Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Deck List Guide - Ashes of Outland March 2020
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Holy Wrath Paladin in The Ashes of Outland expansion.
Holy Wrath OTK Paladin is an archetype theorised in the early days of Hearthstone. It involves using Holy Wrath to draw a very high-Cost card and burst down opponents directly. Previously this was done using Molten Giant and was based purely on luck, preventing it from ever being a viable deck for competitive play. However, with the release of the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion, Paladin gained Shirvallah, the Tiger to provide a more consistent high-Cost card for combos. When used in combination with Baleful Banker it is possible to shuffle Shirvallah into the deck once all cards have been drawn, providing consistent damage for Holy Wrath combos.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Mulligan Guide
As a Combo deck, Holy Wrath Paladin is very dependent on its Mulligan. You should focus heavily on keeping card draw, trusting that it will subsequently draw you any other cards you need.
Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Strategy
In the early game, your focus should be on drawing cards as quickly as possible. You should prioritise playing situational draws like Crystology and immediate draws like Novice Engineer before the slower draw of Bloodmage Thalnos. You can also play Flash of Light to draw cards if you have no minions available. At no point should you ever play a Baleful Banker or Holy Wrath as both cards are essential for your final combo.
Going into the mid game, you should continue drawing cards as fast as possible. Despite the potentially negative effect of Prismatic Lens, you should use it purely as a drawing tool, as duplicate copies of combo cards like Holy Wrath are included in the deck for rare circumstances where Shirvallah, the Tiger is drawn with your Lens.
If at any point your opponent's board begins to get out of control, there are a range of spells and combos that can be used to take off the pressure. For smaller boards, Consecration can be used to help clear the board and it can be used in combination with Wild Pyromancer and Bloodmage Thalnos to boost the damage up to 3 or 4. Against boards with bigger minions, Shrink Ray is the best tool of choice. It can be used immediately to dwarf all minions on the board and make their damage negligible. If the board contains threats that need to immediately be removed, even when their stats are set to 1/1, Wild Pyromancer can additionally be combined with Shrink Ray to clearly remove all minions on both sides of the board. In situations where you do not have a full board clear available, or you anticipate your opponent committing to the board even further, Time Out! can be used to buy yourself a valuable extra turn to help set up the perfect board clear.
When you approach the end of the deck, your aim is to be in a position with Baleful Banker, Holy Wrath, and Shirvallah, the Tiger in your hand. Once the bottom of your deck has been reached, you can proceed to play Shirvallah, shuffle it into your deck with the Baleful Banker, and then proceed to Holy Wrath your opponent directly for a guaranteed 25 damage. If this is not enough to kill your opponent, you can additionally use Time Out! to stall the game and repeat the combo again on the following turn using your second copies of Holy Wrath and Baleful Banker for another 25 damage.
Holy Wrath OTK Paladin Card Swaps
Quick Tips and Tricks
- Do not be afraid to use Prismatic Lens to draw cards as the deck has alternative strategies for situations where the Cost of Holy Wrath is set to 25.
- If you have multiple cheap minions on board, Shrink Ray can be used by itself to allow your minions to trade.
- Against decks with no healing, only one Holy Wrath is required, allowing you to use a single Baleful Banker and Shirvallah, the Tiger defensively if needed.
- 26 Mar. 2020: Deck has been updated for the Ashes of Outland pre-patch. Removed 1x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Truesilver Champion, 2x Doomsayer for 1x Sathrovarr, 1x Elven Archer, 1x Hammer of Wrath, 1x Zephrys the Great.
- 10 Dec. 2019: Deck has been reviewed and deemed appropriate for the Descent of Dragons expansion.
- 02 Sep. 2019: Guide reviewed for September play season.
- 06 Aug. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the Saviors of Uldum expansion.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Deck has been updated for the July card rotation. Removed 1x Youthful Brewmaster, 1x Hammer of Wrath for 1x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Elven Archer.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the June balance patch.
- 01 May 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the May play season.
- 08 Apr. 2019: Deck has been updated for the Rise of Shadows expansion. Removed 2x Righteous Protector, 1x Potion of Heroism, 1x Zola the Gorgon, 1x Uther of the Ebon Blade for 2x Doomsayer, 2x Truesilver Champion, 1x Hammer of Wrath.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck updated for the March play season. Removed 2x Equality for 1x Shrink Ray, 1x Youthful Brewmaster.
- 06 Feb. 2019: Deck has been updated following the February balance patch. Removed 2x Spikeridged Steed, 2x Truesilver Champion, 1x Augmented Elekk, 1x Potion of Heroism, 1x Acolyte of Pain, 1x Lynessa Sunsorrow for 2x Righteous Protector, 2x Prismatic Lens, 1x Crystology, 1x Zola the Gorgon, 1x Hammer of Wrath, 1x Crystalsmith Kangor.
- 01 Jan. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the January play season.
- 12 Dec. 2018: Budget variant added.
- 06 Dec. 2018: Deck added.
- 25 Years of Warcraft Anniversary Video 8K Upscale
- The Blizzard April Fools Archive and Highlights
- Ranked Mode Overhaul Matchmaking FAQ
- The Best WarCraft Meme(s) of All Time
- Hearthstone 17.0 Update Hotfix Schedule
- Blizzard Sending Out Classic Burning Crusade Character Creation Surveys
- Diablo Community Manager Nevalistis Leaves Blizzard
- Free Decks for Returning Players Clarifications
- Face Hunter
- Return of the Mechazod Brawl
- Control Priest
- Galakrond Zoo Warlock
- Why am I losing?
- Dragon Hunter
- Reno Mage Deck - Galakrond's Awakening 2020 - PapaJason's Top 50 Legend
- Highlander Galakrond Rogue Deck - Galakrond's Awakening February 2020 - Jambre's Rank 4 Legend