Assassination Rogue PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Rogue PvP guide.
Assassination Rogues in the Current Meta
Assassination Rogues have the strongest consistent damage out of all three Rogue specializations. With an emphasis on poisons and using them for sustained damage, they are a threat to all classes. This strong sustained damage in combination with stuns, Blind, and countless other forms of crowd control means the Assassination Rogue has some of the best control a spec can have.
Strengths of Assassination Rogues
- Great control
- Decent mobility
- Strong burst damage
Weaknesses of Assassination Rogues
- Weak to teams with two melee on it
- Predictable burst damage
- Very few defensive cooldowns
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Assassination Rogues in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Assassination Rogues.
- On the Assassination Rogue Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Assassination Rogues, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 26 Dec. 2019: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: updated Alliance races.
- 29 Jun. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated PvP talents.
- Updated Burst rotation.
- 09 May 2019: Several changes made to the guide.
- Updated Azerite Traits.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent table.
- Updated Tier 1 regular talent.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 31 Jan. 2019: Updated Gear Recommendations.
- 25 Dec. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.1.
- Updated Azerite traits.
- Updated Tier 3 Regular talent.
- Updated Playstyle section.
- Updated Burst damage section.
- Updated Best Team Compositions section.
- 07 Dec. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added Azerite traits section and talent table.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Removed PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- 02 Sep. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Added Stat priority.
- Updated tier 1, 2, 5, and 7 regular talent sections.
- Added PvP (War Mode) talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Updated Burst Damage and Sustained Damage sections.
- Updated Macros section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Updated Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 13 Jun. 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 24 Apr. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- 07 Feb. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 24 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2.
- 09 Sep. 2017: Removed Artifact Trait descriptions and changed recommended tier 6 honor talents.
- 21 Jun. 2017: Updated guide for Patch 7.2.5.
- Changed recommended talent for Tier 6 regular talents.
- Changed recommended talent for Tier 3 regular talents.
- Made adjustments to "Burst Rotation".
- 10 May 2017: Guide created.
- Hunter Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Shaman Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warlock Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Mage Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Death Knight Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warrior Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Demon Hunter Covenant Ability Tuning: September 23rd
- Significant Monk Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd