Wild Odd Rogue Deck List Guide - Rise of Shadows April 2019
This guide contains detailed strategy, mulligan, and deck-building information to help you improve your Odd Rogue play for The Rastakhan's Rumble meta.
Odd Rogue is a strong Aggro deck that came around during the Witchwood expansion. It exclusively uses cards with odd Mana Costs to trigger the effect of Baku the Mooneater to gain access to the Poisoned Daggers Hero Power. The upgraded Hero Power serves as a great Tempo tool for controlling the board in addition to being an efficient source of damage for burning down opponents.
Following the February balance patch, Odd Rogue has seen a slight drop in strength due to the loss of Cold Blood. However, it still remains a very solid deck for the standard format.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Odd Rogue has an irregular mulligan strategy due to the deck building restrictions of Baku the Mooneater. You will often want to use your Hero Power on turn 2 and every other turn thereafter, which will have an impact on your Mana available when trying to plan out an optimal Mana curve.
You should look for multiple 1-drops in your opening hand such as Argent Squire, Dire Mole, or Fire Fly to help fit around your Hero Power usage. You should also try to find a strong turn 3 play such as Hench-Clan Thug or Vicious Fledgling.
In the early game, you should look to sieze control of the board as early as possible and begin putting pressure onto your opponent. This will usually consist of opening with an Argent Squire, Fire Fly, or Dire Mole. Your followup to this will greatly depend on the other cards in your hand. If you specifically have Hench-Clan Thug in your hand, it is almost always correct to Hero Power on turn 2 and not attack. However, if it is not available then you may opt to play 2 1-drops instead.
From turn 3 onward, you should be looking to play your power cards like Hench-Clan Thug and Vicious Fledgling, which can quickly snowball out of control if left unchecked. Due to the power these minions represent, you should protect them using your weapon and any previously played minions where necessary. If the board would still be unsafe for you to play any of the mentioned threats, you can opt to play a more expendable 3-drop such as SI:7 Agent or Blink Fox instead.
Heading into the mid game, you will be able to compound any advantage you have been able to leverage with cards like Fungalmancer, and Cobalt Scalebane. Both of these minions require you to already have minions on the board to be fully utilised and the best choice may vary depending on the state of the game. Fungalmancer provides the most immediate value, providing an immediate +4/+4 to your board if you have at least 2 minions in play. This is an excellent choice if you are looking to immediately make trades or need a small amount of damage to end the game. While Cobalt Scalebane provides a bit more long-term value. As a 5/5 minion, it is more difficult to remove by itself and with a powerful end of turn effect, it will provide more value the longer you have it in play. However, the drawback of this is that, unlike Fungalmancer, the buffing effect is not immediate and you are also not able to choose its target.
As with any Rogue deck, it is important to consider Combo mechanics when planning out your turns. The numerous 1-Mana plays in the deck make it relatively easy to activate cards like SI:7 Agent and Vilespine Slayer, but it is important to be mindful of them nonetheless. For example, you may have a Fire Fly, Hench-Clan Thug, and Vilespine Slayer in hand on turn 5. While it is Mana efficient to play the Hench-Clan Thug, Firefly, and subsequently generated Flame Elemental, this line of play leaves you with the very weak turn 6 play of an unactivated Vilespine Slayer. Instead, you should look into holding back at least the Flame Elemental for turn 6, to allow you to use the Combo effect of the Vilespine Slayer. While this play is less Mana efficient, the value of being able to remove any minion your opponent responds with vastly outweighs it.
Odd Rogue is a very streamlined aggressive deck that contains very little card draw, which makes the damage available to you finite and something to consider when making plays. It is a very common instinct to see an opponent's minion on the board that can be removed for free and to make that play. However, any damage used on attacking minions is damage that is not used on your opponent's hero and gives them time to stabilise. Instead, ask yourself what happens if you do not trade. For example, if you have a 5/2 minion on board and your opponent has a 5/5 minion, you may be very inclined to trade. However, if you simply attack your opponent instead, the pressure this causes will force them to make the trade instead, netting you 5 additional damage.
When it comes to closing out the game, Odd Rogue has a range of burst damage tools, such as Leeroy Jenkins, Southsea Deckhand, Deadly Poison, and SI:7 Agent. You should always be mindful of how much damage you have available from your hand. Additionally, try to familiarise yourself with these cards when planning your turns and checking for lethal as it is probable you will draw into one with so many into the deck. When it comes playing out these cards over multiple turns, it is also important to sequence your damage correctly. For example, if you have Charge minions in hand, it is important prioritise playing them first to ensure you can get the damage in before your opponent plays Taunt minions, whereas follow up damage like SI:7 Agent can be played the following turn due to being able to ignore Taunt.
Odd Rogue has plenty of room for variation and can easily be adapted as the meta demands.
The first card in the deck to consider swapping is Blink Fox.
You can include Ironbeak Owl as additional tech against Taunt minions or decks reliant on buffs.
Quick Tips and Tricks
- Use you weapon as frequently as possible to extract maximum value from Poisoned Daggers.
- Attack your opponent's Hero as much as possible and only trade if there is an imminent threat on the board.
- Always try to keep a 1-drop in hand to ensure you have an easy Combo activator available.
- Keep constant track of how much burst damage you have available in your hand when planning out your turns.
Similar Hearthstone Decks
If you enjoyed playing Odd Rogue, we have many other Hearthstone deck guides you may enjoy.
Other Odd decks that use Baku the Mooneater:
- 08 Apr. 2019: Deck has been moved to Wild for the year of the Dragon.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck has been reviewed and deemed appropriate for the March play season.
- 06 Feb. 2019: Deck has been updated following the February balance patch. Removed 2x Cold Blood, 1x Blink Fox for 2x Tar Creeper, 1x Crystallizer.
- 01 Jan. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the January play season.
- 04 Dec. 2018: Deck updated for the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion. Removed 2x Giggling Inventor, 2x Blood Knight for 1x Void Ripper, 2x Dire Mole, 1x Cobalt Scalebane.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been updated for the October play season. Removed 2x Crazed Chemist for 2x Blood Knight.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Deck updated for the September play season. Removed 2x Mecharoo, 1x Captain Greenskin, for 2x Giggling Inventor, 1x Myra's Unstable Element.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Guide updated for The Boomsday Project expansion. Removed 2x Cobalt Scalebane, 2x Dire Mole for 2x Crazed Chemist, 2x Mecharoo.
- 01 Jul. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the July play season.
- 19 Jun. 2018: Deck added.
- Meta Report: Saviors of Uldum Week One
- Activision Blizzard Q2 2019 Earnings Call
- We've Upgraded Our Hearthstone Section!
- Saviors of Uldum Day 3: the Best Decks So Far
- Tavern Brawl: The Standard Brawliseum
- We Built a Quest Deck for Every Class in Saviors of Uldum
- Saviors of Uldum is Live Worldwide
- Every New Card from the Saviors of Uldum Reveal Stream
- Stupid OTKs in Solo Adventures
- Quest Shaman
- Rank 1 Legend Highlander Hunter Deck - Uldum August 2019
- Fatigue Mage Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Charon's Top 100 Legend
- Dungeon Run Guides for K&C
- Budget Quest Shaman Deck - Uldum August 2019
- Zephrys Control Warrior Deck - Uldum August 2019 - hiten Top 20 Legend
- Zoo Warlock Deck - Uldum August 2019 - Pizza Top 10 Legend