Survival Hunter PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Hunter PvP guide.
Survival Hunters in the Current Meta
Survival Hunters are one of the best melee specializations in the game right now. They not only have some of the best single-target sustained damage, they also have a large amount of control on enemy players. They use abilities like Tracker's Net/ or Tar Trap to slow an entire team, or Harpoon and Freezing Trap to lock a healer down.
Strengths of Survival Hunter
- Consistent crowd control abilities
- Decent mobility
- Strong burst damage
Weaknesses of Survival Hunter
- Difficult for newer players
- Weak against teams with multiple stuns
- Very few defensive cooldowns
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Survival Hunters in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Survival Hunter PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Survival Hunters.
- On the Survival Hunter Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Survival Hunters, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 28 Jan. 2020: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 04 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tier 1 regular talent.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 28 Apr. 2019: Several changes made to the guide.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tier 5 regular talent.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 27 Jan. 2019: Updated Gear Recommendations section and Item Recommendations.
- 13 Dec. 2018: Updated Azerite traits section.
- 12 Dec. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.
- 07 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added talent table.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Revamped guide.
- Removed PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- Added Azerite trait section.
- 04 Sep. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Added Stat priority.
- Updated all regular talents.
- Added PvP (War Mode) talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Updated Burst Damage and Sustained Damage sections.
- Updated Defensive section.
- Added Pets section.
- Updated Macros section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Removed Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 21 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 10 Apr. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- 13 Feb. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 24 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2.
- 21 Sep. 2017: Several changes needed for Patch 7.3
- Removed Artifact Trait descriptions.
- Changed recommended tier 5 regular talents.
- Changed recommended tier 4 honor talents.
- 12 Jul. 2017: Updated recommended Tier 2 and 4 regular talents, as well as sustained and burst damage rotations.
- 26 Apr. 2017: Added Roar of Sacrifice under defensive techniques.
- 09 Apr. 2017: Checked and confirmed that no updates are needed for Patch 7.2.
- 20 Mar. 2017: Survival Hunter PvP guide created.
- Jailer Hound Mounts in Shadowlands
- Original WoW Designer on World Buffs and Their Creation/Purpose
- The Man of a Hundred Armor Sets: the Handclaw Interview
- Naked Paladin One-Shotting the Horde
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34490: Class Changes
- Unique Icy Veins Death Knight Armor Set by Handclaw
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34490: New Anima Powers
- Shade Beast Mounts in Shadowlands