Protection Warrior PvP Stat Priority, Gear, and Trinkets (Shadowlands / 9.2)
Choosing your gear carefully is important for your Protection Warrior in PvP. We give you a stat priority to help you choose items with the right stats, followed by advice on how to choose your gear and your trinkets.
This page is part of our Protection Warrior PvP Guide.
Stat Priority for Protection Warriors in PvP
The stat priority for Protection Warriors in PvP is as follows:
- Haste = Mastery = Critical Strike
Item level became a lot stronger in Shadowlands, which means that a piece with higher item level is generally an upgrade as long as it has some some Versatility on it.
Your gear goal should be to be fully equipped in Conquest gear. However, now that Tier Sets have made a return, some of your pieces cannot be Cosmic Gladiator pieces, and they have predetermined stats, meaning you cannot necessarily follow your wishes to build a specific stat budget. In addition, you have 2 pieces of gear that needs to be covered by Legendary powers.
- Gaze of the Infinite Infantry
- Breastplate of the Infinite Infantry
- Grasps of the Infinite Infantry
- Legplates of the Infinite Infantry
- Pauldrons of the Infinite Infantry
It is advised to keep the Helmet and the Shoulders because of their Versatility component, and picking out either Hands, Breastplate or Legs to not wear.
How to Acquire Tier Sets
There are many ways to get the tier set pieces, but the ones you will want to get are the ones through PvP activities, as they come with the +13 item level increase in PvP combat. In order to get them, you need to get them in the Great Vault or eventually create them from the Creation Catalyst.
Note: It is important to be wearing 2 PvP trinkets. This will give you a boost to your primary stat and Stamina.
Cosmic Gladiator's Medallion is a mandatory trinket to have equipped at all times. Even Human players will want to pick up this item.
Cosmic Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity gives you Critical Strike and provides a large increase to Strength.
Cosmic Gladiator's Devouring Malediction is similar to Unchained Gladiator's Shackles, but requires that you drain shields to apply the healing reduction. It also does no damage on its own, but can be a decent choice against heavy shield classes such as Warlocks and Discipline Priests.
Cosmic Gladiator's Emblem gives you an extra defensive by giving you a temporary health increase. This should be used if your priority is to survive and you know you are the kill target. Activating this trinket can then further empower Rallying Cry, Fleshcraft, and Phial of Serenity on you should it be necessary.
Cosmic Gladiator's Eternal Aegis is an alternative to the above, and provides even stronger defense, but only against magic damage. Consider this trinket against heavy magic damage compositions
Cosmic Gladiator's Resonator is a pure damage trinket, that can hit for a rather large amount. It's uncertain whether this trinket is actually worth playing, but you should hold onto this should you get it.
Gems and Enchants
In Patch 9.1 Domination Shards and Sockets have made their way into the game. These are currently being experimented with.
Here are the best enchants and gems for a Protection Warrior:
- Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Eternal Strength
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Soul Vitality
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Eternal Stats
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Tenet of Versatility
- Main Hand Enchant: Enchant Weapon - Sinful Revelation
- Off Hand Enchant: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
Gem all of your gear with Versatile Jewel Cluster.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 08 Nov. 2021: Page reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- Malaysian Hospital Showing Mists of Pandaria Trailer on Repeat
- The Burning Crusade Classic Character Clone Service Retiring Soon
- Patch 9.2 and Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: May 13th
- Warcraft II Inside World of Warcraft (Arcade Tab Fan Concept)
- Shadowlands Season 4 Keystone Master Mount Color Changed on the 9.2.5 PTR
- Social Contract Now Available on the 9.2.5 PTR
- World First Classic Sunwell Plateau Kill Claimed by Old School
- Blood Elf and Dark Iron Dwarf Weapons No Longer Race Locked on the 9.2.5 PTR