Demonology Warlock PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Warlock PvP guide.
Demonology Warlocks in the Current Meta
Demonology Warlocks are the strongest Warlock spec right now. They have the same crowd control as all the other specs, but they are much harder to kill. They have utility in the form of Fear and a passive defensive, Soul Link, that makes them a bad target to focus. If the Demonology Warlock is left unchecked, they can easily burst an enemy down in seconds.
Strengths of Demonology Warlocks
- Great control
- Decent mobility
- Strong consistent damage
Weaknesses of Demonology Warlocks
- Limited mobility
- Predictable burst damage
- Very few defensive cooldowns
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Demonology Warlock PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Demonology Warlock PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (opener, burst damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Demonology Warlock PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Demonology Warlock PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Demonology Warlock PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Demonology Warlocks in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Demonology Warlock PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Demonology Warlocks.
- On the Demonology Warlock Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Demonology Warlocks, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: updated Alliance races.
- 07 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tiers 3 and 7 regular talents.
- Updated PvP talents section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 28 Apr. 2019: Several changes made to the guide.
- Updated Azerite Traits.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tier 7 regular talent.
- Updated Burst Damage rotation.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 24 Feb. 2018: Updated Talent Table.
- 31 Jan. 2019: Updated Gear Recommendations.
- 25 Dec. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.1.
- Updated Azerite traits.
- 23 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 16 Oct. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Added Stat Priority.
- Added Azerite traits.
- Added Talent Table.
- Updated all regular talents.
- Updated Burst Damage and Sustained Damage section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Removed Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 02 Jun. 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 19 Apr. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- 29 Jan. 2018: Fixed link to second artifact trait.
- 21 Jan. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 08 Dec. 2017: Several changes made for Patch 7.3.2.
- Updated "About the Author".
- Changed recommended Tier 4 regular talents.
- 21 Sep. 2017: Several changes made for Patch 7.3.
- Removed Artifact Trait descriptions.
- Changed recommended tier 4 and 7 regular talents.
- Changed recommended tier 3 honor talents.
- Updated burst and sustained damage rotations.
- 01 Jul. 2017: Updated recommended Tier 3 regular talent and added Demonic Circle as something to do in the opener.
- 26 Apr. 2017: Guide added.
- Hunter Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Shaman Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warlock Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Mage Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Death Knight Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warrior Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Demon Hunter Covenant Ability Tuning: September 23rd
- Significant Monk Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd