Assassination Rogue PvP Guide (Shadowlands 9.1)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Rogue PvP guide.
Assassination Rogues in the Current Meta
Assassination Rogues have high consistent damage thanks to their bleeds as well as powerful burst damage with Vendetta. They also have improved poisons, allowing them to have a strong slow and a strong healing reduction effect. The recently added Hemotoxin ability grants them an extremely high healing reduction effect on a short cooldown, making their setups even more lethal. They provide less control than other Rogue specializations but their damage and their silence effect, Garrote, make up for it.
Noteworthy Patch 9.1 Changes
- The Honor Talent Hemotoxin has been added. As a consequence, Deadly Poison will often be played over Wound Poison. Hemotoxin applies a powerful healing reduction effect to your target on your kill attempts and it overrides Wound Poison, so it is better to have more damage by using Deadly Poison. The increased overall damage is sometimes as high as 20% to 25%!
- The Honor Talent Dismantle has been added.
- The Honor Talent Thick as Thieves has been added.
- The Honor Talent Maneuverability has been slightly buffed and now removes roots upon use.
- The Cloaked in Shadows Conduit has been nerfed and now lasts up to 4s (was permanent).
- The Mark of the Master Assassin Legendary has been nerfed and now lasts 2.4 seconds in PvP combat (was 4 seconds).
Strengths of Assassination Rogues
- Great burst
- Good sustained damage
- Decent control
- Excellent utility
Weaknesses of Assassination Rogues
- No defensive abilities when stunned
- Long cooldown on defensive abilities
- Reliant on teammates to stay alive
- Predictable burst damage
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Assassination Rogues in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Assassination Rogue PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Assassination Rogues.
- On the Assassination Rogue Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Assassination Rogues, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 21 Jul. 2021: Added small changes.
- 03 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 06 Apr. 2021: Rewritten by Shadenox and further updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 10 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 29 Nov. 2020: Removed old Azerite mentions and updated gear page.
- 27 Nov. 2020: Added Covenant page.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- More Realistic 3D Renders of WoW Characters
- Shadowlands 9.1 Season 2 Mythic+ DPS, Tank and Healer Log Rankings, Week 14
- Rogue Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- Death Knight Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- Finkle Einhorn Renamed to Pip Quickwit
- Patch 9.1, BCC and WoW Classic Hotfixes: October 12th
- Unlock Sarge Free in World of Warcraft Starting Today
- Players Waiting in Line for Loot from the Weekly Chest