Survival Hunter PvP Guide (Shadowlands 9.2.5)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Hunter PvP guide.
Survival Hunters in the Current Meta
Survival Hunters are one of the best melee specializations in the game right now. They not only have some of the best single-target sustained damage, they also have a large amount of control on enemy players. They use abilities like Tracker's Net/ or Tar Trap to slow an entire team, or Harpoon and Freezing Trap to lock a healer down.
Strengths of Survival Hunter
- Consistent crowd control abilities
- Decent mobility
- Strong burst damage
Weaknesses of Survival Hunter
- Difficult for newer players
- Weak against teams with multiple stuns
- Very few defensive cooldowns
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Survival Hunters in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Survival Hunters.
- On the Survival Hunter Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Survival Hunters, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 29 Jul. 2022: Page reviewed for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- 10 Nov. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 03 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 30 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 29 Nov. 2020: Added Covenant page, removed Azerite mentions, and updated gear section.
- 16 Oct. 2020: This page was checked for patch 9.0.1 and no updates were necessary.
- New Stay Awhile and Listen Dialogue Between Baine Bloodhoof and Mayla Highmountain in Dragonflight
- A Preview of Vicious Mounts in Dragonflight Season 1
- Patch 9.2.7 and Wrath Classic Hotfixes: September 29th
- Battle for Undercity Quest Fix
- Dragonflight Group Loot and BoE Clarifications
- Embodiment of the Storm-Eater Preview in Dragonflight
- New Map Model in Dragonflight
- The Winds of Wisdom XP Buff Returns on October 4