Protection Warrior PvP Stat Priority, Gear, and Trinkets (Shadowlands / 9.1)
Choosing your gear carefully is important for your Protection Warrior in PvP. We give you a stat priority to help you choose items with the right stats, followed by advice on how to choose your gear and your trinkets.
This page is part of our Protection Warrior PvP Guide.
Stat Priority for Protection Warriors in PvP
The stat priority for Protection Warriors in PvP is as follows:
- Mastery = Critical Strike
Item level became a lot stronger in Shadowlands, which means that a piece with higher item level is generally an upgrade as long as it has some some Versatility on it.
Your gear goal should be to be fully equipped in Conquest gear. If you have a difficult time climbing rating to upgrade the Conquest gear, then you can pick up these pieces from PvE content, as they hold roughly equal power to conquest gear.
Useful PvE Gear
- Head — Darkfrost Helmet
- Shoulders — Pauldrons of Unleashed Pride
- Legs — Halkias's Towering Pillars or Ceremonial Parade Legguards
- Back — Blighted Margrave's Cloak or Cowled Batwing Cloak
- Hands — Fleshfused Crushers
- Waist — Scarred Bloodbound Girdle
- Fingers — Ritual Bone Band and/or Hyperlight Band
- Weapon #2 — Rimebinder's Runeblade
Note: it is important to be wearing 2 PvP trinkets. This will give you a boost to the offensive portion of your Versatility.
Unchained Gladiator's Medallion is a mandatory trinket to have equipped at all times. If you play Human, swap the medallion out with Sinful Gladiator's Relentless Brooch. Do not ever swap out these trinkets.
Unchained Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity is the biggest damage increase you can get. As Protection Warrior, it gives you a good chunk of Haste as well and is great for offensive pressure overall.
Unchained Gladiator's Shackles can potentially make for a good trinket for Protection Warrior, as the healing absorption can be stronger than your damage output as a tank.
Unchained Gladiator's Emblem gives you an extra defensive by giving you a temporary health increase. This should be used if your priority is to survive and you know you are the kill target. Activating this trinket can then further empower Rallying Cry on you, should it be necessary.
Gems and Enchants
In Patch 9.1 Domination Shards and Sockets have made their way into the game. These are currently being experimented with.
Here are the best enchants and gems for a Protection Warrior:
- Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Eternal Strength
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Soul Vitality
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Eternal Stats
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Tenet of Versatility
- Main Hand Enchant: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
- Off Hand Enchant: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
Gem all of your gear with Versatile Jewel Cluster.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- Monk Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40196)
- Two In-Game Paintings Desexualized in Patch 9.1.5
- Demon Hunter Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40196)
- Legendary Scrapping in Patch 9.1.5: How to Destroy Legendaries into Materials
- Death Knight Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40196)
- A Preview of All New Druid Travel Forms Coming in Patch 9.1.5
- New 9.1.5 Highmountain Tauren Customizations
- Tempest Keep Classic Cleared World First by Salad Bakers in a Little Over an Hour