Unholy Death Knight PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
Unholy Death Knights in the Current Meta
Unholy Death Knights are the most unique melee specialization in the game. Most of their damage comes from their pet. Not only that, but they have to keep track of two resources: Runic Power and Runes. Unlike other melee classes that have strong single- target damage, Unholy Death Knights have the ability to AoE down entire teams. To add to this, you also have to maintain buffs, diseases, your pet and Runic Power. Unholy Death Knights are one of the hardest melee classes to master, but are certainly worth learning.
Strengths of Unholy Death Knights
- Strong burst damage
- Great consistent damage
- Multiple defensive cooldowns
Weaknesses of Unholy Death Knights
- Limited crowd control
- Predictable burst damage
- Little to no mobility
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Unholy Death Knight PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Unholy Death Knight PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (damaging, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Unholy Death Knight PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Unholy Death Knight PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Unholy Death Knight PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Unholy Death Knights in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Unholy Death Knight PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Unholy Death Knights.
- On the Unholy Death Knight Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Unholy Death Knights, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 17 Nov. 2019: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 06 Jul. 2019: Updated Major and Minor Essence sections.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 04 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent Table
- Updated Tier 5 regular talent.
- Updated PvP talents.
- Updated Burst and sustained damage rotations.
- Updated Defensives.
- 28 Apr. 2019: Updated Azerite Traits section.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 09 Mar. 2019: Made several changes to the guide.
- Updated Stat Priority.
- Updated Azerite Traits section.
- Updated Gear Recommendations section.
- Updated Tier 5 talent section.
- Updated PvP Talents.
- Updated Burst Rotation.
- 03 Jan. 2019: Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- 04 Oct. 2018: Added Azerite Traits section.
- Added Recommended Gear section.
- Added Talent Table.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Removed PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- 02 Sep. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Added Stat priority.
- Updated all regular talents sections.
- Added PvP (War Mode) talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Added section for your pet.
- Updated Burst Damage and Sustained Damage sections.
- Updated Defensive section.
- Updated Macros section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Removed Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 16 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 30 Mar. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- 02 Feb. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 24 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2.
- 20 Sep. 2017: Performed several changes for Patch 7.3
- Removed Artifact Trait descriptions.
- Changed recommended tier 3 regular talents.
- Changed recommended tier 5 honor talents.
- Updated burst and sustained damage rotations.
- 19 Jul. 2017: Changed recommended tier 1 and 3 regular and tier 4 honor talents. Also updated burst and sustained damage rotation.
- 22 May 2017: Guide added.
- Hunter Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Shaman Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warlock Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Mage Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Death Knight Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warrior Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Demon Hunter Covenant Ability Tuning: September 23rd
- Significant Monk Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd