Restoration Shaman Dragonflight Leveling Guide From 1 to 60 (Dragonflight 10.0.2)
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. The only exception to this rule is if you have a Ring or Necklace with a slightly lower item level, but 2 secondary stats on it instead of 1.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as an Restoration Shaman
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 10.
Your talent set up should be as follows, with the order listed being a suggestion, but not a mandatory thing: feel free to pick talents up in the order you feel suits your playstyle best!
Rotation to Level Up as an Restoration Shaman
Starting at Level 1, you only have one main damaging ability: Lightning Bolt. This will change at level 10 when you select Restoration as your specialization and unlock other abilities. Until then, use Lightning Bolt to kill targets and make use of Flame Shock when it unlocks at level 3, and of Lightning Shield once it unlocks at level 9.
- Keep Lightning Shield active on yourself;
- Apply Flame Shock if it is absent;
- Cast Healing Rain (with Acid Rain) against 3+ enemies that will live through its duration;
- Cast Stormkeeper whenever available;
- Cast Lava Burst whenever available;
- Cast Chain Lightning against two or more targets;
- Cast Lightning Bolt as a filler on a single target.
Starting at Level 15, you are able to queue for dungeons with the in-game group finder. You should aim to do this whenever possible while in Restoration specialization, as it is an efficient way to level up while learning your healing kit. In order to understand in-depth how to use this kit, especially at higher levels, check out our rotation page, but we have added a short summary below:
- Cast Riptide and Healing Stream Totem whenever possible;
- Cast Chain Heal if multiple people in your group are hurt and close to each other;
- Cast Healing Surge on damaged allies;
- Use your DPS rotation (detailed above) if no healing is required.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Restoration Shaman
In order to avoid overloading the guide with redundant information which is easily understood from opening your spell book and talent pane, we would advise you to read our detailed spell guide for the detailed information on each spell and talent, and how they are used in WoW.
Restoration Shaman War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content. Below is a ranking of both General PvP Talents and Restoration Shaman-specific PvE talents.
Restoration Shaman PvP Talents for Leveling
- Counterstrike Totem replicates and reflects damage you take for 15 seconds, on a 45-second cooldown. This can be really strong when in a high damage area to deal some chip damage to targets around you and convert your health pool into additional damage.
- Swelling Waves provides extra self-healing, which can be occasionally useful.
- Skyfury Totem increases the critical effect of spells of allies within 40 yards by 20% for 15 seconds, with a 40-second cooldown. It is good for solo play, but excellent if you are doing outdoors content with others.
Other talents have their own niches, but are not as generally useful when leveling.
Best Heirloom Items for Restoration Shaman Leveling
When purchasing Heirloom Items for Leveling in general, we recommend picking the Heirloom items that have the highest amount of Haste possible. Having high Haste is a large DPS contribution and makes the rotation feel better to perform.
Haste is also useful for being a little bit quicker to tag mobs around you. A split second can make the difference between you getting a tag, or losing it to another player.
There are several consumable items that can be purchased that will help you with your leveling speed.
- Gunshoes are an Engineering item that increase your movement speed by 200% for 25 seconds. These will make you almost as fast as a Flying mount. We recommend having a lot of these, and using them whenever you are traveling more than ~250 yards.
- Goblin Glider Kit is very useful for covering long distances from high places.
The Gunshoes will not let you stop moving as long as they are active. Using this macro twice will click the buff off and allow you to stop.
- /use Gunshoes
- /cancelaura Gunshoes
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Black Empire Map Exploration in Dragonflight
- Very Useful Interact Button Tip
- Aiding the Accord Weekly Quest Progress Carries Over from Previous Week
- To-Do List for Dragonflight Week #2
- An Overview of Mount Rewards in Dragonflight Season 1
- Vault of the Incarnates Death Knight Tier Set and Set Bonuses
- Torghast in Dragonflight: Easy Achievements & Mounts
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.2 Hotfixes, December 5th: Massive Class Tuning