Frost Mage PvP Guide (Shadowlands 9.2)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Mage PvP guide.
Frost Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Frost Mages are typically one of the strongest caster specs in PvP. Mages not only excel at getting crowd control and relentlessly slowing enemies, but they also have great burst damage. With short burst cooldowns and strong crowd control, Frost Mages are capable of controlling entire teams. One Polymorph can turn an entire game around. With the changes to Frost in Patch 9.2, Frost will likely see its place within the meta moreso now, dominating caster compositions such as Destruction Warlock, Frost Mage, Restoration Druid, or Shadow Priest, Frost Mage, Holy Paladin.
Changes in Patch 9.2
Frost Mage has not seen many changes in Patch 9.2, with the most significant changes being a reduction of Frozen Orb's and Blizzard's damage, as well as Comet Storm no longer removing Winter's Chill. With the introduction of Unity as a second Covenant-specific Legendary, Necrolord Frost Mage will be a force to be reckoned with.
- The 2-set bonus for wearing 2 PvP trinkets has been reworked to instead grant 175 Intellect and 350 Stamina.
- Tier Sets are back, granting additional bonuses from Frost Mage 2-Piece and Frost Mage 4-Piece for Frost Mage.
- Five new PvP trinkets have been added:
Frost Mages' Strengths
- Great control
- Multiple defensive cooldowns
- Strong burst damage
- Relatively strong sustained damage
Frost Mages' Weaknesses
- Forced to cast most abilities
- Predictable burst damage
- Low Durability when out of cooldowns
- Only one school of casting
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Frost Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Frost Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Frost Mages.
- On the Frost Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Frost Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated strength and weaknesses for Patch 9.0.5.
- 23 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Heartbond Lupine Flying Animation in Patch 9.2.5
- Cool New Patch 9.2.5 Windrunner Easter Egg
- Kalimdorathon: Running Kalimdor from South to North IRL
- Patch 9.2.5 Survival Guide - Everything Coming in the World of Warcraft Update
- The Ultimate Silvermoonception
- World First Hardcore Level 99 in Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Season 1
- Bird's Eye View of Various World of Warcraft Maps
- Enigma Arena Changes