothly. If you already have a copy of Drygulch Jailor, you can also look for a Lightfused Stegodon in your opening hand.
Against Aggro decks, you can keep a copy of Equality to ensure you have it to pair with your other cards later in the game.
You can keep Truesilver Champion against Druid and Priest. Having a weapon available on turn 4 will greatly help the fight for board control.
4. Even Paladin Strategy
In the early game, you should be looking to curve out as smoothly as possible, using your 1-Mana Hero Power to help on any turns you have an odd amount of Mana. As the deck is lacking in 2-drops after the removal of Call to Arms, you should look for any turn 2 play you have available. The most flexible choices available are Drygulch Jailor and Hydrologist. However, if you do not have them available, then a Knife Juggler can suffice.
As you enter into the mid game, you will gain access to the power cards in the deck, Lightfused Stegodon, Truesilver Champion, The Glass Knight and Blessing of Kings. Each of these cards has different strengths and weaknesses based on the matchup and the state of the game. Truesilver Champion is a good choice against Tempo and Aggro decks, providing an efficient method of keeping the board under control. Lightfused Stegodon is a great choice if you have managed to stick multiple Silver Hand Recruits from previous turns. This is usually a more aggressive play if your opponent has chosen not to test the board. You should prioritise a +3 Attack adaptation in this scenario. The Glass Knight can be great value card if you have recurring healing effects available, such as Vicious Scalehide or Truesilver Champion, to allow you to repeatedly replenish its Divine Shield. Lastly, Blessing of Kings can be used to compound a board advantage without making yourself vulnerable to AoE effects. It is often a great choice against Control decks like Warlock, but can be quite poor against Tempo and Aggro decks where Silence effects like Spellbreaker are very common.
The early and mid-game tools are often enough to put enough pressure on opponents to slowly grind them down. This advantage can be compounded with Sunkeeper Tarim turning cheap Dudes, courtesy of Genn Greymane, into solid 3/3 minions. However, if you do happen to lose control of the board, the combination of Equality and Consecration or Wild Pyromancer is available to reset the state of the board.
If you ever find yourself under pressure the deck has many defensive tools available. Multiple healing effects, such as Truesilver Champion and Vicious Scalehide can be used to top up your Health. Vicious Scalehide can be very potent when combined with buffs from Blessing of Kings to provided even more Healing. Additionally, Spikeridged Steed serves as an easy way to turn any minion into two strong Taunt minions and can even provide extea healing as well if used on a copy of Vicious Scalehide.
If you reach the late game, Val'anyr can become an incredibly powerful tool for the deck. The alternating weapon and buff effect create a nearly infinite source of value that can be troublesome for even the greediest of Control decks. However, the card is incredibly vulnerable to Silence effects once it has buffed a minion. To counter this, you should try and manipulate your hand in such a way so that the buff lands on the best target in your deck, Saronite Chain Gang. As Saronite Chain Gang duplicates itself once played, it will also duplicate the buff to create a second target that needs to be Silenced.
5. Even Paladin Card Swaps
Even Paladin has a large range of cards available due to the overall strength of even-Cost cards, some options one can consider are listed below:
- Plated Beetle can be used as an additional 2-drop and defensive tool for the deck.
- Crystal Lion can be used to pair with the numerous Silver Hand Recruits the deck can generate.
- Upgradeable Framebot can be used a solid foundation for followup buffs like Blessing of Kings.
6. Budget Even Paladin Deck
Even Paladin can cut out multiple Legendary and Epic cards to make the deck cheap relative to the full-budget version. However, Genn Greymane cannot be replaced as it is a core card for the deck's functionality.
|Paladin Cards||Neutral Cards|
This cheap deck cuts out some expensive cards like Sunkeeper Tarim, Avenging Wrath, and The Lich King and instead uses some cheap substitutes like Silver Sword, Crystal Lion, and Dark Conviction. These changes take away some of the burst damage from the deck and align the strategy closer to that of Dude Paladin. You should put in additional effort to maintain control of the board at all times due to the severe lack of burst damage available.
7. Wild Even Paladin Deck
If you wish to play Even Paladin in Hearthstone's Wild format, there are many extra tools that you have at your disposal. A general deck you can play in the Wild format is shown below.
|Paladin Cards||Neutral Cards|
Wild Even Paladin gains a huge boost in early-game strength, mostly due to the addition of powerful 2-drops like Mechwarper, Shielded Minibot, Annoy-o-Tron, and Haunted Creeper to help secure a strong early-game board. The Mechwarper package can also create a dynamic Mana curve, allowing you to negate the drawback forgoing odd-Cost cards.
There are far more powerful cards in Wild that are vulnerable to Silence effect, which makes your Spellbreaker usage even more crucial. You should almost always be saving it to for key cards like Voidcaller or to help push through resilient minions like Sludge Belcher
8. Quick Tips and Tricks
- Choose Adaptations from Lightfused Stegodon carefully as the best choice is very dependent on the state of the game.
- Be careful of Silence effects, especially when using cards like Blessing of Kings or a minion buffed with Val'anyr.
- Save Spellbreakers for pushing past key minions.
- Try to play lesser minions from your hand before you trigger the Deathrattle of Val'anyr to maximise the chances if lands on a good target.
- Try to force AoE out of out opponents before you decide to flood the board.
9. Similar Hearthstone Decks
If you enjoyed playing Even Paladin, we have many Other hearthstone deck guides you may enjoy.
Similar Paladin decks:
Other Even decks that use Genn Greymane:
10. About the Author
This guide is presented to you by Kat, a professional Hearthstone player competing at the highest level since closed beta. She is a consistent legend player in both Wild and Standard with multiple high-rank finishes.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Deck updated for the September play season. Rmoved 1x Acidic Swamp Ooze, 2x Loot Hoarder, 2x Wild Pyromancer, 1x Spellbreaker, 1x Avenging Wrath, 1x Argent Commander, 2x Glowstone Technician, 1x The Lich King for 1x Crystalsmith Kangor, 2x Crystology, 2x Hydrgologist, 2x Vicious Scalehide, 1x The Glass Knight, 2x Spikeridged Steed, 1x Tirion Fordring
- 07 Aug. 2018: Guide updated for The Boomsday Project expansion. Removed 2x Dark Conviction, 1x Glass Knight, 1x Black Knight, 1x Avenging Wrath, 1x Argent Commander for 2x Glowstone Technician, 2x Knife Juggler, 2x Loot Hoarder
- 05 Jul. 2018: Added Even Warlock and Even Warrior to similar decks.
- 01 Jul. 2018: Deck updated for the July play season. Removed 1x Spellbreaker for 1x The Black Knight. Added in Meati variant.
- 01 Jun. 2018: Guide has been reviewed for the June play season.
- 23 May 2018: Guide updated following Call to Arms nerf in May balance patch.
- 21 May 2018: Even Rogue added to similar decks.
- 15 May 2018: Deck added.
- Ticket Scalper & Heavy Metal! Reveals: Rastakhan's Rumble
- BlizzCon 2018 Diablo Immortal Press Conference Recap
- R/Hearthstone BlizzCon 2018 Interview
- Activision Blizzard Q3 2018 Earnings Call
- Time Out! Card Reveal by Wronchi
- Update 12.4: New Classic Cards & Rastakhan's Rumble Pre-Purchase
- Hearthstone Hits 100 Million Players, Rewards Inc!
- All Blizzard Franchises Will Have Mobile Titles
- Malygos Rogue
- Basic Druid Deck
- UK Players
- Whats the cheapest class to get into?
- No +5 Druid decks yet?
- OTK Mage
- Rastakhan's Rumble Hub
- Aggro Unite the Murlocs Quest Shaman Standard