Frost Mage PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Mage PvP guide.
Frost Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Frost Mages are notorious for always being one of the best PvP specs. Mages not only excel at getting crowd control and relentlessly slowing enemies, but they also have great burst damage. With short burst cooldowns and strong crowd control, Frost Mages are capable of controlling entire teams. One Polymorph can turn an entire game around.
Frost Mages' Strengths
- Great control
- Multiple defensive cooldowns
- Strong burst damage
Frost Mages' Weaknesses
- Little to no sustained damage
- Predictable burst damage
- Low mobility
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Frost Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Frost Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Frost Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Frost Mages.
- On the Frost Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Frost Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 26 Dec. 2019: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 06 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Azerite Traits section.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tier 7 regular talent.
- Updated PvP talents section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 27 May 2019: Made several changes to the guide.
- Updated Azerite Traits.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Defensive section.
- 27 Apr. 2019: Updated PvP Talents.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 27 Jan. 2019: Updated Gear Recommendations section and Item Recommendations.
- 13 Dec. 2018: Updated Azerite traits section.
- 12 Dec. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.
- 19 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added talent table and updated recommended tier 4 regular talent.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Revamped guide.
- Removed Artifact Traits, Relics, PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- Added Stat Priority and Azerite trait sections.
- 27 Aug. 2018: Updated Air Drops section.
- 21 Jul. 2018: Updated Tier 4, 6, and 7 regular talents.
- Updated recommended PvP talents.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Added Shatter Combinations section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage sections.
- 20 Jul. 2018: Updated Tier 5 regular talent. Changed recommended Horde race.
- 18 Jul. 2018: Updated Frost Mage PvP for Patch 8.0.1
- End of Fall of the Lich King Remastered Cinematic
- How Addons Affect Raid Design - A Morgan Day Interview
- Heroic Darkshore Warfront Available for Horde Players (US)
- Class Balance Changes: February 25th
- Horrific Visions Changes Coming on February 25
- Heroic Darkshore Warfront Available for Alliance Players (EU)
- Don't Forget to Opt In for Shadowlands Beta
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 20th
- VuhDo: a Comprehensive Guide
- Fire Mage PvP 8.3
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Fury Warrior 8.3
- Assassination Rogue 8.3
- Frost Death Knight PvP 8.3
- Titan Research Archive
- Unholy Aoe Question